Default TA05 IFS

Thinking of buying this for indoors racing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RC-WILLCOM-ADV...3286.m63.l1177

and these to go with an xcelorin speedo

losi 10.5T motor
blue bird servo BMS 621MG

What shocks do i need?
Any worthy hop ups?

Just after some advice as i don`t know much about touring cars but been told these are good! plus i`m a massive Tamiya fan and really want to build a kit!

Andy
Old 09-10-2009

To be honest it's a Tamiya so you can buy as much or as little as you want. I ran a non-IFS one for a bit and it was OK as per kit. Does the TA05 IFS have bearings in the damper rockers or just oilite bushes? If the latter I'd get bearings straightaway.

If you run outdoors on a less than billiard table smooth surface then a set of TRF dampers are nice to have along with a tuning spring set. Alloy steering bits and carbon shock towers should dial out some flex exhibited by the stock plastic parts which in theory will then give a more consistent platform to work with. But to be honest I reckon a lot of that is marketing speak promoted to sell hop-ups and you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference on a TA chassis.

I think you can also go for hardened outdrives, CVD's and alloy hubs, as I say the sky is the limit and it's easy to get carried away on bits that don't actually improve the performance by any measurable amount.
Old 09-10-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

front CVD's
Alloy suspension blocks (especially the rear)
TRF shocks and springs
if you are not intending to run the sleek Tamiya shells, get a normal front shock tower.

I run the IFS-R
Old 09-10-2009

Send a message via MSN to T4miy4 Guy Send a message via Skype™ to T4miy4 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Accident View Post
To be honest it's a Tamiya so you can buy as much or as little as you want. I ran a non-IFS one for a bit and it was OK as per kit. Does the TA05 IFS have bearings in the damper rockers or just oilite bushes? If the latter I'd get bearings straightaway.

If you run outdoors on a less than billiard table smooth surface then a set of TRF dampers are nice to have along with a tuning spring set. Alloy steering bits and carbon shock towers should dial out some flex exhibited by the stock plastic parts which in theory will then give a more consistent platform to work with. But to be honest I reckon a lot of that is marketing speak promoted to sell hop-ups and you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference on a TA chassis.

I think you can also go for hardened outdrives, CVD's and alloy hubs, as I say the sky is the limit and it's easy to get carried away on bits that don't actually improve the performance by any measurable amount.

Thanks for you reply man, It will be for indoors only,i totally understand about the hop-ups situation (bling factor) really want to keep it cheap, but competitive
Old 09-10-2009

there are some to make it handle properly and some for reliability, after that, it is personal taste.
Old 09-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
there are some to make it handle properly and some for reliability, after that, it is personal taste.
Thanks for the reply DMS

So have you got a link for the right dampers please as i`m off on me jolly`s tomorrow and after ordering the kit and that as soon as i get back thanks, i know bugger all about the tour`s

I think thats a good investment as it changed my DB-01 from last place to 3rd position with a damper upgrade

Cheers Andy
Old 09-10-2009
Mad Member

When looking at the ta05, if you are going to buy a new one get a TA05 v2 it has IFS and the suspension layout from the TRF416.

this is the ta05v2 kit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-58435-T...ht_2404wt_1165

here is a original non ifs tamiya ta05 (like vinces)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-58358-T...#ht_2565wt_911
Old 09-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
When looking at the ta05, if you are going to buy a new one get a TA05 v2 it has IFS and the suspension layout from the TRF416.

this is the ta05v2 kit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-58435-T...ht_2404wt_1165

here is a original non ifs tamiya ta05 (like vinces)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-58358-T...#ht_2565wt_911
Thanks for the reply..but what is the difference,i`ve seen the version 2 but what does it bring to the table unlike the limited edition model i`ve quoted,
if you don`t tell me i`ll make them DB-01 damper`s self destruct
sorry but i haven`t the experience or the know how too understand what the difference is... my bad!

Andy
Old 09-10-2009

Tbh i`d rather spend money on the dampers etc.. as i`m just starting in the field...
Old 09-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Don't you dare get a Touring car! I might not be able to beat you outdoors at Bury anymore but at least I can indoors at Cheadle, so don't you go switching classes.
If you do I'll be wanting that Pro-10 back to smack you down with......

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 10-10-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4miy4 Guy View Post
Thanks for the reply..but what is the difference,i`ve seen the version 2 but what does it bring to the table unlike the limited edition model i`ve quoted,
if you don`t tell me i`ll make them DB-01 damper`s self destruct
sorry but i haven`t the experience or the know how too understand what the difference is... my bad!

Andy
The V2 has taken more from the top of the range trf416, it has the shorter suspension arms / a more narrow chassis and the motor is slightly more towards the middle. I just wanted you to be aware that its the latest version available. The benefit is that its the latest version, the issue is that it may have less in common with our ones so we may have less in our collective parts collection that we can share out.

although in the year or so we have been racing them we havent broke much. The only things that have broken are a front upright, and a couple of suspension arms.. but when you consider the speed and size of the track its pretty impressive.

As has been said here before, the only hop-ups I would go for are the tamiya TRF shocks and CVJ's.

here is a link to the shocks we have, again check your favourite shopping sites for the best price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-TAMIY...#ht_1562wt_939

Those are pretty much all the guys have and it manages to keep the schumachers etc at bay

At our club there are 3 TA05 IFS (like the one in your first link), 1 TAO5IFS-R (I would look on the internet to see if you can find one of these as it has all of the essential hop ups.. and more). 2 std TA05's (these have stronger steering arms from the evo4.. vince has this type, its the cheaper one that I had on the links in the other post) And one TA05-ms
Old 11-10-2009

Just get a 2nd hand 415 or 416. Will cost about the same and be 1000 times better. If you are running foam/carpet then something stiffer is the go like an xray t2
Old 27-01-2010

Hello,

New to RC and bagged myself a TA05-IFS on ebay and am looking to add the shocks and the CVD's as suggested in this thread, does anyone know if these shocks will fit http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=1939

Also can anyone tell me what parts are needed for the CVD's? Do the ones from the IFS-R fit straight on or is there a hop-up for the IFS (after looking I can't seem to find them if there is)

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 27-01-2010

The IFS and the IFS-R have different suspension, you will need to get the 46mm driveshafts front and rear, 44mm if you run the car narrow.

Shocks will go straight on.
Old 27-01-2010

Thanks DCM!