Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Old 13-05-2012

Default Thanks and some questions

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks to Dudders and (I think) Tartman (apologies if I misheard your login) for a very warm welcome this morning. The point of me coming along was to see whether I really wanted to get involved again and to see what had really changed and whether it had left me too far behind Not having raced in about 20 years.

Well all I can say is thanks and yes, I shall be taking the plunge as the day looked a lot of fun. And that's basically what I'm in it for - the grin factor

So, as was mentioned, if I had any questions I should post them up here so please be gentle

As Dudders suggested the budget is c. £500 - 600

1) Car - looks like I'm going for the losi 22 from all the reviews I've read in the last week. Any known issues I should be aware of?

2) Radio Tx and Rx - going for a steering wheel setup but have no idea of what is good / bad so suggestions pls.

3) Motor.- I see lots available and have memories of a few companies eg Reedy but again recommendations would be appreciated, plus with there not being a need for lots of different motors what should I be looking for?

4) speed controller - as above for the motor

5) charger - as above

6) batteries - these new Lipo ones are unknown to me bar the introduction I was given to them this morning. Who makes good ones and anything else I need to know or where I should look at?

I guess that'll do to start with. I appreciate I've probably just asked for the world and there is a whole Internet full of info but I don't know where to start

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old 13-05-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Hi,

Here are a few thoughts from me:

1) Have you thought about a SV2 as the 22 is poor in the wet - I'd choose a SV2 over a 22 any day of the week. If You want to spend more a Kyosho based Vega or DB

2) Sanwa every day of the week would be my thought - M11X - expensive, but the one item that should outlast everything else

3) I'd go for an 8.5 in a 2WD, look at Orion, HPI, Tekin in my view. Good for most tracks, indoors, EPR, and any of the bigger flowing tracks.
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php.../hpi-flux.html

4) I'd go for either a Speed Passion LPF or an Orion R10, both perfectly fine for 2WD and 8.5 etc. You could turbo the motor if you needed to due to racing at a bigger track. http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...-esc-blue.html

5) Charger, check out Core RC chargers, good value and do the job - www.racing-cars.com

6) Batteries I'd say Orion saddle 5500 90C, however I have heard good things re the new HPI LIPOs
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...ck-40-7wh.html

7) Servo, I'd look at Savox, Spektrum or Orion

Shops I'd use:

www.the-pred.co.uk
www.rccarshop.co.uk
www.jespares.com
www.dmsracing.com

I have used others, but these I feel have delivered the best service
Old 13-05-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Hi Chris,

Was good to chat, I handed you over the Darren and Chris then didnt see you again!

Echo most of what Mikey said by a 2wd motor at our track is 10.5 and then fiddle with the ESC settings to give a boost.

Apex Model's in Crowthorne stock most stuff, You'll get discount there as well! (James and Dean who were racing with us today work there) and they are the club sponsored shop.

Main thing is to go with your gut car wise. Lipo.motor wise, they'll all do the job
Old 13-05-2012

Neil, sorry for not stopping around to chat further. I actually found the guys really helpful and I could see that you were busy with the day so I didn't want to intrude.

All the conversations were really helpful though, the atmosphere was very welcoming and a general from me.

I'll enquire about the Apex models discount, that'd be nice and in the next week or so I'll spec up what I'm thinking of getting and see what people think.

Given what else I have on my plate I won't actually be able to turn up for maybe a month, but I'll stick around on the forum now I'm here and see if I can pop by for one of the Tuesday or Thursday sessions once more
Old 13-05-2012

Hi the sv2 is a great car but the losi 22 is also great
I even know some who finds the 22 better in the wet then he ever
got with his sv in the dry But c4.1 is good also if u want to spend abit more

Last edited by tcboy1983; 13-05-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Missed bit
Old 14-05-2012

Ok so my car shopping list is looking like (please escuse block caps)....

Car - Losi 22
Radio SPEKTRUM DX3C 3CH DSM2
Speed controller - SPEED PASSION GT - LPF BRUSHLESS ESC VERSION 2.0 with additional fan
Battery - TEAM ORION CARBON PRO 5500MAH 90C 7.4V SADDLE (x2)
Motor - Tekin 10.5
Charger. CORE RC UAC50 CHARGER 12V/110-240V

Servo - no idea at all

So I appreciate everyone will have their opinions but this keeps me in budget but any positivei or negative feedback welcomed as when I last did this I'd grown my collection of kit organically.

Thanks
Old 14-05-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Can't see any issues there to be honest.

I use Savox metal gear servo's in all my trucks and buggies. I've standardised on 1251's.
Old 14-05-2012

As you have opted for the Losi 22 that cuts down the choice on servos as you'll need a low profile one.

I have
Savox 1257 x 2
Savox 1258 x 1
Orion VDS-1009 x 1

One thing with the savox servos is that they can draw a lot of power, so you can end up with brown outs on the Spektrum radios. So you need to look at a power cap for the reciever etc. That's why they aren't top of my list these days, good value yes, do the job yes, but at times would have choosen something else.

1251 from Savox - ok, nothing special, bit slow and have seen a number with stripped gears.
Orion VDS-1009 - very nice, but more expensive.
Spektrum http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...w-profile.html
Sanwa - http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...0kg-cm-6v.html

My choice

Orion
Spektrum
Savox

You'll also need to think about space in the car etc. and I'm not sure how big the spektrum RX is you'll get with that radio. Either way fitting kit into a 22 is a challenge lol

One thing you have missed off his a Personal Transponder - PT.

These come from AMB/My Laps or MRT. I use the My Laps PT and haven't missed any laps

AMB PT - http://www.xtreme-rc.org.uk/catalog/...1f9a0a90f36e63

Don't forget to budget for tyres and wheels etc. Schumacher mini spikes for the dry (Yellow) and ballistic buggy greens for the wet as a general rule
Old 14-05-2012

Speed controller i would also look at something else. I would personally go for a Hobbywing 120A V2.1 as these are also rated for motors down to 5.5, which when you progress you may want to change your 10.5 to something a bit quicker. Hobbywing are teh designers, Speed Passion just rebrand it for the UK.
Old 14-05-2012

for servo has to be a savox 1258. simply a fit and forget item
nathan
Old 14-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDomination.com View Post
for servo has to be a savox 1258. simply a fit and forget item
nathan
Hi mate,

Would agree for 90% of cars, but will that fit in a 22

I have a 1258 in Vega and FS

Re HW would still pick a Speed Passion over a HW any day of the week
Old 14-05-2012
Mad Member

ESC wise the new Hobbywind V3 is due to arrive in the UK any time now so I would wait for that.
Old 14-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybucks View Post
ESC wise the new Hobbywind V3 is due to arrive in the UK any time now so I would wait for that.
New HPI too I think
Old 14-05-2012
SHRCCC Legend

I think what we'll all agree on is we all have our own preferences here, but all will the do the job (if they fit in) for a newby.

Lets not try and confuse the poor chap!!! Any of the suggestions above (or yours) will be 100% perfect for you and work perfectly good.
Old 14-05-2012

not to argue mikey but have double checked. in mid configuration you can fit the full size servo but you do have to be creative with the radio layout. most of the team do run a halfheight servo to allow more room or so im reliably informed after double checking lol
Old 14-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDomination.com View Post
not to argue mikey but have double checked. in mid configuration you can fit the full size servo but you do have to be creative with the radio layout. most of the team do run a halfheight servo to allow more room or so im reliably informed after double checking lol
Ok no worries dude - how was the national? - I'm sure you're fitting, soldering skills are a tad better than most of us

I stand corrected.

Oh and I forgot the other Savox 1258 servo in my trusty Losi XXCR which needs a bit of track time soon.
Old 14-05-2012
Mad Member

Default HI

Sorry for not replying earlier been busy.

The 22 is what i run now and love it, and as mentioned to you Sunday(nice chatting) i use mine in the wet alot and its awsome, better than the SV was.
Yes its a little tight for electrics, but a spektrum micro revceiver and a normal ESC(speedo) will still fit in as i use these and a 1258 savox full size servo.
I would say you dont need to get the high priced Lipo's you mentioned, plenty of cheaper options that will perform perfectly.

I would say an 8.5 is a good start motor wise, I run a 7.5t in my 22.

Core RC charger great(i use one)

Come along and see the buggies in more detail. there were not many there sunday as it was the SC national. but club evenings will be better for a good nose.

As Dudders said, we all have our own preference's and we will all advise differently.
So you will have to go for what you like the look of etc really.

Feel free to have a close look at any of our stuff to give you a better idea, were all friendly as you saw Sunday.... well, mostt of us are LOL....

see you soon.

Darren
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 15-05-2012

I'd seriously think about getting this one if you want a Losi 22

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101110
Old 15-05-2012

Dobber - thansk for the suggestion. The £100 saving is a great prospect but I'd really miss the occasion of building it

Tartman - which batteries woudl you recommend then, I'm having trouble finding something that I presume is simalr for less money. Any suugeestions welcomed
Old 15-05-2012

You could always do what most of us do. buy second hand than strip and rebuild when you get it.

try hobbypartz.com gens ace cells about 26quid a pack or hobbyking.com turnigy nano tech cells around 30quid a pack. gens ace are lower rating but i use them and am A regular club a finalist. also they are brca legal unlike the turnigys although both ae perfect for club racing.