Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 10-02-2010

Default hi from manchester

hi all fantastic site
all i have is an old mad bull rc me and my lad mess around with
been up to bury and watched the race and i fancy getting somthing better -try and get my lad [8 year old] more involved in the sport
what do you lads recomend
i think they race 1/10th electric
any advice appreciated
the funnier the better
Old 10-02-2010
Mad Member

Default Starter

Hi

If you fancy having a go or your lad - get yourself up to bury - next event is indoors on sunday 21st Feb 2010, with regards to buying a new car you would be better buying a ready to run package that are usually pretty good for the money and can be improved when ready. We do race 1/10th either 2WD or 4WD and have a look at what other people are running cos then you know you can get bits, advice etc if needed.
Old 15-02-2010

Agree with Jamie's advice here, there is no one right answer to that question. Get to a race meeting and ask lots of questions to get a feel for what cars are used and how much they cost, how easy to maintain etc.

Directions to the indoor venue here

http://www.bmrcc.talktalk.net/chadderton.html

Bury club website here.

http://www.bmrcc.talktalk.net/index.html

The next meeting is 21st Feb.

Chris

Old 15-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Normally for a new starter I'd advise a 2wd car, probably a B4 as they are the most common, but if you are joining us at Bury outdoors over the summer you'll find mostly we run 4wds. However as short course trucks are kinda taking off the one 2wd I might suggest is a good idea is the Associated SC10. Its super tough so good for learning, looks awesome and drives well. Plus there should be a few other SC trucks around to compete against. Truck racing is certainly the best for fun factor.

Edit - if you are coming along on the 21st, walk past the rostrum, past race control to the small group of rather shifty looking people pitting at the far end of the hall. They aren't there because they smell, or cos they are antisocial (though both might well be true) but they are the Bury club. Come and talk to them, see what they run (pretty much anything) and they'll talk you though it - and maybe even try to sell you a used car too....

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 15-02-2010
Mad Member

There are a few clubs around Manchester, Bury is the only one for Off Road. Its a friendly club and the lads are sound. For on road you have Cheadle on Thursdays and Roundabout on every other Monday.

If you want an 8yo to race, Cheadle is open to youngsters racing, Bury Outdoors might also do it at some point (I have a 6yo who wants to race offroad this year (ULP!) but at the moment the only one where kiddies race every week is Cheadle.
Old 15-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well Bury don't exclude youngsters, but you do have a point! Cheadle normally has a specific novice/junior heat for touring cars. Its ideal for kids to learn in because the cars are tough, the barriers are high and they can bump and crash all night without breakages.....
In theory any touring car would work fine for that, indeed a basic Tamiya TT-01 is probably a good start as its simple, tough and cheap to run, all of which are good for new starters.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 15-02-2010

Smile

Hi Nutter.
This is my first post on this site, i have a 9 year old who has been racing now for about 18 months or so he really loves it, started with a hyper 7 now have a losi8 fully hopped up with rb w7 engine he holds his own amongst good drivers and is a little way behind some of the top drivers in the westcountry but he is way younger than them i would start off as you mean to carry on if its outdoors use 1/8th then improve models and engine as he improves buy cheap to start, knock it around but buy something common for spares and cost, race with the best it rubbs off and they learn quick when they are so young, he will soon start beating people. the good drvers wil also pass on set up tips but listen to loads not just one and make your own mind up.
Old 15-02-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Well Bury don't exclude youngsters, but you do have a point! Cheadle normally has a specific novice/junior heat for touring cars. Its ideal for kids to learn in because the cars are tough, the barriers are high and they can bump and crash all night without breakages.....
In theory any touring car would work fine for that, indeed a basic Tamiya TT-01 is probably a good start as its simple, tough and cheap to run, all of which are good for new starters.
Yeah. I didn't mean to imply that Bury exclude them, but realistically I wouldn't have let Max race there last year at an average meeting, because he is still only very young (A rank Novice) and there is never really many heats where he can fit into.

A plasma storm weaving erratically on the circuit might seem fun, but I wouldn't want to have used up all the goodwill of the guys when they collide with him for the n'th time. Would have made me feel awkward.

Also Urmston races twice a week (Weds eves and Sat mornings) They race Mardave stock cars and Mardave Bangers on an Oval. Kiddies are more than welcome there as well.

All these clubs are full of friendly chaps and occasionally chappettes who are willing to give you some advice. My only advice is dont buy anything until you chat to someone at Bury / Cheadle as they will always offer a cost effective solution.
Old 15-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
Yeah. I didn't mean to imply that Bury exclude them, but realistically I wouldn't have let Max race there last year at an average meeting, because he is still only very young (A rank Novice) and there is never really many heats where he can fit into.

A plasma storm weaving erratically on the circuit might seem fun, but I wouldn't want to have used up all the goodwill of the guys when they collide with him for the n'th time. Would have made me feel awkward.

Also Urmston races twice a week (Weds eves and Sat mornings) They race Mardave stock cars and Mardave Bangers on an Oval. Kiddies are more than welcome there as well.
I think I would have to agree with that, the Chadderton/Bury indoor racers are certainly a friendly bunch on the whole and I'm sure anyone would be happy to advise, even those who aren't the smelly ones down the far end. I would be inclined to have a bit of practice elsewhere first as far as the actual racing goes. Cheadle is very small but is probably ideal for learning the ropes. I learned there back in '85!