Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 10-11-2016
Mad Member

Default Cambria Saab Turbo

Was lucky enough to pick up a couple of kits recently - one is an original Tamiya Sand Scorcher, and the other a Cambria Saab Turbo.

The Sand Scorcher is totally complete - still has the original radio gear and hump cells as well. Body needs a tidy up but it's all there and operational. May restore it or may sell to fund other things I'm building.

The Saab - well I've never seen one in my life so I assume it must be rare? It's a fwd flat track racer. Guessing 12th scale? Again all complete and in good condition. I will try and get some pics up later but does anyone know much about the Saab? All I've found on the net was that it was manufactured in Wales! Is it worth much? Are there many about still?

Last edited by Hog; 16-11-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 16-11-2016
Mad Member

Finally got around to taking some photos of the Saab.

Front axle is a solid spool (no diff) with a UJ at each end. No rear suspension - it relies on chassis flex to generate grip. Car doesn't appear to have been used. Top deck is cracked but it's an easy repair / replacement.

Must admit I'm rather tempted to repaint the shell in Will Gollop Saab colours....

Anyone know anything about the car? Over 100 people looked at my original post with no comment so I'm guessing it's not been seen much before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saab5.jpg (266.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Saab1.jpg (217.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Saab2.jpg (190.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Saab3.jpg (220.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Saab4.jpg (261.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 16-11-2016
Mad Member

Wow that's ugly
Old 16-11-2016

Looks more like a Saab 900.
Old 16-11-2016
Mad Member

It's not the prettiest kit I will admit, and rather basic, but highly unusual being fwd.

It's of no real use to me so I'll tidy it up and it can go on Ebay alongside the Sand Scorcher.
Old 17-11-2016
Mad Member

cambria were better known for balsa aircraft kits im not sure if there still operating though ?

the saab is a 99 turbo "repllca" shell and in its day a stonkingly quick road car that was in the old days of turbos, open throttle nothing nothing nothing t,hen shit im in the dyke bottom !!

regards dave
Old 17-11-2016

The 99 had the most awful seating arrangement. The pedals are off to the right a bit and the steering comes out a bit to the left. The 900 t16 was a nicer car but had the engine the wrong way round for a front wheel drive car and the gearbox under the engine.
Old 17-11-2016

Cambria also did a fwd buggy called the Trakstar ,basically the same as the Saab but with a different shell and bigger diameter foam tyres.I remember it use to destroy spur gears for no apparent reason.About 1980 I think
Old 18-11-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Cambria also did a fwd buggy called the Trakstar ,basically the same as the Saab but with a different shell and bigger diameter foam tyres.I remember it use to destroy spur gears for no apparent reason.About 1980 I think
I'm guessing the lack of any sort of slipper combined with a solid front axle may have had something to do with it.
Old 18-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
The 99 had the most awful seating arrangement. The pedals are off to the right a bit and the steering comes out a bit to the left. The 900 t16 was a nicer car but had the engine the wrong way round for a front wheel drive car and the gearbox under the engine.
Utterly disagree. The 99 still remains one of the most comfortable cars I ever had, the seats were amazing and the slight pedal offset was irrelevant.

The engine was arranged North South rather than East West more usually for a FWD but the engine was canted over 45 deg to keep the height/cog low and for the most part very easy to work on. So different rather than wrong
Old 18-11-2016

Not a fan of the 99(sorry forgot engine was N/S). I've worked on many Saabs over the years and would still go for a 900 if looking for a classic. I do agree that the seats are very comfy.
Old 18-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Not a fan of the 99(sorry forgot engine was N/S). I've worked on many Saabs over the years and would still go for a 900 if looking for a classic. I do agree that the seats are very comfy.
Actually I would choose a 900 as well but my first Saab was a 99EMS converted Combi Coupe and I have a very soft spot for it.

This but with the hatch rather than the boot:

Old 18-11-2016

I've got a good friend of mine that works for abbot racing and still get to hear him moaning about 900 popping out of gear. If I had the cash I would be looking for a saloon turbo.
Old 21-11-2016
Mad Member

I had one of those! I used to do a Saturday job in a model shop and we sold these. I got one which we opened and used for spares which were non existent.

It's a basic old chassis but once enough silicon was slapped on the tyres it went around the polished school floor quick enough for me If its cheap (and I mean cheap) I could be interested if you are after moving it on.
Old 05-12-2016
Mad Member

Sorry Qatmix I've only just seen your post.

It went on ebay a couple of weeks ago I'm afraid.
Old 05-12-2016
Mad Member

Seems cheap at £40
Old 24-12-2016

It's not a 99 it's a classic 900 you can tell by the bonnet.