Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 10-01-2014

Default Schumacher Cougar 2

Hi All,

This section of Oople has been a long time favourite, some of the examples you guys knock out are amazing!

I have been working on a couple of projects myself, mostly 90's Schumacher cars as these were the cars that I started really 'racing' with.

I have completed CAT 2000 project already, when i get it all wired up I'll post some pics, but for now, i'm excited about restoring a Cougar 2 racing car. It won't be a rebuild for the 'purist' as I aim to build it up with the latest Schumacher big bore shocks, electrics, slipper etc - she is going to be raced, and i hope, competative (to a certain level anyway). I have most parts needed, just waiting for some to come back from the anodizer before the build car start.

The first pic (car on the right) shows the car how it arrived at my door. It was in good condition actually for its age, i stripped it down and had to make a decision about the chassis. As you might know these are pretty rare items, especilly NIP or good, clean examples. Having looked around, i opted for the following which i'm very happy with

I'll try to keep this thread updated with the build.

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sch_%20017.jpg (98.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Cougar 2 Chassis 1.jpg (254.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Cougar 2 Chassis 2.jpg (280.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 10-01-2014

Very nice Is the chassis CF or a vinyl wrap?

Paul.
Old 10-01-2014

Thanks.

I had the chassis hydro dipped by a chap on here (RichyUK). It has been done really well and he even smoothed out some of the scratches from the underside before doing it to.

Apparently it should hold up slightly better than regular anodizing as well which will be a bonus.

Does anyone know what pitch the Cougar 2 belt/diff gear is?
Old 10-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy C View Post
Thanks.

I had the chassis hydro dipped by a chap on here (RichyUK). It has been done really well and he even smoothed out some of the scratches from the underside before doing it to.

Apparently it should hold up slightly better than regular anodizing as well which will be a bonus.

Does anyone know what pitch the Cougar 2 belt/diff gear is?
That's a pretty cool effect. I've been after a real CF Cougar tub for years, but that might be an option
Old 10-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Looks awesome, you have just gave me fond memories as i also raced these back the day.

The first pic that shows the cougers the one on the left seems to be the team version this had the alloy tele driveshafts,ballraced steering etc....

The one on the right seems to be the race version if the steering has ball races. Schumacher also did the sport version aswell.

After that they had the works which was purple.They look great and the chassis carbon effect looks stunning.

Cant wait for the finish thank you for fantastic memories.
Old 13-01-2014

Thanks guys, so far i'm happy with the progress made.

Just waiting on a few bits to arrive, then might be able to start the build up...this might be put back due to new arrival and house move.

xfactor, glad it brings back some good memories. I remember seeing the ad for the Cougar 2 in Model Cars back in the day and wanting one instantly. I think Schumacher brought out three models on launch with (i think) the following specs:

Sport (no slipper or bearings) - £99
Race (included slipper and bearings) - £129(ish)
Team (as above plus alloy roller drive shafts and ballraced steering) - £150(ish)

The Works model came a bit later.

Re the ballraced steering, if anyone has the parts/set could you drop me a PM?

Will try to post an update soon.

Best,
Chris
Old 20-01-2014

Had a few parts delievered last week and was able to find a spare couple of hours over the weekend to get a few sections together. Here are a few pics (not the best quality i'm afriad!)

Would be interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on what is considered the ideal weigh bias for a RM 2WD car as at the moment i'm not sure how to play it.

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1328.jpg (288.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1329.jpg (268.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1330.jpg (274.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1331.jpg (296.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 20-01-2014

The front wishbones are not Cougar 2 items. There from the Cougar/ Club 10
Old 20-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Looks stunning matey, like stated they are the first couger front wishbones the couger 2 has a kick back in them as you may know.

It looks stunning you have now made me make my choice of vintage project and this is it couger 2.

If anyone has a spare or want rid pm me i have put a wanted up for a couger 2.

Keep pics coming looking great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20-01-2014

Default Front arms

The C1 front arms give a longer wheelbase than the C2 which I found to be preferable for handling. I'm guessing this will be a shelter though?

Muzzoom Models Motorsport
Old 21-01-2014

Cheers guys, so far so good. Last night i got the steering sorted and added some Schumacher gold turnbuckles to the front end, it looks good, but will post some pics when i get a bit further in the build.

Yep, the front wishbones are C1 items, as said above they give the car a longer wheelbase and bring the car up to todays 2WD standard. The geometries look better etc so i'm going to start with these and see how i go, i have a couple of sets of the swept back ones so can always try them out at some point - she won't be a shelfer

Really want to get the diff sorted now so that i can bild up the transmission, just waiting on a couple of parts though.

xfactor - there are a few Cougars on Ebay at the moment. A lot of C1's, but i'm pretty sure there is a C2 on there as well - good luck mate.
Old 21-01-2014

Groomi, was it you who rebuild a C2 and raced it at Eden park? If so it was you who gave me the idea to run the C1 arms, also teh servo plate gave me some inspiration for my own rebuild - once i get it drawn up i'll post it up on here.
Old 21-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy C View Post
Groomi, was it you who rebuild a C2 and raced it at Eden park? If so it was you who gave me the idea to run the C1 arms, also teh servo plate gave me some inspiration for my own rebuild - once i get it drawn up i'll post it up on here.
Yes it was me. Glad it offered someone some inspiration!

I must give it another run sometime now that I have a year of racing under my belt.

Old 21-01-2014

It was a good read - I was jealous that you were able to find new works rear wishbones and hubs lol!

Hope you can get some more track time with it.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 21-01-2014

I bought the Left car to your right and pretty much just stuck electrics in it and raced, all be it badly should have really checked the nimhs and brushed gear first! my bad! new electrics for next time. Where are you sourcing your parts? I see you've now got carbon towers are they originals from the team car or have you had them made? and you say you've got swept front wishbones I can't find them anywhere almost thought about seeing if someone could 3d print some.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 21-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilRalph77 View Post
I bought the Left car to your right and pretty much just stuck electrics in it and raced, all be it badly should have really checked the nimhs and brushed gear first! my bad! new electrics for next time. Where are you sourcing your parts? I see you've now got carbon towers are they originals from the team car or have you had them made? and you say you've got swept front wishbones I can't find them anywhere almost thought about seeing if someone could 3d print some.
fibre-lyte sell front and rear carbon towers.
Old 22-01-2014

That's the car i was after initially Neil, but Keith said you just beat me to it...dam you lol The chassis on your car was in amazing condition and it had the alloy rollers on which always look nice on a C2 rebuilt - how was the rest? Aside from the bad brushed electrics did the car go ok?

With regards to parts, Ebay is your friend, as are people on here, the Schumacher forum etc Sometimes shops that have been about for a while (more so your local one than the big online boys) have old stock, just give them a call. First port of call is to stick a part number in google and see what comes up.

If you need a set of swept back wishbones, then follow this link...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Sc...#ht_120wt_1190

As mentioned, Fibre-Lyte can sort you out with the towers.

I just got a complete works gearbox through. It's got a few subtle differences in the middle plastic moulding bit, and the motor plate has the screw holes in a differeent location - i'll compare it to the one at home later.

Does anyone know if the Works car move the gearbox forward? If so i take it you can't bolt a works box on to a racing/team (red) chassis?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 22-01-2014

Ah, I was after that works gearbox but forgot about the auction ending!

The gearbox sits further back in the Works car, so the diff is more in line with the rear wheels which sit further back with the Works arms.

See the pic from my build thread on RC10talk below, that shows the rear driveshafts angled back to the wheels. Apparently this creates 'dynamic squat' pushing the rear down, which is undesirable - hence the works gearbox moves the diff back.

Oh, and you'll need to re-drill at least two holes in the chassis or wait for a unicorn to sell an original Works chassis.

Old 22-01-2014
Super Moderator

Vintage Schumacher page on Facebook too:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/275450642603174/

G
Old 22-01-2014

Stephen from Fibrelyte can make the shock towers in either 2mm or the beefy 3mm for extra strength.
Hydro dipping looks awesome!!!! Thumb up!!!

>>My Trader Feedback<<