Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 06-05-2013

Default DB01 Externally Adjustable Diffs

Has anyone tried using the modern crop of diff screws in the DB01 to make them adjustable without removing the driveshafts? I really enjoy this feature on the 201 and would like to incorporate it the next time I rebuild the Durga.

I imagine the 416 diff screw/nut is the ideal place to start. The 201's screw/nut seems oversized by comparison (I think 2.5mm vs 2mm).

416 Diff Screw & Nut 51341 & 9804374
Old 01-06-2013

Here is the DB01/501X/511 Diff with a TRF416 Diff screw installed. This makes the diff externally adjustable with only an allen key. No more popping ball cups and removing driveshafts for diff adjustment.

All you need to do is swap the stock diff screw out for the one inside 51341:

Here we see the new slotted screw:

Lock the screw by slipping a 1.5mm allen key into the outdrive and through the screw slot. Adjust the screw by turning the opposite wheel. This turns the nut on the opposite end of the screw and makes the adjustment. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Make adjustments in 1/4 turn increments at most:
]

This illustrates the odd angle at which you must insert the key. This is because of the bulky DB01 Gearbox. Of course it would be possible to make a notch in the gearbox to ease the angle a bit. At this point you are getting the key into the screw slot purely by feel. It's too deep in there to see (plus I still have the red foam dust protector):