Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 19-03-2014

Default Storm Valley sugar or no sugar ???

Storm valley raceway have a simple question we would like to ask

Sugared track or no sugared track ???

As most are aware the track is a dirt track but a lot of 1/10 drivers seem scared to come and race because they struggle with the grip on dirt so what are your thoughts on the above

Thaks
Jared
Storm Valley
Old 19-03-2014
Mad Member

If you decide to sugar, will it be done for the Mid West regional? If so, won't the nominated tyres (Holeshot M4) be wrong?

Not sure how I feel about sugaring, anything that keeps the surface consistent is good as the grip is definitely better when damp. But I hear tyre wear is high on some of the US tracks that have been sugared and at £12 a pair for tyres, thats going to discourage people.

From the times I've been, its clear that there is a definite advantage to having run on the surface and in particular, the layout before. Will sugaring reduce that advantage? Maybe...

I've read one of the things they do in the US is use tyre sauce - maybe thats another option to consider?
Old 19-03-2014
Mad Member

I haven't driven on your track, but I'm used to running low bite and I love it! If people want to go on-road driving with jumps they have plenty of tracks to go to! I really hate the trend that tracks are getting more and more bite, we have touring cars for tracks with bite!

Buggies are made to soak up bumps and to face the struggle to find grip head on, buggy racing is all about powersliding your way past the competition, not about who can griproll the least amount of times.

If people are scared to drive at your venue, could it be your jumps are too demanding? 2WD, and in general most racers, will struggle with demanding jumps on low bite tracks. Like I said before, there are plenty of tracks with the most crazy jumps, but venues with low bite are something becoming quite scarce - keeping low bite at your venue I would say gives you a very unique selling point.

Also, consider this: Low-bite tracks often have low(er) tire wear. With a sugared track you may see people using two sets for one race day, and if people have to spend twice as much on tires just because the track is sugared, I'm not sure that'll help business...

I don't think I'll have to summarize it, but I would like to say it's not meant to criticize your inquiry or make a rant... I do have a strong opinion on it though: Don't ruin what you have, instead I would use it as a way to identify your venue with

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 19-03-2014

I would say leave the track as it is and just alter the jumps as they are very agressive for a low grip track.

I enjoy racing at storm valey when I get the chance to get up there but to be honest if I had to use two sets of tyres for one meeting then I would not race there as i could not afford that.

i say NO to sugar.
Old 19-03-2014
Mad Member

+1 on the jumps. Its less of an issue for 4wd but 2wd definitely agree. Slopes, berms and ripple sections would be better features than the great big jumps IMO.

I don't go very often as its about 1h 10m to get there but I do enjoy driving round the track when I'm there. The big features make close racing difficult too, especially as its a surface which is alien to most UK racers.
Old 19-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'd agree with what's been said so far, when I came down to race I thought the surface was spot on.

The whole point of sugaring tracks is to stop them breaking up and keep grip levels consistent throughout the meeting, Storm didn't have either of these problems when I came to race.

As has been mentioned tyre wear will go up a lot as the grip comes up. From my experience racing on blue/black groove in the US it can get to the point of a set a run then bin, this would definitely put people off! One of the best bits about the surface as it is is that people don't have to shell out for tyres they can't use elsewhere, and if the tyres last a few meetings it's not a big investment for one or two meetings to come and try the track out.

I'd also agree on the jumps being a bit less aggressive, although I know they have been skimmed down to be a bit less vertical since I came. I quite liked the challenge of making sure you had to get a decent exit from the corner before to make some jumps rather than being able to squirt from the base of the jump and make it easily like most jumps we have over here, but I can see how people could struggle with 2wd.

I vote no
Old 19-03-2014

No sugar
Old 19-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

having never visited SV to date I'm not put off by the grip. I'll deal with that and learn to drive on it. However if the reports were that tyres were wrote off after a few runs I wouldn't even bother coming to try.

£25 (4wd) a set that last a meeting... no thanks.

no sugar please.
Old 19-03-2014

I think that Storm Valley is a great venue with big positives a some negatives but for me the pros outweigh the cons by a lot but that's obviously not true in most people's opinion cos turnouts seem to be very low. The positives are obvious (full time indoor clay track - nuff sed). Negatives? Well, it seems something HAS to change or the venue will surely close and that would be a real pity. I really like the sugar idea but only with the inclusion of a tyre rule. One where you are allowed one set of a particular type of tyre per meeting. Maybe in a hardish compound to ensue they last the whole event. My opinion is, and from what I've heard others say the problems are, in order of importance:-

1) Too small. Especially for gas 1/8. Personally I think it is a little small but not terrible so. It just seems small because speeds are very low. This is because the low grip combined with a difficult jump and other slowing hills and lumps causes you to end up nursing your car around a slippery obstacle course and that's not much fun. I think a higher grip surface would transform the track especially if the cars were helped rater than hindered to get some speed up by for example entering the straight down a slope then into a modestly banked corner at the end of it.

2) Haven't got a rear motor 2wd? Few people these days have one and even if they have one that can be made into one like the losi 22 can't be fussed changing it. Making the track mid motor 2wd friendly is certainly in my book a very good idea especially as that is the trend worldwide anyway.

3) Pitting. The pitting is good, just a little cold especially in winter so perhaps sealing the walls better and a large gas heater would be good. The denial of use of the mains power seems bizarre to me. I'm sure the consumption of power from charging cells is trivial. Personal electric heaters maybe but charging? It's just an unnecessary nuisance to have to bring your own generator or 12v truck battery.

4) 5 minute gaps between races. Too long by 3 minutes. 2 min gaps are plenty to for changeover and for marshals to get to positions safely. Standing on the rostrum for ages waiting is very frustrating. This is for electric. 5 mins I'm sure is ok for gas.

5) jumps. Most people say they are too harsh or just too big. I think they are all perfectly fine apart from the one in front of the rostrum that still seems to need more softening. This jump is the biggest culprit for slowness as stated before. I've seen many cars get stuck and even slipping backwards. It's just too slow a section and hinders the flow and fun factor too much. I know a faster flowing grippier track would reduce lap times significantly but that's ok, just have 8 car heats. 8 car heats are fine and better than tripping over too many other cars on an overly hazardous track.

In short sugaring the track, making it more flowing, allow mains power use for charging and cutting gaps to 2 mins are in my opinion very good ideas.
Old 19-03-2014

I agree with the above. The jump in front of the rostrum made the race more about how to get the speed perfectly right, get it wrong and you slip backwards or to fast and you flip the car over. Very frustrating and not much fun.

I would also like a more relaxed race meeting, ie. be able to practice on the track before the start of the meeting and between final round and finals as I come to race to have fun and drive my car as much as I can and also allowed to get the car on the track before the start of the race.

Dirt is alien to me but I think after a few times you would learn and get used to it and agree on keeping tyre costs down.

I have been once and these things put me off as I also have a hour drive to get there too. Improve on the above and I would give it a go again.
Old 19-03-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
having never visited SV to date I'm not put off by the grip. I'll deal with that and learn to drive on it. However if the reports were that tyres were wrote off after a few runs I wouldn't even bother coming to try.

£25 (4wd) a set that last a meeting... no thanks.

no sugar please.
It's probably not down to the track - I assume the wear rates you refer to are of ProLine Holeshot tires? They wear down at the first sight of clay! I suggest you use something with a less delicate and small profile. For example, ProLine Blockades are already a bit chunkier but has a similar tread - perhaps it's worth a shot? Then there's also the ProLine Caliber, which is not the most grippy tire I tried (though I don't find the Holeshot much better), but it's tread life is really decent - I've done two meetings with most sets I used!

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 19-03-2014

Only been to Storm Valley the once and for a dirt track with M4 Holeshots I thought the grip was amazing.

The downfall for me and I could say the same with some other tracks. Is why make a track so difficult with jumps and slab sided bomb holes, that make it so unpredictable for racing. I'm all for jumps, rhythm sections, bomb holes, ripples and rutted up corners but they need to be flowing and make it approachable for everyone.

One problem you need to consider is the size of the track its quite compact, but as has been proved in the past it is doable. I would prefer to see the track designed more like a US track of the early 90's and not like these stadium/arena type tracks with huge jumps of today.

I say stay away from the sugar as the grip levels are there Then get a flow to the track, put in a few sections that will slow drivers down but are achievable for any level of driver to get through and you'll have a winner.

Good luck
Associated RC10's, RC10T, B2 & T2
Kyosho Ultima XL
Losi JRX2, JRX Pro & Pro SE
Yokomo YZ10 94

The Veterans Inner Circle. Sponsored with Pot Noodle and Tunnocks.
Old 19-03-2014

Default catch 22

I have been to practice there a couple of months ago, and i loved the place.
It was challenging getting around the track with a 2wd but still great fun. i didnt think the grip was high even with holeshots on. I was using a 10.5 motor.
The jump in front of the rostrum was very tricky!
Would making the track 1/ 10 friendly put off the 1/8 guys though?
I really cant understand why the 1/8 crowd arent massively enthusiastic about it. Decently stocked shop on site, all weather racing, friendly and helpful owner and a good track!
I expected a huge response on maxbashing forum when the track was announced but didnt seem to get the large amount of interest i would have expected.
It might be an idea to make it a bit more suitable for 1/10, maybe the 1/8 guys that do use the track would accept a compromise.
As for the sugar, just change the control tyres and i cant see a problem.
I think the owner has provided what a lot of people were asking for, and the old expression use it or lose it springs to mind.
Old 19-03-2014

Nice to see what people's thoughts are - please keep them coming interesting to see and it can only help us to reach the right decision and also the right changes to make the venue better

Also good to see what bad points there are to the venue as some things can be the slightest thing to us but a massive thing to the racer
Old 19-03-2014

Just a thought......although dirt/clay tracks sound good and some drivers think they are the best type of surface, I believe most drivers , myself included, prefer the cleanliness and consistency of an astro turf track.! The only other dirt track is RHR and that is only used a few times a year..
Do away with the big obstacles and go astro turf..
Old 19-03-2014
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Why don't you just sugar it once and try it? If it's rubbish just wash it away..
Old 19-03-2014

That's a v good point. Sugaring isn't necessarily a permanent thing so can be tried easily and I'd love to try it. Like a mini worlds...! I really like your Saturday racing idea a lot. It works for silverstone very well. I'd book in right now for a Saturday or sunday sugared track meet. If you implement the other things I mentioned and market it well I'm sure it would be a real winner. A summer Saturday series would also be brill.
Old 19-03-2014

I have raced both my 1/8 nitro and 1/10 electric at storm valley and loved it personally I love lower grip surfaces, no sugar. I know you guys have problems with the electric when its under too much load, but it's a reason I don't come back more often as I find charging up a hassle.
KF, XB4 2014
Old 19-03-2014

After once driving 200 miles to the track and arriving a bit early and then experiencing the not warm welcome from the owner, then talking to the Proline rep I would think that people not returning may not all be about the track. Loved the track but very rude owner could do with some people skills. Nothing would get me back not even the offer of free tyres that the Proline rep offered as compensation for his rudeness. (thats polite compared to how he spoke)
Old 20-03-2014

Do we know what days Storm Valley is open now? I know it used to be all week, but is it limited to the weekend only now?