Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-09-2014

Another point to note about the 3 visit/race rule is it only applies to 'NEW' racers who want try the sport. It does not apply to drivers returning to the sport, having previously been a brca member. They must renew their membership before racing.
Old 09-09-2014

Seeing that your in Bourne End, assuming that's the one in Bucks, we at Wycombe Micro Buggy club (mini 8s, charisma gtbs and Schumacher embs) actively encourage every single age.

A few people from this thread know me and have been to the club I run. I doubt any of them have anything bad to say.

Our winter series is starting in October and is one Saturday morning a month. Last year we had 9 jnrs and 30 snrs. That's nearly a 1/4 of the entry being under 16.

A good thing about micros is there cheap, fast and extremely robust
Old 09-09-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mughal View Post
... The 'poor show' situation, I think that the race director may have been uncomfortable to have the young lad driving around between heats as he wouldn't be covered by BRCA( he needs to be 'entered in the event' to be allowed on track even with the 3 race rule). Had the race director explained this to Duncan in a better way I'm sure Duncan would have been more than happy to pay the nominal fee so his son could run his car round and everybody would have had a better day.

Keep up the good work guys and I'm sure ALL clubs will follow or fold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
So it's clear that the person at the club got it wrong, and probably didn't approach it in the best way.

However, let's considder it from his point of view. He was asked about a situation that he thought gave him a problem (potentially it didn't, but that's another issue). He saw what he thought might be a potentially dangerious situation in that someone who he didn't believe would be covered by insurance, should something go wrong. He's faced with 2 options that that point: a) stop it from happening at all, or b) allow what he believed could be that dangerious situation happen, that wouldn't be covered by insurance, that if something did go wrong, he could face personal responsibility / liability / ruin from.

Still think he did the wrong thing?? For what it's worth, I don't. It's very easy to say "well it's not a problem, there is the 3 time rule" we all know that now, but at that moment in time, he didn't realise that and has therefor gone with the cautious option. It's sad, that it's the "where there's blame, there's a claim" culture that we live in now has probably caused this decision.

He probably should have known about the 3 time rule, and he probably should have approached it in a different way. However, at least look at it from his point of view, if he was unsure he has to go with the safest option really.

Personally (as someone who is involved in running a club) I'd like to think that a) I do know the rule and hence it wouldn't have happened, but if I was unsure, I'd always go with the safe option - although hopefully explain it in a better way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
something else to note, does this 3 time rule count for some one who is "not" booked into the race meeting? I.e someone who wants to run around between heats isn't actually booked into the meeting
Jim Spencer...

Anyway
The above folk all have it right - it's '3 visits' to a club, to try the sport.
- or any other event for that matter, it also works for public "Have a Go's" too, right up to the large events (at major public Venue's) we take the demo fleets to.

Anybody has any queries you can always drop me a note

treasurer@brca.org"

The concern is that someone who said authoritatively that the guy's lad couldn't race did not in fact know the BRCA rules. The poster's above cannot have it both ways - excluding the kid for perceived risk due to not having insurance because it is a BRCA rule when in fact the rule is quite clear and the question should have been to ascertain if the kid had raced before.

Then Jim comes along and says "if you have a question ask me" and still people post things that are speculation! No one can remember all the Rules to the letter. As an official in a club, BRCA Section and IFMAR Electric Section Chairman, I never could. I always carried a rule book with me and when queries arose referred to it.

Not only does that help to ensure that I got it right, but it makes explanations to questioners much easier - refer to the Rulebook and explain the situation. It worked for me every time.

We need club officials and volunteers, they are the life blood of our sport. I don't mean this to be a criticism of the guy here. It is up to the rest of us to stop posting all this speculation and shouts for naming and shaming. See the post above from the young guy who gave up helping - we are part of that.

I've got me coat, I suggest we all do that!
Old 09-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I should point out there is no such thing as a '3 race rule' anyway. It is a code of practice rather than a 'rule' and as such does not have to be followed. Obviously the risk of not following it is that this can invalidate insurance in the event of an accident so you are taking a big chance if you don't.
Likewise clubs can choose to apply it or not - I know some clubs (especially nitro ones) insist No BRCA no race even for new drivers.
Ultimately its down to the person in charge to decide because they are responsible if anything goes wrong. Whilst in this case the race director was being excessively cautious there are sound reasons behind the decision.
The challenge is to strike a reasonable balance between safety and accessibility.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 09-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy G View Post
'Our club mentality is that we are all big kids with more money than sense playing with toy cars and it works!'
Love this, where's the club, I'm on my way
Just one issue the more money than sense doesn't apply to me. I have non of either! [/QUOTE]

http://www.colchestermodelcarclub.com/

A very friendly welcoming atmosphere and everyone helps everyone. For example this Sunday I was suffering with servo issues due to a faulty plug. one of the other members lent me one of his spares very kind. Even more so when you consider I was racing against him and it was a club points race
Old 10-09-2014

The three race rule only applies, to people who have entered the meeting...

Again, this topic is going way off thread, basically if this young lad would have had an accident then this thread would have been totally different. And the person(s) involved in all this would have been branded as not doing their job properly.
I believe safety is not something that should be compromised.
There are so many issues other than the ones, that have been mentioned on here. What if the young lad fell over on the rostrum, or even fell off the rostrum. These things aren't even worth thinking about.
You wouldn't let your child drive a real car without insurance, so why take a risk when it comes to RC Cars. OK they aren't as big, or potentially dangerous, but I have seen what they can do to an adult when hit in the ankle, let alone a five year old.
Personally I wouldn't want to go to a club that compromised the rules when it comes to safety!

Paul

Schumacher Racing - Team Tekin - Spektrum - Inside Line Racing - TrishBits
Old 10-09-2014

The people entered in the meeting as i understand it arent insured anyway including the young lad. Its 3rd party bystanders the insurance covers you for. There fore the confines of a track is exactly the right place for a youngster under supervision to gain experience as its almost impossible to hit a bystander imo. There has obviously been a misunderstanding of the rules but surely getting people to have a go is paramounount to the survival of the hobby.
Old 10-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
The three race rule only applies, to people who have entered the meeting...

Again, this topic is going way off thread, basically if this young lad would have had an accident then this thread would have been totally different. And the person(s) involved in all this would have been branded as not doing their job properly.
I believe safety is not something that should be compromised.
There are so many issues other than the ones, that have been mentioned on here. What if the young lad fell over on the rostrum, or even fell off the rostrum. These things aren't even worth thinking about.
You wouldn't let your child drive a real car without insurance, so why take a risk when it comes to RC Cars. OK they aren't as big, or potentially dangerous, but I have seen what they can do to an adult when hit in the ankle, let alone a five year old.
Personally I wouldn't want to go to a club that compromised the rules when it comes to safety!

Paul
Really?? Whilst I fully understand that safety is of upmost importance I think you need to sit back and think about that again. You were not by any chance the guy that turned the poor lad away were you?!
Old 10-09-2014

No I wasn't.

All I am saying is safety is paramount, and should not be compromised.

Old 10-09-2014

Sorry Crewie, it doesn't just cover the third party, (individual)it covers the club, as well. So anything happens to someone whilst racing, whether it be falling off the rostrum, or anything else, if they decide to sue...

Ta

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewie View Post
The people entered in the meeting as i understand it arent insured anyway including the young lad. Its 3rd party bystanders the insurance covers you for. There fore the confines of a track is exactly the right place for a youngster under supervision to gain experience as its almost impossible to hit a bystander imo. There has obviously been a misunderstanding of the rules but surely getting people to have a go is paramounount to the survival of the hobby.

Old 10-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Except if you are marshaling someones car. Thats the one time it doesn't cover you.
Pity cos its the time you are most likely to get hit, but I can understand the reasons for it.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 10-09-2014

Only won't cover you if you are not a member of the BRCA.

Old 10-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
Only won't cover you if you are not a member of the BRCA.
no I'm sure it states as soon as you leave your marshalling post you do so at your own risk. Your insurered all the while your at your post and that's all I'm sure
Moody fools
Richpaint
Gmcc
Old 10-09-2014
Mad Member

Couldn't find my coat...!

Col, please put this thread out of its misery before the people who know little and post lots confuse the hell out of everyone. Close it with Jim's post and the extract from the Handbook.

Guys - when in doubt read the Rules and stop typing wrong information and speculation. Jim made the offer together with his e-mail address for contacting him - "if you have any questions, ask me [Jim]."

For everyone else, please do just that and ignore the posts on here telling you what people think is involved with BRCA Insurance. Ask Jim to tell you what is involved... for a fact.

Rant over.
Old 10-09-2014

Well I'm glad to say my son and I had the exact opposite experience to the OP on Sunday. I took my 5yr old with me to my local club and asked if he could drive around during practice and between races if we had a suitable gap. The race director gladly said yes and turned down my offer to pay for him.

During the day a number of members including the race director said a few words of encouragement to my son and he thoroughly enjoyed himself. I now intend to give him more practice (mostly outside club meets) and then try him racing next Summer - aged 6.

It probably helps that he isn't a full-throttle kid, but nobody knew that until they have him a go.

Longer term, not only will the club gain a new member, but they'll make it easier for me to integrate my hobby into my family life - ergo, I'll stay around too.

Muzzoom Models Motorsport
Old 10-09-2014

just to digress....what has been the biggest payout on the BRCA insurance?...just out of interest.
Old 10-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomi View Post
Well I'm glad to say my son and I had the exact opposite experience to the OP on Sunday. I took my 5yr old with me to my local club and asked if he could drive around during practice and between races if we had a suitable gap. The race director gladly said yes and turned down my offer to pay for him.

During the day a number of members including the race director said a few words of encouragement to my son and he thoroughly enjoyed himself. I now intend to give him more practice (mostly outside club meets) and then try him racing next Summer - aged 6.

It probably helps that he isn't a full-throttle kid, but nobody knew that until they have him a go.

Longer term, not only will the club gain a new member, but they'll make it easier for me to integrate my hobby into my family life - ergo, I'll stay around too.
As it should be
Old 10-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karting View Post
Seeing that your in Bourne End, assuming that's the one in Bucks, we at Wycombe Micro Buggy club (mini 8s, charisma gtbs and Schumacher embs) actively encourage every single age.

A few people from this thread know me and have been to the club I run. I doubt any of them have anything bad to say.

Our winter series is starting in October and is one Saturday morning a month. Last year we had 9 jnrs and 30 snrs. That's nearly a 1/4 of the entry being under 16.

A good thing about micros is there cheap, fast and extremely robust
He has a mini 8 and he loves it ,I will bring him along to check out the track
Old 10-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
just to digress....what has been the biggest payout on the BRCA insurance?...just out of interest.
£32k - several people all injured in one accident, fortunatly all relativley lightly.

To Elaborate - As it's obvious that people still haven't read the rule book judging by a few posts above...

On average it's 2 or 3 'incidents' a year that result in heaps of paperwork for all involved, some of these will result in a payment from our insurers, some not.
Generally where a claim has proper substance to it, the insurers pay, however we do get as many "try it on's" as pukka 'real' cases - unfortunatly the former have to be gone through, at length, too.

There have been a couple of claims over the decades that would have made the above look like small change - and would have drastically changed the sport too - had they been succesful / reasonable.

This last bit is where the Insurance Co really earns their keep, the claims made all make 'allegations of negligence' (That's how P.L. cover works) IF some of these allegations were found to have substance it could force changes to how the sport operates.
On one or two occasions there have been claims made that, had they been succesfull, could have seen the sport - as we know it - cease to exist or be so radically altered that you wouldn't want to do it.

As an example - a simple one:-
The last claim from a 'No Win No Fee' company involved a member of the public having a fall from a clubs rostrum (not on a race day - they we're closed at the time - nobody from the club present and the claimant was both larking about and had to break a local bylaw to be on it)
The last four bits are nowadays basically irrelevant - still the clubs problem.
So
There were numerous allegations of negligence, and each one was succesfully defended - but it takes time, resources and money to do this.
Had this claim been succesfull it probably would have had instant implications for any club in the country with a permanent rostrum - i.e. most of them wouldn't have been able to exist..

Public Liability cover is not simply 'Make a claim and somebody pays'

It is possibly easiest to explain it as:-
An 'Allegation of Neglignce' that, if proved, you are insured against.

This is why it's hard to give catagoric 'what if' answers to scenarios, as you are then trying to predict what Allegations are going to come in - and you honestly wouldn't believe what I've seen over the years..

However what our policy does do is:-
Work.
It's kept us all racing for the last 30odd years, there have been some changes to the General Rules to reflect some of the succesful Allegations, and the procedures at events have been tweked to to ensure we don't drop the ball too.
It's defended hundreds of members in that time and kept the sport viable to officiate in at all levels (Club especially)
I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you run any event for people and the organisers / participants don't have P.L. cover in place then you must be stark staring bonkers.

Everybody reading this will know somebody who's won a tenner (£25 now?) on the lottery - we'll the odds are shorter that your club will be sorting through some Insurance Claim paperwork with me at some point in the next 12 months

So back to my earlier post..

If in doubt read the handbook and the article on insurance in it, or simply ASK - make certain you're 100% confident before posting on the web too, as it saves me typing to correct folk
Old 11-09-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Reading the above, makes you understand the officials answer, granted he could have explained it to the agreeved a little better