Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 22-02-2013

Default Brushless Upgrade - Atsushi Hara Edition HPI RS4 PRO 3

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an HPI RS4 PRO 3 Atsushi Hara Edition and wanted to run a brushless setup.

Is anyone currently running one of these pro 3's with a brushless setup?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a diff for this car as HPI have stopped supply.

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 22-02-2013
Mad Member

I used to run a Pro3. My first car when I got back into RC. It's an old, old car now though, I doubt many are still racing them.

Brushless motors are the same basic size as brushed ones so I doubt there will be any trobles fitting one. The Pro3's were a pain to fit NiMH batteries in so a square cased LiPo might be even more difficult.

As far as the parts go, eBay or old shop stock is your most likely source. The diffs outdrives were quite prone to damage if you didn't put bump-stops on the shocks.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't race a car that old unless you completely accept that there will be days you go home early with a breakage and with no chance of finding spares for weeks, months or eternity. I'd have it on the shelf as a curiosity of RC history.
Old 23-02-2013

I used to love the Pro3, got any pictures?
Old 24-02-2013

Sosidge - Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

I used to race years ago (a Losi XX4 WE which I still have ) and now I want to get back into racing.

I chose to run a Pro 3 because the chassis layout makes a lot of sense with the two heaviest components (batteries and motor) centrally positioned. Plus it was going very cheap indeed.

It seems most parts are still available on ebay and some model shops but I'm struggling to find a complete diff. The previous owner made the rear diff into a fixed axle for a drift setup so I need to get it replaced with a functioning diff.

I did find someone on ebid who had 3 brand new one way diffs for sale but at over £90 I feel this is excessive!

Your right about the batteries, there's only 135mm length in the battery bay which isn't enough to accommodate a lipo stick pack.... hmmm this will need some working out unless I can buy a shorter pack.

I feel this car can still be competitive enough against the newer chassis as it's design is quite brilliant. If I can get a fully up to date brushless system installed it would be interesting to see what it could do...

Bretts - The car is in bits at the moment ready for a complete rebuild. Once it's done I'll post some pics for sure

Tags
vintage