Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 03-10-2015

Default 8.5 in 1/10 4wd

Will this be enough power for indoor club racing? Got a cheapo hobbyking X-car 8.5 that I'd like to use in my bmax4
Old 03-10-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What track size and surface?
For low traction tracks, more than enough. Biggest mistake a lot make is too low a wind motor for club racing. Run it flat out and not over power the available grip. You can always add some end bell timing or boost to make it quicker, or some turbo to get an extra kick down the straight.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-10-2015

Thanks Neal Lewis. Carpet track, quite tight and windy, medium grip I'd say.
Like the idea of boost and turbo but not sure my budget esc has that option...need to check
Old 03-10-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCorbett View Post
Thanks Neal Lewis. Carpet track, quite tight and windy, medium grip I'd say.
Like the idea of boost and turbo but not sure my budget esc has that option...need to check
Run the motor, get round without crashing at all. will be far faster than a 6.5/7.5 with lots of crashes, if a touch slower down the straight.
Increase the end bell timing if your esc doesn't do it, this will give you a bit more. Also get it geared right.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-10-2015
Mad Member

I ran 10.5 on a tight windy indoor carpet track, slick tyres with additive too.

Just a little boost and turbo was all it needed. Probably only gave away 20cm over the length of the straight (10-12m ish) to anything else there.

Was a doddle to drive on the infield.
Old 03-10-2015

That's encouraging thanks guys
Old 04-10-2015
Mad Member

Hi Chris,
If it makes you feel any better...
2 weeks ago I ran outside at Batley with a 2nd hand yz2 I was testing. I had an unboosted 13.5t in it. I also ran 2 rounds with my normal car using a boosted 7.5t in it.
I am not a "fast" driver, but I don't crash a lot - I.e. Steady and consistent.

The 13.5 was noticeably slower on the straight and cars were flying past me, but once at end I would steadily pull them in and pass. I compared all my lap times and though I was overall 0.2 quicker fastest lap with 7.5t, my 13.5 wasn't as slow as I expected.
Have now set some turbo on ESC so will try the 13.5 this week knowing I will have the drivability elsewhere, but (at least "some") pace on the straight

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 06-10-2015
Mad Member

Just to give an update. I ran both cars for 2 rounds each at weekend. 13.5 now with some turbo which kicked in on straight.
Both set ups the same other than motor. My fastest lap was 0.3s quicker with 13.5t and my average lap was 1.4s quicker.
I then lent the car with 13.5t in to a friend who proceeded to beat his hobao time (with 7.5t in) on first run.
Only thing I noticed was on one corner where some punch is required to clear a double jump, the 13.5 didn't quite have enough oomph to clear both jumps, but didn't seem to make too make too much difference to lap times

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 07-10-2015
Mad Member

that little extra kick you needed for the double is where the boost/turbo settings come into play. I had a similar issue with a (massive) outdoor double. Eventually got it sorted using a combination of changes to esc settings.