Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 24-02-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
Those pictures are great! It looks like the early trf211x had madcap arms, a cf chassis and the superastute rear gearbox.

I think I have found a source where I can get the trf211 chassis plates.. so i might convert my dynastorm..
Wrong the 211X had all new parts, it was a totally new car and the base for the Dyna Storm (which i had at the time).
Old 24-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Wrong the 211X had all new parts, it was a totally new car and the base for the Dyna Storm (which i had at the time).
There appears to be two versions of the TRF 211X:-

Pre Dyna Storm

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=17681&sid=470

Post Dyna Storm

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...9011&sid=22258

I'm not sure if they were both coded as 211X, this maybe needs some clarification.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028
Old 24-02-2009
Mad Member

maybe it was 212x etc I do recall those names

Thats a cool later version with the Tub chassis. Thats one of the ones I recalled from a long while ago.

Ive remember seeing a 211x with white arms in the flesh, although I remember them looking like the Dyna arms but being more flexible.

The thing is with prototypes there are so many variations. I have an early Prototype TRF touring car which has a few elements from the 404x and unique chassis plates. The guy who gave it to me told me that they would refine the chassis themselves and send copies to their rep.
Old 28-02-2009

Ok, a little historic info

The "official" TRF211X was released to the team drivers early 1992. It was a mix of totally new parts and Super Astute suspension parts. It had a totally new gear box and new dampers. Later this was to be the base for the production Dyna Storm, however the chassis material was changed to FRP instead of carbon, the dampers were of the "sleeved" blue type, and it had a plastic front kickup plate instead of aluminium as on the TRF211X. Of course it also had new suspension arms, but the geometry was the same as the Super Astute/TRF211X arms apart from the damper mounts being moved inwards on the arms. The dyna storm also had a slightly different bodyshell, clearly inspired by the 211X but different.

The black car in the pictures is an original 211X but with Dyna storm suspension parts. The other one is a development version of the Dyna storm which I believe most Tamiya Team guys in Europe used during 1993. It's obviously inspired by the RC10 team car back then, using shorter suspension arms and short front dampers.

I have no idea what body shell is on the development Dyna Storm though. Infact that picture is the only one that I've seen on a Dyna Storm with the plastic chassis on..
Old 28-02-2009

Hi pUs,

I saw you replied to a guy selling a 211X on the TC forums a while ago, did you get it?
Old 28-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff84 View Post
Hi pUs,

I saw you replied to a guy selling a 211X on the TC forums a while ago, did you get it?
Nope, unfortunately not. Never received any further answers to my questions by PM. The car on the pictures looked ok, however I never got to know if the original body was still there. Also, there were some minor details on the car (can't remember exactly what atm) that did not look correct. Depending on the answer I planned to make him an offer.. too bad for him, I was prepared to shell out a lot of cash for that car..
Old 28-02-2009

I bet!

I think I can remember emailing you regarding 211Xs years ago on TC. In fact, was it you who sent me some of the photos in my showroom?
Old 01-03-2009

Hm, could have been. I remember talking to Steve Haynes (former UK team tamiya driver who has several 211Xs) through email a couple of years ago, he was about to scan a couple of old 211X official documents from Tamiya. However I can't access my old shell anymore so I don't know if he actually did it and sent it..
Old 01-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pUs View Post
Hm, could have been. I remember talking to Steve Haynes (former UK team tamiya driver who has several 211Xs) through email a couple of years ago, he was about to scan a couple of old 211X official documents from Tamiya. However I can't access my old shell anymore so I don't know if he actually did it and sent it..
Maybe a bit OT, but are you from Sweden?
Old 02-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentech View Post
Maybe a bit OT, but are you from Sweden?
Correct
Old 03-03-2009

Quote:
Correct
And you actually raced a TRF211 a very long time ago??
Old 04-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentech View Post
And you actually raced a TRF211 a very long time ago??
Unfortunately, no. never got the chance to race one. I was sponsored by Berico (swedish Tamiya distributor at the time) throughout 1992 and 1993, but Sweden only received two TRF211X cars. Magnus Balte in Gothenburg got one of them. Can't remember who the other guy was though..

I did some decent results in spring 1993 with the Top Force Evo and was eagerly waiting for the belt-driven 411X chassis at that point. However, Berico went bankrupt there and then and that pretty much ruined everything. As things turned out, the 411X was never even released as a production kit which was a shame.
Old 04-03-2009

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. never got the chance to race one. I was sponsored by Berico (swedish Tamiya distributor at the time) throughout 1992 and 1993, but Sweden only received two TRF211X cars. Magnus Balte in Gothenburg got one of them. Can't remember who the other guy was though..

I did some decent results in spring 1993 with the Top Force Evo and was eagerly waiting for the belt-driven 411X chassis at that point. However, Berico went bankrupt there and then and that pretty much ruined everything. As things turned out, the 411X was never even released as a production kit which was a shame.
Cool! Thanks for the info!
Old 15-04-2009

Default So where's the 2WD 511????????????

So does the further development of the 501 and recent release of the resulting 511 indicate that Tamiya has no aspirations to release a TRF worthy 2WD? I hope not

Here's my TC showroom
Old 16-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRETTI View Post
So does the further development of the 501 and recent release of the resulting 511 indicate that Tamiya has no aspirations to release a TRF worthy 2WD? I hope not
I would put some money on that we will indeed see a TRF 2wd in the not too distant future (say within 1 year)...probably sooner

But then again I never was a betting man...
Old 18-04-2009
Mad Member

Ive been racing a dynastorm with some new bespoke parts made by nimrod racing.. Its not quite a trf but the are helping the dynastorm start to compete a bit more.

I'll post a thread about it soon
Old 18-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
Ive been racing a dynastorm with some new bespoke parts made by nimrod racing.. Its not quite a trf but the are helping the dynastorm start to compete a bit more.

I'll post a thread about it soon
I guess you're talking about this stuff http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42222 I've been following this thread with great interest, awesome stuff especially the chassis.

Here's my TC showroom
Old 18-04-2009
Mad Member

yup, thats the stuff. Quite cool, Im also looking at my own carbon chassis
Old 27-04-2009

Trf 2wd within a year? that would really be nice.. With tamiya you'll never know ha ha..
Old 15-09-2009

Send a message via ICQ to bbq Send a message via MSN to bbq

the topic is hot one more time!