Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > East of England

Old 08-04-2013

Default Driver opinions...3 leg finals???

Good afternoon one and all. Now firstly I am trying to look at this as a good problem to have, at Holbeach in the end we had too many entries to be able to run 3 leg finals for all. Good from a financial and regional interest point of view, not so good as caused a few last minute head ache's. Personally I enjoy the 3 leg finals as I prefer "racing" instead of racing against the clock, but I am after your opinion's on this matter. I along with my trusty side kick have been going through a few ideas on how we can maximise the entry count and offer more racing for all...Please read on....

So after a conversation with the B.R.C.A we are running 4 qualifying heats. Now the good thing with this is I think people can look at this as though it's a practice round in heat format! The problem we went into the Holbeach meeting with was, with us normally running 3 leg finals for all finals, and with the much larger than expected entry list (63 of which 15 were open drivers running 19 cars), we would have been running somewhere near 60-65 heats so this was simply not possible. Now I am hoping by presenting you with some facts and figures I can try and ask your opinions on a couple of ideas.

Holbeach, we ran 10 qualifying heats (3 - 4wd, 3 - 2wd, 2 - S/C, 2 - Open, which was capped at 2 full heats), with 4 rounds of qualifying meaning a total of 40 heats. Finals we ran 1 leg for all except the A final 2wd & 4wd Regionals which were 3 legs, in total we had 13 Finals. So to summarize we had a total of 53 races, we started at 9.30 and finished at around 6pm, we lost a little time for a couple of nitro stock car races running behind us meaning we could not hear the start tones etc, and had to re-run 1 heat due to power trip, so say around 20-25minutes lost time max, the final listings were turned around in around 15-20 minutes. So 8 1/2 hours running time and with the unexpected delays we could probably have finished in around 7 1/2 - 7 3/4 hours.

Now the open class although some see as a practice for other regions (granted), which is true, also give a good opportunity to advertise our clubs venues to drivers from outside our area and possibly attract them back for future meetings. However I have always said I don't want the open class to ruin the EoE series. In hindsight if we had not have run the open class at Holbeach and instead ran 3 leg finals for all we would have ended up with around 53 races, so we could have done it, however with the late change in rule clarification I felt the best thing was to reduce the finals instead of turning 15 drivers away. Lesson learnt.

Now going forward, and this is where I would really appreciate your input. I was thinking on the way home from Holbeach how I can get around this, and an idea was put to me earlier this evening (Tuesday 2nd April). If say we capped the entry to 80/90 cars (8/9 full heats of 10), with around 2/3 drivers taking part in two classes this would be say 52 drivers. This is how we could plan out a race schedule...
8 heats (3 - 4wd, 3 - 2wd , 2 - S/C), with 4 rounds of qualifying totaling 32 heats. 8 Finals with 3 legs for all (A,B,C 4wd 9 finals, A,B,C 2wd 9 finals, A,B S/C 6 finals), totaling 24 finals. So giving us a grand total during the day of 56 races, now allowing 8 minutes for each heat including 3minutes generous turn around between heats, meaning it would in theory take 7h 28minutes (8h 26mins 9 heats maximum), to run the races, plus obviously any delays during the day, working out finals etc etc. So we could close booking for a Regional meeting on the Monday before the meeting, and if there are less than 52drivers 80cars then we could start taking bookings for an open class, this way maximizing our attendance figures and income for the host club and the Regional pot. Also we know we could run the 3 leg finals for all this way (possibly keeping the open class at 1 leg finals to save on time), or.......
We keep it as it is with a cap the open class at 2 full heats, and if we get enough regional drivers to make 8 full heats plus the 2 open heats we end up with the same situation as we found ourselves at Holbeach and only run 1 leg finals except the A finals, or.......
We scrap the open entries all together with the prospect that if we get 50-60 plus entries of all regional drivers it will not matter as we will have time and they will all be regional races, on the flip side if we only get 30 entries although we will have plenty of time to run the meeting, both the host club and regional pot would be short of funds.

Now I am asking for your input on this, I don't want to see an comments about the B.R.C.A rules, or any blame pointed to one person or another.

I want consistency for the remainder of the season, and I don't want people to view this as a switch around in the rules, more of a effort to keep you the drivers happy to race for the remainder of the season.

Many thanks in advance for your opinions.
Colin Parsfield
Old 08-04-2013

Why such a late start?
Why not start at 8.30?
Just to add something else.
Old 08-04-2013

Does that mean the results from holbeach will be scrapped or will the result from leg one of the lower finals will be classed as the result then leg 2 &3 will not count ???
The way i see it is that we should carry on as started
Old 08-04-2013

Default questions

The start time is 9 because a couple of venues cannot always gain access until after a set time, also it gives a longer time to get people in, booked in and gives free practicw for those wanting to get there early enough.
As for the Holbeach results, they are as per the meeting, i can just see us getting to a meeting later in the season and having the time to run more leg finals, so i am trying to get it set now. So what do you think of the open class? Keep or scrap it?
Old 08-04-2013

Scrap the open.....
Run 4 + 1 and 3 for A final
i feel it will make for a more relaxed meeting and a little more time between rds and finals
Old 08-04-2013

Making it a 2 minute turnaround between heats would save you over 1/2 an hour?
Old 08-04-2013

EDIT: Just read the top post right through.

Open to be opened at date "x".
All regional entries before date "x" guaranteed a spot.
All entries after date "x" first come first served.

As for encouraging others back to the area - As soon as word is out that the numbers are up, the competition is good and the tracks are getting great reviews it will happen by default.

Quality first, quantity will follow.
Old 08-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Making it a 2 minute turnaround between heats would save you over 1/2 an hour?
At Holbeach we tried a 1 1/2 minute turnaround, then 2 & ended up at 2 1/2. For a driver to finish their run down lap, get off rostrum and let the others on it was the shortest time.
Old 09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin76 View Post
At Holbeach we tried a 1 1/2 minute turnaround, then 2 & ended up at 2 1/2. For a driver to finish their run down lap, get off rostrum and let the others on it was the shortest time.
Fair enough Colin. At other meetings we set the interval at 3 minutes but have the ability to start it before the countdown finishes if poss.That might be an option for you?

Last edited by Mr.B; 09-04-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2013
Mad Member

As we all like to race I do feel that at least the regionals should run to three legs for all, with the Open / Short Course finals run over one leg. Afterall it's a Regional championship for 1/10th buggies and that should take precedent over all other classes. Equally dependant on numbers could it not be decided once booking-in is closed how may finals open and short course can run over?

Another area we lost time was getting marshalls out to cover spots where people were racing in consequtive finals. It is fairly certain that someone that makes an A final in 2wd will also make the A final in 4wd or short course. I don't know if it's possible to run the finals in class order rather than C Finals, B Finals and A Finals as that would reduce the chances of somone racing racing back to back and therefore not being able to marshall.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 09-04-2013

If someone is racing more than one class and finals are bacj to back the driver should find some one else to marshall if not they should be penalised as per not marshaling or being late to marshall point
Old 09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighty View Post
If someone is racing more than one class and finals are bacj to back the driver should find some one else to marshall if not they should be penalised as per not marshaling or being late to marshall point
I don't think anyone should be penalised for racing more than one class - as the region is set up for running both classes in one day then if anything, races should be arranged so that consecutive races are avoided where possible (as I believe it already is)

Regarding number of final legs then personally I think that 3 legs wherever possible. If this makes the day too long then removing the open class and/or reducing the short course class to 1 final.
Old 09-04-2013

As a relative (and perhaps selfish) newbie I would cancel the open and run 3 leg finals, giving everyone the same track time!!

Please, let's not get into heated discussions about being penalised for not marshalling or whatever. I've just about had enough of all the bullshit politics.

It's a regional competition, so scrap the open and run 3 & 3 for all and if less people turn up for certain meetings so be it, we'll all have a more relaxed day!!
Old 09-04-2013

Run it as the BRCA rules and have done with it.
Which means anyone failing to marshal or provide a marshal will loose their fastest time or final position.

If not why should anybody bother to marshal.

I for one think that if you choose to run more than one class you should provide releif marshals to take your place if you can't be there yourself.
Old 09-04-2013

That's how it is. Just Mr Brown was throwing a logistical solution that doesn't negatively impact anyone, whilst providing a little extra breathing space for those that need it.

Good suggestion Jonathan! I think this is how it would have gone if the formats weren't changed. It's how Maritime run their event.
Old 09-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Had a read through,

a) I think we may need to get qualifying up and running earlier.

b) I DO understand the fast turnaround at holbeach but we shouldn't start heats and finals with in some cases as few as a couple of marshals on the track. It's a BRCA meeting, heats shouldn't start without marshals, it's only fair, if your heat is running with no marshals your not pushing hard against the clock as a roll could cost you very dear

c) if the venue is multi track and multi class (touring/rallyx etc), and the regional meeting has 50+ booked in the regional should be the ONLY meeting held that day by the venue, as the venue should be getting enough revenue from the region on that day. We shouldn't lose time due to waiting for heats of other classes to run.At holbeach we were rushing heats out with no marshals,in some cases the cars didn't even get to the start line at all, then we had 10 to 20min breaks for stock cars to run.

d) if races wish to compete in more than one class they must supply a marshal if they are unable to marshal the next heat as they are in it, If you can't supply a marshal then you will have to cut down the number of classes you race in.

e) if we are pushed for time at the end of the day maybe we should scrap open class finals as in most cases open class drivers are there to test or practice,
As I understand it the 4th round can be scrapped in the right circumstances I know that 3 leg finals are optional, but not sure if now we have started with three legs we must carry on the same, so if we are going to get pushed for time do we scrap the 4th round or three leg finals race directors call.....

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 15-04-2013

Just another reason I would not want to be regional rep. Good luck Colin....

Have to agree wiv the marshaling thou, its supposed to be next level up from club, and should be more professionally ran than a club day.