Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 18-09-2020

Default Older Brushless ESC With New Motors

Hello all,

Bit of a born again question as it’s been a while since I spent any money on new electronics so my question is this:-

Will my LRP Sphere TC spec run new brushless sensored motors and will the sensor connection be the same?

Thank you.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028
Old 18-09-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRETTI View Post
Hello all,

Bit of a born again question as it’s been a while since I spent any money on new electronics so my question is this:-

Will my LRP Sphere TC spec run new brushless sensored motors and will the sensor connection be the same?

Thank you.
It will be fine, as long as the motor is within the turn limit of the speed controller. I just started racing again this year actually and I'm still running my Sphere TC Spec too

In progress: Team Durango DEX410 V1-V4 hybrid ~ DESC410V2 ~ DEX210
Old 18-09-2020

That’s great, I think they have a motor limit of around 3-4, I have a brain to finger limit of 21.5

Apparently all sensor leads are industry standard due to ROAR regulations, well done governing body

Here's my TC showroom

Last edited by FERRETTI; 19-09-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 20-09-2020
Mad Member

Also be aware that modern brushless motors are considerably more powerful than the motors from the time of this ESC. I have new 17.5T motors that are faster and draw more power than my old 10.5T motors.
Old 20-09-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Also be aware that modern brushless motors are considerably more powerful than the motors from the time of this ESC. I have new 17.5T motors that are faster and draw more power than my old 10.5T motors.
That’s good information Terry, thank you.

I was considering a new 10.5 for a couple of vintage YZ10s in which I was previously running 7.5, what’s your thoughts?

So what’s the big step change? I’m a bit ignorant on electricary I thought the big step was brushless, I’m surprised to hear there has been such a technological advance.

Here's my TC showroom
Old 20-09-2020

I'm running a nosram matrix evolution with a modern 10.5 with the timing cranked up and it loves it, doesn't get hot or anything I'd actually argue that it's less restrictive because there's no bells and whistles, though boost would be a advantage all that can timing can make it a bit lively.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 21-09-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRETTI View Post
I was considering a new 10.5 for a couple of vintage YZ10s in which I was previously running 7.5, what’s your thoughts?
A modern 10.5 would probably match and old 8.5T, and you will find most vintage racers will use a 10.5 as adding more power than that to vintage chassis harms performance.

Motor technology has evolved just like brushed motors evolved over time, just that motors are now made by large companies with large development budgets. Magnets are better, the manufacturers have developed the materials and production techniques for the stators.
When Hobbywing states that their latest motor has 6.5% higher kv and 13.3% higher torque by reducing the internal resistance of the windings compared to their previous motor which came out just a year before, imagine how much of an improvement has happened since the early days of brushless.
Old 22-09-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
A modern 10.5 would probably match and old 8.5T, and you will find most vintage racers will use a 10.5 as adding more power than that to vintage chassis harms performance.

Motor technology has evolved just like brushed motors evolved over time, just that motors are now made by large companies with large development budgets. Magnets are better, the manufacturers have developed the materials and production techniques for the stators.
When Hobbywing states that their latest motor has 6.5% higher kv and 13.3% higher torque by reducing the internal resistance of the windings compared to their previous motor which came out just a year before, imagine how much of an improvement has happened since the early days of brushless.
Thank you Terry, again great information

Here's my TC showroom