Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 13-01-2013

Question New 1/8 buggy What brushless system

I just bought A Mungen MBX6 Eco and need help with a brushless system.
This is my first 1/8 ... I usually run Sct ,1/10 2wd buggy 1/10 4wd buggy
I would like something reliable fast and powerful ,these are a few I have been looking at-
Tekin Rx8 2050kv system
LRP ix8 2000kv Dynamic 8
Castle Mamba Monster 2200kv
Just your thoughts on which one ? Or if you have an another choise
Cheers
SWORKS-S104 EK1
Old 13-01-2013
Mad Member

I ran the same car at the nationals last year with a hobbywing 150 amp speedo and 1850 6 pole tenshock motor, it kept with the tekins and had good run time. I have a mate that runs the LRP system and its very good on run time and speed. I've just got a 1900 tekin combo for my 6Eco, I've not raced it yet but just driving it around I can feel its a lot smoother, although the nationals are only 10 min finals I'm hoping to get 20-25 for club meets.

Out of you choices either the LRP or Tekin will be great, from memory the castle isn't sensored, it does make a big difference IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Ross

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 13-01-2013

I take it your going to be racing the Mugen? If so then I would narrow it down to the Hobbywing, Tekin, LRP and also look at Viper.
One thing to remember is that 1/8th buggies need powerful steering servos that can draw a lot of current, so you need a speedo with a good BEC. This would also depend on what radio and servo your using.

The Hobbywing is cheap and seems reliable but the BEC is only rated at 3A and I've known some people that have had issues, and then run a seperate BEC.

The LRP looks good, don't really see many about though. The only issue I see with the LRP that I don't like is that you have to use quick connectors on the speedo instead of having normal solder posts. For some this would be good, but I prefer to have my connections to be soldered in.

The Tekin is good and fast, the early ones had reliability issues with the boards inside cracking but the casing was modified to prevent this. I would also get the Hotwire with the RX8 as for some reason my one ame with the old 198 software even though it was brought after the Vegas 223 software was released which makes a big difference. The Tekin motors are also good. I have an RX8 with 1900kV motor and its more than quick enough, faster than most nitros.

The Viper isn't officially distributed in the UK at the moment but there is a rumour that this will change soon. The VX8 has only just been released but has an alloy case and is waterproof, you change settings very easily with the ProGauge setting card as well. From what I've seen of their 1/10th and 1/12th stuff it's all well made and well supported with a one year warranty.
Old 13-01-2013

Hi,

I have an HPI Vorza which came with the Castle Mamba Monster Max 2200kv combo. Ross is right, it was sensorless and TBH I didn't find it very smooth, also to change the settings you need a laptop

I decided to go for the Hobbywing 120A WP (waterproof) SC8 ESC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Express-EZ...item4abf039659

This has been fitted to the car for over 6 months now without any problems (including driving in rain) and in my experience is as powerful as the Hobbywing 150A XERUN.

Motor wise i'm currently running a 2700kv EZRUN but HW don't make these any more so recently I bought and tested a Leopard 4065 2700kv:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ePacket-USA-...item416db2d9ce

This is identical to the EZRUN motor, in fact the boss of HW and the boss of Leopard apparently know each other. The performance of both motors is also identical, very very fast and about 17-18 mins runtime on 6000mah 65-130c 4s LiPos (although the ESC can be de-tuned and I plan to try this sometime along with lowering the gearing to see if it will last a full 20min final against nitros).

Leopard also make lower-powered motors such as these if you're looking for more runtime:

http://www.leopardhobby.com/product/...ionID=01020220

As I said Ross is correct in saying that sensored is smoother than sensorless but I think the Castle system's power delivery is particularly poor, it seems to have a very wide dead band (neutral zone) and although my WP SC8 ESC is sensorless it is noticeably smoother than the Castle and i'm happy with it.

Also I run a Savox 1256 servo and a very basic Ansmann radio and I have never had any glitching issues with Hobbywing or Castle so no worries there. Hope this helps
Old 13-01-2013

Cheers !! Lots of great info
Yes I will be racing it ,I have the Airtronics Mt4 Raido and Rx-461 receiver to go in the buggy also got a Ace DS1015 ultra torq servo.It's still A tuff choise right now it would be nice to have brushless system waterproof and not have to worry.Last summer was all rain maybe 2 weeks of sunI am running hobbywing in 2wd buggy & 4wd buggy would like to try something different
But I agree with you guyz and I am not going to get a castle MM.?? I really like the viper VTX8 but can not a motor ? only 1/10 so maybe a tekin 1900kv or 2050 kv I read on here that the 1900 kv were for US small tracks & 2050 were for European big tracks ???? Any thoughts
SWORKS-S104 EK1
Old 18-01-2013

Yes, that is about right. 1900 for Medium U.S. Tracks. 1700 or 1900 for small indoor tracks (1700 if running on a small 1/10th indoor track) and 2050 for large sweeping euro tracks. You might be able to get a 1900 and gear up for large tracks. Gearing down a 2050 for a small track will generate too many rpms still and possibly excess wheel spin with all that torque. Guys who run 2050 on small/med U.S. tracks always drop lap times when they go to 1900kv because they are not fighting the massive rpms and torque. But, if you are going to run large tracks in Europe the majority of the time 2050 will feel much better.

Do you guys run 1/8th buggies in the rain? That sounds fun! Carpet I take it, or do you play in the mud?
Old 18-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I've just got a 1900 tekin combo for my 6Eco, I've not raced it yet but just driving it around I can feel its a lot smoother, although the nationals are only 10 min finals I'm hoping to get 20-25 for club meets.

Out of you choices either the LRP or Tekin will be great, from memory the castle isn't sensored, it does make a big difference IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Ross
Ross, do you have to race 20 or 25 min for club races? sm/med or large track? do you run with nitro cars at the club races? Mandatory pits?
Old 18-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwipf View Post
Do you guys run 1/8th buggies in the rain? That sounds fun! Carpet I take it, or do you play in the mud?
A lot of european tracks are astro turf or astro carpet, specially here in the UK because of our damp climate. Have a look at the pictures of our last race report from South Coast RC:

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116738

Although the photos don't show it the surface is soaking wet giving the same kind of driving experience as driving on dry dusty hard packed dirt in a hot country (like driving on ball bearings). As an added bonus it takes about 30 mins to clean the car after a day's racing and bearings and CVDs last forever

The only downside is when we do get a bit of hot/dry weather the surface becomes extremely grippy, like driving on hook-and-loop fastener which results in traction roll, particularly for the buggies. I did some experiments last summer with hard spiked tyres, hard inserts and oversize (HotBodies) buggy wheels to get rid of as much sidegrip as possible whilst still being able to get the power down out of the turns. Once I got used to it I was eventually able to run with the truggy guys.

On really hot days some of us just use street tyres:

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Produc...rts/U6732.html
Old 18-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Ross, do you have to race 20 or 25 min for club races? sm/med or large track? do you run with nitro cars at the club races? Mandatory pits?

It all depends on what final and club im at. The astro tracks that I race at in the winter tend to run 12,17,22 and 30min finals, all depends if there's enough light .

Most clubs tend to run something like 17,22 and 30 min finals in the summer. It's changed this year with finals as more and more engines are doing 10 min fuel stops so they dictate the final lengths an "E" buggies have suit them.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 18-01-2013

Talking

Quote:
Yes, that is about right. 1900 for Medium U.S. Tracks. 1700 or 1900 for small indoor tracks (1700 if running on a small 1/10th indoor track) and 2050 for large sweeping euro tracks. You might be able to get a 1900 and gear up for large tracks. Gearing down a 2050 for a small track will generate too many rpms still and possibly excess wheel spin with all that torque. Guys who run 2050 on small/med U.S. tracks always drop lap times when they go to 1900kv because they are not fighting the massive rpms and torque. But, if you are going to run large tracks in Europe the majority of the time 2050 will feel much better.

Here in Sweden we have astro, Dirt ,hard pack ,cement and very big jumps like a BMX Track.Its very changing and when

it rains it's a whole different track,the summer here is realy short so we run as much as we can.I decided to go with a tekin 2050 and a viper VTX8 ESC I think it should be a great combo Cheers for all the help mates !!
SWORKS-S104 EK1
Old 19-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzellia View Post
I decided to go with a tekin 2050 and a viper VTX8 ESC I think it should be a great combo Cheers for all the help mates !!
that sounds like a great combo. let us know what you think.
Old 19-01-2013

£105 shipped!

http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/p...+SHIPPING.html
Old 19-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldblades7 View Post
Ahh Cheers mate but alittle late just bought the VTX8 today and the Teking 2050
Yesterday.
SWORKS-S104 EK1
Old 20-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldblades7 View Post
Thats what ive got in my X3 Sabre
TLR SCTE 2.0 - Tekin RX8 G2 - Tekin Pro4 4600kv - Xpert SI-3401 BLS
LC Racing EMB-1 & EMB-SC

Sanwa MT4

Intellect & Gens Ace Powered
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Wrong post in wrong area.Sorry.
Old 04-04-2013

Default Tenshocks x812 6 Pole sensored BL motor

I say this for the motor

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...733479840.html

and this for the ESC.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...459217403.html

i think they also have the combo.....i have heard all but good reviews, though i have Tekin Combo, i would definately try one when cash permits.