Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 19-09-2016

Default Just a couple of things

Sorry for being the annoying newbie, just a couple of things 1, who do I pay to become a member and what do I get with it? 2) steering servo upgrade, would it make the car handle better? What's the differnce between one that's says 3kg and 22kg? Sorry again.
Old 19-09-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The first one is easy - just turn up any Sunday we are racing (like this one) and ask in race control. Failing that ask Birdy on here as he handles membership (and pretty much everything else for that matter).
What does it get you? Well it costs less to race at our meetings is the main thing, but also you get a discount at a number of stores and the code to access our rostrum for practice on non-race days. So it doesn't take a lot to make it worth joining.

In servo terms, for 1/10th speed is more important than torque. Admittedly 3kg is a bit low - 8-10kg is fine and you certainly don't need 22kg! What you do want is a speed of around 0.1s or lower, metal gears and digital.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
The first one is easy - just turn up any Sunday we are racing (like this one) and ask in race control. Failing that ask Birdy on here as he handles membership (and pretty much everything else for that matter).
What does it get you? Well it costs less to race at our meetings is the main thing, but also you get a discount at a number of stores and the code to access our rostrum for practice on non-race days. So it doesn't take a lot to make it worth joining.

In servo terms, for 1/10th speed is more important than torque. Admittedly 3kg is a bit low - 8-10kg is fine and you certainly don't need 22kg! What you do want is a speed of around 0.1s or lower, metal gears and digital.
Is there any you would recommend or stay clear of?
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullan84 View Post
Is there any you would recommend or stay clear of?
Savox, core-rc, hitec, futaba, ko propo, depends on budget, Savox are quite reliable and don't cost too much around £45 but you can go crazy and spend over £150, just avoid slower servos and low profile ones and you should be fine.
Schumacher Cat K2
Schumacher KF2
Tamiya DF03 Dark Impact
Tamiya TB04
Vintage Tamiya TL01 Baja Champ
Vintage Tamiya Striker
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navek668 View Post
Savox, core-rc, hitec, futaba, ko propo, depends on budget, Savox are quite reliable and don't cost too much around £45 but you can go crazy and spend over £150, just avoid slower servos and low profile ones and you should be fine.
Cheers pal. Trying to keep it cheap as possible.
Is this any good?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Turnigy-T...ATCHING_ACTIVE
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Cheers pal. Trying to keep it cheap as possible.
Is this any good?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Turnigy-T...ATCHING_ACTIVE
Probably be a be a bit too much of a handful, I don't know anyone at BMRCC that would use a 3.5t motor, most I think use a 5.5t or 6.5t on 4wd or 7.5t on 2wd, if you are just getting back into rc that will probably not help having too much power its more about learning how the car handles first then trying to build up speed and control, i don't pretend to know everything only being relatively new myself but would look for something like the above and get a decent esc that you can adjust as you get quicker to give more speed and timing rather than a very quick motor straight away
Schumacher Cat K2
Schumacher KF2
Tamiya DF03 Dark Impact
Tamiya TB04
Vintage Tamiya Striker
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navek668 View Post
Probably be a be a bit too much of a handful, I don't know anyone at BMRCC that would use a 3.5t motor, most I think use a 5.5t or 6.5t on 4wd or 7.5t on 2wd, if you are just getting back into rc that will probably not help having too much power its more about learning how the car handles first then trying to build up speed and control, i don't pretend to know everything only being relatively new myself but would look for something like the above and get a decent esc that you can adjust as you get quicker to give more speed and timing rather than a very quick motor straight away
Yeah I agree with that, but with a decent esc I would be able to control the power output? To like 50-60%
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Yeah I agree with that, but with a decent esc I would be able to control the power output? To like 50-60%
Hi, yes you could but I would have to leave it to someone with more experience than me explain if it would affect the boost and timing functions, I'm not sure if they would still function the same or not, and how the motor would behave running at a lower capacity than produced to run at. I took my advice from the guys at Bolton Model mart and seems so far to have been about right I run a cat k2 with a 6.5 started off with zero boost and have slowly increased it once I felt comfortable.
Schumacher Cat K2
Schumacher KF2
Tamiya DF03 Dark Impact
Tamiya TB04
Vintage Tamiya Striker
Old 20-09-2016

Your nuts if your planning on putting that 3.5t in your buggy mate
Your probably better going the other way and running a 7.5t and cranking that up with your esc should you need to as opposed to using a 3.5t and slowing it down

However if you do put that 3.5t in I want to see it go
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Dixon View Post
Your nuts if your planning on putting that 3.5t in your buggy mate
Your probably better going the other way and running a 7.5t and cranking that up with your esc should you need to as opposed to using a 3.5t and slowing it down

However if you do put that 3.5t in I want to see it go
Lol I tempted to get it to piss me mate off. He has a FG petrol car. Just to see his face as I zoom past him lol.
I'm doing all this now because my Mrs is due in April so want to get all the stuff in place before that.
Old 21-09-2016
Mad Member

Yup, his expression would be priceless, as you zip past him upside down with bits flying off the car.

I've got a 4.5 i put in my 4wd "for a bit of a laugh". Can pop wheelies at will, even at the end of a 20+ m straight...........
Old 21-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
Yup, his expression would be priceless, as you zip past him upside down with bits flying off the car.

I've got a 4.5 i put in my 4wd "for a bit of a laugh". Can pop wheelies at will, even at the end of a 20+ m straight...........
Lol yeah a 3.5T isn't a good idea, I've seen a speed passion 6.5T on eBay and someone on here is selling a thunder power 6.5T . I've no idea which is better and what esc I would need to compliment it.
Old 21-09-2016

Quote:
Lol yeah a 3.5T isn't a good idea, I've seen a speed passion 6.5T on eBay and someone on here is selling a thunder power 6.5T . I've no idea which is better and what esc I would need to compliment it.
How long is a pieces of string ? All depends on what you want to spend, I have used Team Orion motors and also HPI motors with noticing little to no difference in performance but I'm no pro as for ESC the same again. I'm using the Absima cts at the moment and can't fault it, run a 7.5t in my 2wd and a 5.5t in my 4wd both powered with the Absima cts. New they are about £100

Or get on Hobbykings and get a 120amp esc for about £48
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT

Old 21-09-2016

Quote:
How long is a pieces of string ? All depends on what you want to spend, I have used Team Orion motors and also HPI motors with noticing little to no difference in performance but I'm no pro as for ESC the same again. I'm using the Absima cts at the moment and can't fault it, run a 7.5t in my 2wd and a 5.5t in my 4wd both powered with the Absima cts. New they are about £100

Or get on Hobbykings and get a 120amp esc for about £48
Cheers pal. So you think either motor with a hobby kings esc will be a good combo to get better with and to finally race with? It would have to a 100A, right?

Last edited by Mullan84; 21-09-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 21-09-2016

4wd I'd say at least 120a. Motors wise I'm not a fan of the speed passion due to the bullet connectors rather than direct soldering onto the motor it's just one more thing to fall off
Old 21-09-2016
Mad Member

Yeah, i use the SP bullets on road, but offroad i've had them pop off once or twice. Also find giving them a little squeeze helps.
Old 21-09-2016

I used the Hobbykings 120a esc in my 4wd as a bit of a stop gap and it had a 5.5t motor on the end of it and it performed well. I also agree with the above about the bullet connections on motors, not a fan of them myself and would always prefer a soldered connection as one less thing to worry about
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT

Old 21-09-2016

Quote:
I used the Hobbykings 120a esc in my 4wd as a bit of a stop gap and it had a 5.5t motor on the end of it and it performed well. I also agree with the above about the bullet connections on motors, not a fan of them myself and would always prefer a soldered connection as one less thing to worry about
This is the motor I'm looking at.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thunder-Powe...ATCHING_ACTIVE
Old 21-09-2016

How about this for a cheap steering servo?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Core-RC-9016...ATCHING_ACTIVE
Old 21-09-2016

Quote:
I've never used one of them but as long as it's working as it should it will be ok, nice and cheap too. Take usual precautions and look at the guys feedback
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT