Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Mardave

Old 16-09-2011

If your club is not set in the stone age then this can only be the best choice.maybe a brushed class for newracers but they should move forwwrd with the times i have the pleasure of being mates with the guy who did all the testing with lipos and brushless in the begining hope you get the results that you want with the club u race with mate but dont quit
Old 16-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot Slice View Post
Thanks for all you input guys.

My feeling is that brushless and using 1s lipo is perfect for Mardaves and it is the future regardless of the initial cost being a little more. Totally Agree

You can slap one of these in your car and its going to go at the same speed regardless of your tec know-how. Depends on what the rules are, I think the most fair way and to keep the cost down would be to ban the use of so called turbo esc's ( Otherwise people just buy the most expensive esc around to go the fastest) I don`t think this is what Mardave is about.

Also people will always play around with the speedo and transmitter settings to get the fastest out of the car

If the club will not accept a brushless and 1s lipo setup and a 19t or some such doesnt work out then Im going to quit. There is no point in racing and not being able to compete, and im not into endlessly messing about with brushed motors and sub c cells.
This would be a real shame, find out what the rules are and work with fellow racers to get a match on the cars.
Yes you don`t want a car which cant compete, but at the same time there is no point (because of the motor/lipo etc) having a car thats twice as fast as everything else.
Mardave is all about Fast, close, cheap racing. It's what gives it its appeal.

I have raced a Mardave for years and have raced:
4 cell, 6 cell, Lipo 2s, Brushless, G2 motor, 20T Motor, etc etc
Buying a 2nd hand Brushed motor should be quite cheap, send out a wanted post on here.

Hope you find an answer

Brett

Old 17-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot Slice View Post
Thanks for all you input guys.

You can slap one of these in your car and its going to go at the same speed regardless of your tec know-how.
but ist, half the challenge working on the brushed motors to get the best out of them?

Old 17-09-2011

You mean the Black art lets face it would you dig up a hill to get to point B or would you drive roung it to point B simples!!!!!
Old 17-09-2011

The money I have spent on sub-c cells that don't do the job would have been enough to buy a G2 brushless motor and speed controller.

I am not going to wast my money on cells again.

As is, this cheap sport is costing way too much and I'm still not racing.

My hope is that the rules at our club get arranged so that Mardave racing is competitive and is no longer an exclusive sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamorsum96 View Post
but ist, half the challenge working on the brushed motors to get the best out of them?
It would seem so.
Old 17-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulnuneaton View Post
You mean the Black art lets face it would you dig up a hill to get to point B or would you drive roung it to point B simples!!!!!
the AGM is on Sunday.......
Old 17-09-2011

end of the day, i do believe that all clubs have there own rules, its only if your racing at national level that you will need to follow the rules.

i no are club as 2 diffrent classes,

brushed class;
mardave g2, saturn 20 motors running 4 cell NIMH

brushed class;
any 13t or 17.5t brushless using up to 2s lipos.

and this is second time we have started the brushless class and this time its starting to fill up shall we say, with a heat of brushless to the 3 of brushed.
if the class is still running when i build another mardave(as im running micro buggy at same club meeting) i will prob go along and try a 13t brushless and lipo.

Old 17-09-2011

Since I am at the same club as "Apricot Slice" (Where did that one come from??) I will be seconding the proposal to allow the Mardave brushless/1c lipo setup be used alongside the brushed/cells cars. But I would prefer to keep it Mardave brushless stuff (MRT ESC - £95 combo?) so that folk cant go mad with expensive "turbo" ESC's, as that was why I gave up TC's. Too much messing about with settings and not enough racing!!!

This post was started to try and find a comparible brushed motor to use with lipo's so that its competitive with 4 cells, yet keep it cheap. But I think this route might be a false economy.

Bring on the brushless
Old 17-09-2011

Darren

You are highly unlikely to get 1 brushed motor that will perform the same speed on 4 cells as 1c lipo. The only way to do it was to get a motor that was fast enough for the lipo guys, it would then be to fact for the 4 cell users, and assuming they actually drove it it should work out at much the same speed.

Alternatively, what we did was use the Mardave G2 brushless, but limit the speedo's to 80% when using 4 cell, but allow 100% with 1C lipo, it's as close as you get, you can obviously tweek the % value to suit. Don't worry about people cheeting, it's fairly obvious and takes all of 30 seconds to check.

As you may have guessed there does appear to be a move to 1C lipo with brushless sensor motors, probably 13.5, these seem to match the brushed G2 motor on 4 cell pretty close, but remember both are slower than the Mardave G2 brushless on 100% on 4 cell. I would suggets holding off just now and do some testing, I can see a gradual move to 1C lipo and 13.5 coming, the problem will be around the different 13.5 motors, and the fact that some can have adjustable timing on the motor. Running blinky speedo's should even them out.
Kyosho DB1
Kyosho DB2
Kyosho Turbo Ultima
Kyosho Optima
Schumacher Atom
NORA - Northern Off-Road Arena - www.ddrcc.co.uk
Trader Feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49044
Old 17-09-2011

Send a message via MSN to mcjjordan Send a message via Skype™ to mcjjordan

The mardave g2 brushless with the 400 size 4000kv system running a 4cell nimh is very close to a brushed g2 and 6 cell

this is why we run them both in saloonstox
Old 18-09-2011

AGM Result today we agreed on using the G2 brushless system.
G2 brushless users will have to turn down the speedo to whatever % so its the same speed as the 4 cell/brushed guys.
This should free up the options on several counts.

Thanks again for all your input on this.
Old 18-09-2011

Send a message via MSN to mcjjordan Send a message via Skype™ to mcjjordan

we find-

Battery Cut=ncd (No cut off)
Max Speed = 70
Torque = 50
Brake = free (100)
Drag Brake = free (10)
Max Punch = 41
Start Power = 45
mAh = On (Reverse On ?)

is very close if both using 4 cell