Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 02-04-2016

Default Yokomo Dogfighter YZ-834B build project

This was the one that got away when i was a kid ,far more so than the RC10 the car i always wanted but never had was the original Yokomo Dogfighter YZ-834B ,mono shock both ends .I had a look for a fixer upper but they all attract silly money these days so I'm going to build from spare parts and what i can't find I'll make myself ,I have a lath and mill so I have the tools .
So far I have winging their way to me .
Chassis plate
Rear suspension mounts
Front diff housing/suspension mount (I know ,no front diff ,just trying to describe the part)
Front upper and lower suspension arms
Body
Wing
I'll probabbly make the roll hoop as I found the dimensions and the only one for sale is a rip off price.
So I'm short of transmition parts but I've found a supplier of chain and pulleys and intend to replicate the gearbox using modern gears for modern buggies and mill out a gearbox from Acetal .
I'll post piuctures as things progress ,i'm grinning already so stay tuned folks.
Old 02-04-2016
Mad Member

Sounds like you have some skills good luck
Old 02-04-2016

Whete did you find the dimensions?
I'm looking fwd for updates as you get on
Old 02-04-2016
Mad Member

I shall watch this with interest. I remember the mid 80s racing against the original dogfighter and though it wasn't great over the really rough stuff, it was sensational over smooth or undulating. At Batley, when we used to race at the old sports centre indoors, the track was great for a Dogfighter and it used to be so quick. I was told it had a shorter suspension travel and lower ride height so drove more like a touring car (don't know if that is the case?).
Regardless, it was always a great car to watch and race against.
Make sure you post plenty of piccies

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 02-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. ed View Post
Whete did you find the dimensions?
I'm looking fwd for updates as you get on
i just did an image search and this popped up

should be enough to work with ,there's a couple of bits where material thickness is not allowed for but i'm sure I'll manage and I'm just not forking out £50 for the one on ebay , its too much for a bent bit of aluminium bar that I can buy straight for less than £10 and bend myself .
Old 02-04-2016

I know this is way off topic but it shows what i can do ,the black and white picture is a genuine Owen Gun disassembled and the colour picture is of the functioning airsoft (BB Gun) replica I made for a customer.

I made everything you see in the colour picture.
Old 02-04-2016
Awesome Admin

Good work there buddy!!where do I put my order in 😁 If you serch out Northy on here he has a couple of 834's and parts too plus Naushed is our resident expert on them too.
Old 02-04-2016

I might have to drop them a PM at some point about dimensions and scrounging parts but its the wife's birthday this month so funds are low at least until i sell some bits and pieces .
Old 02-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadio View Post
i just did an image search and this popped up

should be enough to work with ,there's a couple of bits where material thickness is not allowed for but i'm sure I'll manage and I'm just not forking out £50 for the one on ebay , its too much for a bent bit of aluminium bar that I can buy straight for less than £10 and bend myself .
Thanks for the info. Do you know the width of the strip too? Someone with acces to woodworking tools could easily make an inner mould and produce replicas at will. Props for going for the early monoshock version ny the way, my favourite version too.
Old 02-04-2016

I don't yet but as these sit under the rear suspensio mount and I have the mounts on order, so when they arrive i'll measure the slot then I'll let you know the width and thickness .
Old 03-04-2016
Mad Member

Hi

Cheers Peakey.

Dadio, if you want PM me with the parts you are looking for. Maybe able to save you the hassle of forming the bits you need! The image that you found was from Hyeong Seop Kim - a Korean guy. He is the truly the yz834 guru (goes by 59burst on this forum).

The hardest parts to find intact are the gearbox halves. Sometimes they were modified or the motor mount screw hole cracked. The pullies are also tricky to source.

Use ball bearings everywhere and check out pargustore for more parts!
Old 03-04-2016

Thanks Naushad ,I need a few bits but I'll have to wait for a couple of things to sell on another forum before i can pay for any more bits .
What I need most are rear trailing arms ,front steering hubs and all transmition parts, i'm quite happy to fabricate the gearbox , its a nice challenge and have an idea for how to ge the gearing made with modern gears .
The gearing will need 3 x 46t spur gears ,a 22t pinion and a 20t pinion, the 22t pinion needes to be screwed to one of the 46t spur gears to make the reduction gear and one of the 46t spurs will need to be converted to a ball diff gear ,then the rest of a modern ball diff parts can be grafted on .
The only really hard bit will be aligning the bearing holes in the gearbox case halves so the gears mesh well ,my mill is not CNC its a plain by eye and by hand mill but I think if I start with one solid plastic (acetal) block and drill pilot holes all the way through for the bearing holes and the screw holes to bolt the halves together ,I can then cut the block in half and mill out the void space for the gears in both halves and it should then all align perfectly .
It's probably a couple of days work but I enjoy doing it ,there is also the virtue of having modern cheaply scorced gears in the gearbox and a caseing thats not 30 year old plastic, I want to be able to drive this car without worrie of breaking expensive parts so I'll probably mill out copies of all the breakable components and keep the original bits for sunday best.

Last edited by Dadio; 03-04-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2016

Oh I forgot ,there is a shop called Technobots and they sell chain and gears to match in Mod1 pitch ,it's what i was planning to use for chain and front (not) diff , that reminds me ,the front one way roller hubs ,has anybody got an exploded view picture of them as i'd like to see how they go together .
Old 05-04-2016

First part arrived ,I have a nice shiny new body and wing yay!
Old 07-04-2016

scored a bearbox complete , motor plate and rear shock with linkages and pivots ,He He .
Old 07-04-2016

Bearbox, or beerbox?
Old 08-04-2016

HE HE gearbox ,sorry i'm a fat fingered typist ,no bears were halmed during the construction of this car .
Old 09-04-2016

Waiting for bits to be delivered from around the world sucks ! Theoretically stuff should start arriving on tuesday , then I can start fabricating the bits I don't have .
Bits to fabricate
1 Rear trailing arms
2 Roll bar
3 Wire Wing mount
4 Wing mountings to the wing
5 Mounting for wire wing mount to chassis
6 Top brace/chain guide
7 Front mono shock bracketts for front arms

Parts that I might fabricate if I can't find
1 Front steering hubs
2 Front axles
3 Rear axles
4 Square wheel drive hubs
5 Dog bones front and rear
6 Suspension mounting shafts

Shopping list
1 One way roller bearings
2 Chain
3 Front chain sprocket
4 Bearings
5 Gearbox guard
6 Paints
7 Front shock

There's probably more
Old 09-04-2016

I just scored ,front steering hubs ,one way roller hubs and axles complete with bearings , i must stop looking at ebay before i'm broke !
Old 10-04-2016

Can anybody tell me the pitch for the pinion ? are they 48dp or old school Tamiya style ?