Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 08-09-2010

that picture looks an awful lot like the pic of the new ansmann xpro4 te buggy, are we sure its actually a cad drawing of the 502?

seems unlike tamiya to release such a sketchy image.

PHULL PHAT - Phat Bodies
Old 09-09-2010

Looking forward to it. I really like the 511 but without those bling diff enclosures the open drivetrain can be a bit of a pain on dirt tracks like the ones we have here in oz.
Old 09-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik Emilsson View Post
If you look at the new models, you donīt think Tamiya is trying to attract more customers?
They are not just making new models for current customers, biggest market should be "non Tamiya" drivers?

They will have shaft-driven 4WD buggy for those who prefer that. They have belt-driven buggy for those who prefer that.

They strip of the 201 all the expensive parts and release an entry level TRF 2WD to attracts beginners. Lower price, but upgradable.
Tamiyas success on the racetracks must be easy to relate to. If you have same car as Lee Martin, but with less option parts, it is still easy to do that.
The DB01<-->TRF501X is not same. You can never upgrade your DB01 to TRF specs. Close maybe, but still just close...

Wouldīnt be surprised if the 502X will be released as a "Basic" model too. Shaft-driven makes it easier for beginners.
Just some thoughts...
I totally agree Fredrik. These would be thoughts of a company. Why not share lots of parts have only low costs of development because things like suspension geometry, damper, general layout are already fixed and produce a car that is for all people who donīt like belt drive or race on very loose dirt tracks like mine here in Austria or many tracks in Australia or in New Zealand as some people wrote. Sure with the diff cover also a 511 can be racxe on dirt but without a doubt a shaft driven car is bulletproof in that case.
All people who race 4WD buggies either race belt driven or shaft driven cars. If you can offer both from one company you have at least the potential to influence 100% of buggy drivers.
Itīs just like VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi and partial Porsche. They share many same parts but are very different. Low costs for Audi but a much higher price in the end because of the big familiy. Seems Tamiya is doing similar things.
As for the jumping i drive a B44 at the moment and the Tamiya TRF502X will be very close to this. All i can say is that it jumps absolutely neutral. You can easily affect jumping so i donīt think the shaft drive along with another motor position will jump much different as the B44.
Old 09-09-2010
oOple Advertiser

Hopefully the 502 will just be an alternative to the 511 and not the successor as i'd see that as a backward step.

The 511, for me, has been a fantastic car this year and i'd hate to change to something that's not as good. We'll have to see how Lee and Co get on with it, trouble is, with his ability everything looks good LOL

From the picture it certainly looks like another B44/BJ4 clone, I know it says that it has the 511 proven suspension but surely the handling of the car is not all down to the suspension, a lot of it has to be down to weight distribution so I doubt it would run the same as the 511 with the motor on the opposite side and facing a different direction

I'm sure the quality of the car will be second to none and if it's proven to be as good or better than the 511 then we'll all jump at it.

I just hope that we're all given the choice and the 511 production continues
Old 09-09-2010

Old 09-09-2010
Super Moderator

Loving the BJ4 clone references.....

G
Old 09-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
Loving the BJ4 clone references.....

G
Yeah, it's odd, the suspension has been a clone all along, and once it's shaft drive it's difficult to not look similar, it's like people are complaining at the 502 being a clone when all the copying really went into the 501
Old 09-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Yeah, it's odd, the suspension has been a clone all along, and once it's shaft drive it's difficult to not look similar, it's like people are complaining at the 502 being a clone when all the copying really went into the 501
And the 201, at least Tamiya are copying decent cars and making them better 501, 201, 502.......... they've not tried to copy a cougar or cat yet I wonder why??
Old 09-09-2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Indeed, the 501 was just a belt driven BJ4.....

G
Old 09-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybucks View Post
And the 201, at least Tamiya are decent cars and making them better 501, 201, 502.......... at least they've not tried to copy a cougar or cat!!!
You never know... if a Cougar or Cat had Tamiya build quality, they might turn out to be a decent car after all!
Old 09-09-2010

Quote:
Ah, so is the slipper they've announced just the current slipper but the new "base"'model won't come with a slipper as standard?
The slipper is listed as a hop-up for the TRF201 and new base 201, but no other details. They way it seems is that it is just the standard 201 slipper, but don't take that as set in stone yet.

I would expect it to be released in December/End of November.

As for another batch of 511s, I can tell you that Tamiya USA is getting another shipment in shortly.
Old 09-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF_AK View Post
The slipper is listed as a hop-up for the TRF201 and new base 201, but no other details. They way it seems is that it is just the standard 201 slipper, but don't take that as set in stone yet.

I would expect it to be released in December/End of November.

As for another batch of 511s, I can tell you that Tamiya USA is getting another shipment in shortly.
Good news, it's a class car so glad there's more available!

Is there a public anticipated release date for the 502 iris it still to be determined?
Old 09-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
Indeed, the 501 was just a belt driven BJ4.....

G
Or just a copy of Yokomo's BX
Old 09-09-2010
oOple Advertiser

Anyone planning on getting a 502 and wanting to rid themselves of a 511 please let me know as i'm looking for a spare
Old 09-09-2010
Thieving scumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mof View Post
I don't know if the pic is visible here (it is an attachment at rctech forums here).

About the Model
-Highly durable chassis consists of carbon fiber upper and lower decks and utilizes many aluminum
parts.
-Features an optimized weight distribution designed to match lightweight, block-shaped batteries.
-Shaft-driven 4WD system with the front-mid motor in a longitudinal position offers superb stability
and handling.
-Uses the TRF511’s proven suspension system.
-Kit also includes:
Front/Rear Carbon Fiber Damper Stays
Front/Rear Aluminum Suspension Mounts
Front/Rear Large Ball Differentials
Spur Gear with Built-In Slipper Clutch
Aeration Dampers
Front/Rear Universal Propeller Shafts
Full Ball Bearings
Why's this look like our x4proTE .
Old 09-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybucks View Post
And the 201, at least Tamiya are copying decent cars and making them better 501, 201, 502.......... they've not tried to copy a cougar or cat yet I wonder why??
lol
Old 10-09-2010

More detail.
Old 10-09-2010
Mad Member

According to the CAD drawing, it's got the same kind of rubbish motor mount the B44 has
Old 10-09-2010

i think this 502 looks Hot .

comparing it to a BJ4 / B44
Hahah. Come-on guys you gonna have to do better then that .

Old 10-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
According to the CAD drawing, it's got the same kind of rubbish motor mount the B44 has
Used to have...

http://www.m-k-racing.com/product_in...oducts_id=7853