Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 06-02-2017
Mad Member

Default Painting advice

It's many years since I last wielded an airbrush, and the choices of paint etc have changed a lot since I last painted a shell, so I'm looking for some advice / opinions before I have a crack at airbrushing again.

What are people's opinions on which paint to use? I've seen Faskolor, Vallejo and Createx all listed, whereas the last time I sprayed a shell Pactra was the only choice. I'm looking at ease of mixing and spraying, shell adhesion, price, availability, etc.

Last time I tried liquid mask it was a complete disaster, so is tape better than liquid?

What do you use to practice on? Shells are expensive - someone suggested to me laminating pouches once they'd been through a laminator?

I was lucky enough to pick up a small compressor and 2 airbrushes for silly money a while back so it would be nice to give spraying a crack before resorting to rattle cans or paying someone else to do it (although the chap who did my last shells is a genius and far more talented than I'll ever be).

So any advice will be gratefully received - thanks in advance
Old 06-02-2017
Mad Member

I use createx and fascolor. Can't tell difference between, but both need letting down with either water or specific thinners
Practicing is good on the inside of an empty pop bottle cut in half. Coke bottle safe good as they tend to have nooks and crannies so you get to practice dealing with detail.
Liquid mask is great, but use rcs stuff. I once tried vallejo and it was awful - wouldn't cut and felt very rubbery - even a new blade tended to catch and pull. The rcs is really easy, but give it at least 3 coats or it doesn't remove easily. I go for 4 coats and it is great. I also have a vinyl cutter which is great for designs and logos etc..
then, just have fun...

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 07-02-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
Liquid mask is great, but use rcs stuff. I once tried vallejo and it was awful - wouldn't cut and felt very rubbery - even a new blade tended to catch and pull.
This is the issue I had before - thanks for the advice Chris.
Old 07-02-2017
Super Moderator

Yep rcs liquid mask is the nuts, i spray mine on through the airbrush & flash dry it with a hairdryer after each coat, usually go for 4-5 coats & after the final coat i always leave overnight in the airing cupboard so it can go off properly

Check out Jon's site for paint choices, rcs is now called rc identity, used most of his stuff & it's all good, his chrome is in my opinion the best in the business by a country mile
http://www.rcidentity.com/

I tend to get a 3l bottle of coke or similar & cut it from top to bottom down the middle, then wash, rinse & use it to test spray things onto

Last edited by gainsy; 07-02-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2017

Tried fasmask, bitty design and RCS green and now yellow and the RCS is by far the best, watered down makes it a little better, thru a cheap air gun, giving it 3 coats heat gun inbetween coats.

Always use a new 10a scalpel for every shell

Paint, faskolor, RCS, createx, wicked, auto-air all good always reduce as I'm using a .35 needle.

Rcs chrome is excellent

Practice on lucazade bottles

Patients

Nemo Racing
Yokomo Yz-2.
Yokomo Yx-4sf
Sanwa

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158845