Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 04-01-2010

Default Advice needed!

Hi, I am new to the sport of rc car racing and I need some advice like what are the best tyres to use on a 4 wheel drive buggy and what are the best batteries to use. Any other advice to help be become a good racer would be greatly appreaceated. (I have already got a 6.5 turn brushless motor and speed control)

In progress: Team Durango DEX410 V1-V4 hybrid ~ DESC410V2 ~ DEX210
Old 04-01-2010

Default advice

go to your local club they are a nice set of lads at bury , pm mattb , shanks or tyson on here .
Old 04-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well tyre wise best place to start is Schumacher Yellow Minispikes. They are pretty much the standard tyre, and work well outdoors at Goshen when new, and indoors at Chadderton when worn. They are however pretty hopeless in the wet.
For wet weather most people use either Schumacher green minispikes or Ballistic Buggy green spikes.

Battery wise a single decent lipo is all you'll need. Something in the 4000mAh+ range and 25C or better discharge rating. These are quite good value for money

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 04-01-2010

their is only 3 sets of tyres you need at bury
dry - sch minispike yellow.
wet - ballistic buggy green
indoors - sch yellow mini pin
Old 04-01-2010
Mad Member

also, if you can, trim the ESC (electronic Speed controller) or throttle on your radio a bit down.
In my humble opinion, a 6.5 motor is bit "hot" to start with. You can always spice back up once you master the speed and the buggy completely.

Very often, beginning drivers loose much time, laps, ... by making too many mistakes when driving. It's better (again IMHO) to learn to drive flawless in the beginning.
Old 04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Battery wise a single decent lipo is all you'll need. Something in the 4000mAh+ range and 25C or better discharge rating. These are quite good value for money
Would I need to top up the charge in that battery pack at the track or would it last all day on one charge? Because I don't have a readily available 12v power source as i'm only 15 so i don't have a car to charge it from.

Old 04-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Would I need to top up the charge in that battery pack at the track or would it last all day on one charge? Because I don't have a readily available 12v power source as i'm only 15 so i don't have a car to charge it from.
Thats OK, you have options there. There are a few (like 2!) plug sockets located in the cabin under the rostrum so bring a multiplier and you can use a mains charger, or if you prefer you can hook on to someones 12V as we normally have a few around. You'll probably need to use someones table to wrench on too but again that shouldn't be an issue - we are friendly enough lot. Well except for Ty who's a moody git

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 04-01-2010

Quote:
Thats OK, you have options there. There are a few (like 2!) plug sockets located in the cabin under the rostrum so bring a multiplier and you can use a mains charger, or if you prefer you can hook on to someones 12V as we normally have a few around. You'll probably need to use someones table to wrench on too but again that shouldn't be an issue - we are friendly enough lot. Well except for Ty who's a moody git
Right then i'll get a big extention lead, a lipo charger and that battery when I can afford it. I'll also get a folding table to wrench on. They are only 20 quid.

Old 04-01-2010
Mad Member

Default help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-p View Post
go to your local club they are a nice set of lads at bury , pm mattb , shanks or tyson on here .
for the out door track we all use schumacher mini spike yellow or if its wet ballistic buggy mini spike green mate ps dont bother pm,ing shanks or tyson they are both useless LMAO
Old 04-01-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Right then i'll get a big extention lead, a lipo charger and that battery when I can afford it. I'll also get a folding table to wrench on. They are only 20 quid.
I BRING A MASSIVE TRUCK BATTERY YOU CAN PLUG ON THAT IF YA WANT PAL
Old 04-01-2010

if i were you id get the biggest mah batts i can afford,if using lipo try to get no less then a 30c rating,as for tyers yellow minispikes with medium inserts for the dry,in the wet go for ballistic buggy greens medium inserts.send wOody a pm hel tell you whats what he's been racing at bury since year . .
Old 04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob m View Post
if i were you id get the biggest mah batts i can afford,if using lipo try to get no less then a 30c rating,as for tyers yellow minispikes with medium inserts for the dry,in the wet go for ballistic buggy greens medium inserts.
I've just bought a new battery a ni-mh 4200mah so i'll run with that until i need a lipo.

Old 04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-p View Post
if you decide to pm matt b. all he will tell you is to buy a paint brush for keeping the car clean,like really clean! thats all he is good at doing! his driving is no good so he cant give any advice on that
Old 04-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You might want more than 1 NiMH pack as unlike lipos they don't really like being topped up but 4200 should give you a couple of races without even needing to recharge. Your setup will be faster with Lipos, but then again perhaps its a good thing that you are starting with NiMH's then, there is such a thing as too fast (See Johnny for details.....) especially when learning. And it will give you something to upgrade to later.

For now, if you can't make our indoor series and are stuck in Bury so can't do Roundabout in Denton, then as Rob suggested your best bet is get practising. The track at Goshen is there all year round, and the fence is quite low so go and have a go. The track markers won't be out, but you'll get the rough idea. Practise the jumps, the hairpin at the end of the straight and get a feel for your car on the surface.
Keep an eye on here because we often have practise sessions with a bunch of us (like last Saturday) so people will be around to lend a hand. Bear in mind on an unofficial practise day we won't have electricity so mains chargers won't work. Charge up before hand and run till you go flat!

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 05-01-2010

Quote:
I've just bought a new battery a ni-mh 4200mah so i'll run with that until i need a lipo.
Just come down to the club with what ever you have pal and have a race. You dont need to get geared up to come down and race, plently of advise and different setups to look at trackside.

*By the way use mattb's MASSIVE ! Battery by all means, but like Zammo used to say "JUST SAY NO" to a ride in his BIG TRUCK!!....... Nowt as queer as folk, but he is a NICE lad really
Old 05-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
their is only 3 sets of tyres you need at bury
dry - sch minispike yellow.
wet - ballistic buggy green
indoors - sch yellow mini pin
Please can somebody post some links to where they buy their tyres and rims from. Thanks

Old 05-01-2010

Quote:
Please can somebody post some links to where they buy their tyres and rims from. Thanks
Closest model shop to you will be JE Spares based in Middleton pal, use the link at the top of the oOple page for phone no and address.
Web site has a live stock on products so you can see if they have it in stock before you go...
Old 05-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Front wheels

Rear Wheels

(Hot Bodies so should be a direct fit on a Brama)

Tyres page is here but they are out of stock for Schumacher Yellows.
Ballistic green fronts
Ballistic green rears

You'll also need foam inserts , medium front and rears.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 05-01-2010

Quote:
Front wheels

Rear Wheels

(Hot Bodies so should be a direct fit on a Brama)

Tyres page is here but they are out of stock for Schumacher Yellows.
Ballistic green fronts
Ballistic green rears

You'll also need foam inserts , medium front and rears.
Will those tyres need glueing to the rims if so how?

Old 05-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yes.

Really, you need a proper tyre glue like this . Its superglue, but very thin and runny. Fit the tyre to the wheel, then pull the sidewall on one side up slightly and add a drop of glue to the rim, before replacing the tyre. Gentle rotate the wheel and the glue should spread around the rim. Repeat on the other side of the tyre.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC