Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 16-06-2010

Default New Race Format

Hey chaps, just thought id start this off.

Personally im not to keen on it all, it seemed to make everyone in the final drive a little crazy maybe it will calm down over time...i hope. Id prefer the old format with a touch of driver grading.

What are other peoples thoughts??
Old 17-06-2010
Mad Member

I think the grid layout worked well - less first corner pileups.

I'm a little confused (which doesn't take much) how the grading system works though. I had a mare in qualifying, then won the B final. So next week I'm pole in the B final and as such "stuck" there with no opportunity to get into the A?

To be honest it doesn't really bother me - just trying to get a grip on it.

I'm just wondering how it works - now I'm in the B am I destined to stay there for the remainder of the 6 week period? Can I bump up into the A and if so, how? And what happens if I can yet an A grade driver who hasn't been able to race for a few weeks makes a return? Do I get bumped back down into the B despite the fact that I've made the effort to race every week to improve my standing?
Old 17-06-2010

next week dave your first two races are qualifing which gives everybody the chance to get in the a every week. all the ranking does is sort out the heat listings. the system worked quite well i thought with the top quali heat and a final having 3 or 4 different drivers in it. give it time chaps as any system will be great for you one week and bad the next.
Old 17-06-2010
Mad Member

Sorted - thanks Dave. Told you it didn't take much to confuse me.

Just call me Stampy.
Old 17-06-2010

"Wot Crewie said..."

Ranking only affects qualifying. I'll post the rankings on the website later so you can see how it updates from week to week during the trial.

Jon.

Old 17-06-2010

I guess there are a few things to iron out... and i guess it is only a trial.....

I guess we give it a go and see how we get on.

my view at the moment is that the new format sucks.

we seem to have moved from three close heats of RACING to two heats of QUALIFYING and one race..... and not a good race at that.....

The old system averages performance over three races, you can afford to have a bad race and the other two can count. Now if your one race of the evening is a bad one thats it.... poor performance time....

We also do not seem to be able to cater for the younger racers that up until now have been able to go home after their second race....

ftq also seems to advantage the rope skipping types that do not feel that they should be disadvantaged by their own mistakes...

Ultimately i feel heats and finals for 50+ drivers in just over a couple of hours leads to one too many compromises for an enjoyable evening.

i am a fan of the new proposal for rankings however.....
Old 17-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well each to their own, but I really liked it last night, the heats to me seemed cleaner as people want to get a good final.

There are less pile ups at the first corner too.

It felt more of a race evening as the finals your racing in are peole of your own ability (unless you had 2 crap qual!)

I'm all for it and hope it stays!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 17-06-2010

The new system doesn't really affect the '2 round' juniors at all. The worst case scenario is that they qualified pole in their final and finish last in the final because they did not compete in it. Under the old system they would more than likely have dropped places from not competeing in round 3 anyway so the drop is probably no more than a few places when compared to 'old faithful'. The only thing it does effect is the ranking but that could be solved by setting the ranking on the overal qualifying positions rather than final results. The updated rankings are up on the club site for anyone that's interested.

Jon.

Old 17-06-2010
Mad Member

hey mutant

the format on trial was to give the opptunuty to race drivers who are of the same abbility the format that is the norm doesn't catter for missed weeks are bad weeks and you are always racing for next weeks grid possition which can be a tad frustrating imo not just for the faster drivers but for the slower drivers who are forever moving out the way.

the reason the finals can feel a tad scrappy is because you are racing at the same pace. take for example the normal a heat my self neil elliot dave dave will and tom it is always a little scrappy you stick edd two heats below cos he couldn't make it the previuouse week and wins that heat by 2 maybe 3 laps and has a race on his own were all the drivers move out his way he would then say his race wasn't scrappy cos there is nobody to challenge and the point of racing is to RACE each other.

time will tell with the format but dont forget the format that is on trial is the same format as the reginals, natianls in pretty much all rc classes qualifying and then finals.

stu
Old 17-06-2010

jon.... we will have to agree to disagree that it does not impact negatively on youngsters that can only attend two races... and yes the ranking could be changed to the two rounds of qualifying... then we can all piss about in the final because it does not matter a jot.

and stu i again strongly disagree that regional drivers would find 2 qualify and one final satisfying.... it is not the same in my book.....
the ranking proposal, that i do support wold seem to address some of your concerns.

These are my current thoughts.... they may change as the trial continues.... and in the end what the majority want, the majority should get....
Old 17-06-2010

Default good

I thought that it worked well, i did miss racing from the back but that can sometimes be a bit of luck racing.
What i liked was the four diffrent guys in the final up from anouther heat made you have to think about it.

finals are always going to be do or die missions whether they are 1 leg or three legs points or no points.

its called racing all it needs is a strong referee whos call is final

what could be fun is to do points for qualifiying 1st 100 2nd 99 etc
and make the finals a reverse grid.

would a stagger start clean up the qualifiying and then race from a grid in the final.
anyhow good to have change and i give it a 9 out 10 looking forward to stu, ed ,niggs all racing
Old 17-06-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
jon.... we will have to agree to disagree that it does not impact negatively on youngsters that can only attend two races... and yes the ranking could be changed to the two rounds of qualifying... then we can all piss about in the final because it does not matter a jot.

and stu i again strongly disagree that regional drivers would find 2 qualify and one final satisfying.... it is not the same in my book..... or maybe we should suggest the regionals should be run in a couple of hours and then if it is nice and sunny we can all go have ice cream on the beach.

the ranking proposal, that i do support wold seem to address some of your concerns.

These are my current thoughts.... they may change as the trial continues.... and in the end what the majority want, the majority should get....

but reginals dont run on a wednesday night in a couple of hours my point is the new format is a proven format, it sounds like to me you stugled racing againts drivers of the simular ability in the finals.
Old 17-06-2010

how could i have struggled? they were of similar ability?

as you appear to be suggesting.... Maybe i just have not run enough finals in my time.... maybe i need the practice...... looks like i'm going to get some.....
Old 17-06-2010
Mad Member

running finals will certanly stop all the risky first lap moves ill be back down in a couple of weeks looking forward to it.
Old 17-06-2010

Stu.. applogies for the beach wisecrack..... momentarily got a little hot under the collar.....
Old 17-06-2010
Mad Member

thats cool i was a little harsh there is another five weeks of the trial you may change your mind.

stu
Old 17-06-2010

Quote:
jon.... we will have to agree to disagree that it does not impact negatively on youngsters that can only attend two races...
Not really. I have nothing to agree or disagree with. You gave no reasons as to why they have to stay for a third race now when they didn't before. Ultimately it will be up to the junior members themselves to voice their opinion either directly or via their parents so if you don't like it... speak up I actually think they have something more to aim for now since a good first round could get them pole in round 2 That's a victory in itself

Quote:
and yes the ranking could be changed to the two rounds of qualifying... then we can all piss about in the final because it does not matter a jot.
Guess that all depends on whether you care about the championship points or not. If you don't then there would be no point in racing in the finals.

At the moment I'm neither for or against the system but I'm willing to see how it goes.

Old 17-06-2010

sorry, did not understand that your suggestion meant that the kids would not compete for the championship.... my bad...

They don't have to say anything... if the majority want... they should get... no? it does not matter what they think or say now....
Old 17-06-2010

It's nice to see everyones opinion

i must say that the qualifying rounds produced some imensely close racing...i could barely keep up in the A heat

I know in a sitchuation like this it would be very hard to please everyone, there's always going to be one or two that disagree, it just needs to be given a chance. it does have potential
Old 24-06-2010

Default 23/6/10

last night showed despite being the quickest all night a car failure nearly gave me 97 points instead of 100.
makes it intresting and an open playing field.