Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 31-05-2012

Default 1/8th Buggy tyres on astro

Does anyone know of a 1/8th buggy tyre which has good forward traction and minimal side bite, and which works well on dry astroturf?

I'm having a lot of grip roll problems with my HPI Vorza. Sometimes I use Schumacher slicks which give very good mid-corner stability, but at the expense of acceleration/forward bite.

Recently I got hold of some premounted Losi Taper Pins which were very good but hadn't been glued very well and have come unglued almost every time i've used them. Someone else at my local track had the same problem and unfortunately you can only buy them premounted.

I also got some Panther Switch 2s which are almost identical to the Losi tyres, I glued them myself and they worked brilliantly, but Horizon Hobby are no longer importing them.

It also occurs to me there may be another way of getting rid of some of the grip by setting up the car differently, but i'm not the world's best at setup and could do with some advice about this also.

Thanks for reading this, any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by HOTSHOT III; 31-05-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: info
Old 31-05-2012

Schmacher minipins yellow with spike cut of the outer few rows then dremel smoth. just start with 1 row and work your up as you test
Old 31-05-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregors View Post
Schmacher minipins yellow with spike cut of the outer few rows then dremel smoth. just start with 1 row and work your up as you test
I was asking the very same question as the OP about astro and was told the same as what you posted. I was also told if its wet then use Schumacher Spirals in silver compound.
Old 31-05-2012

I tend to use hoboa angle spikes same pattern as spirrels and also jc offsets and schmacher minispike when its starting to dry
Old 01-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregors View Post
Sounds good, i've had some success dremelling the spikes off premounted silver schu minispikes (left over/part worn wet tyres) but as you say the yellows are harder and the smaller spikes of a minipin may also help.

Do you think mounting the minipins myself with a harder insert could help also?
Old 01-06-2012
Mad Member

I was told to use a firm insert with the yellow minispikes when dry. Cut rows of the inside and outside and try and srub them in a bit before use. I find with the pre-mounted tyres that you end up glueing them up again anyway. So your as well mounting them yourself, that way you can place whatever inserts you want in them.
Old 02-06-2012

Thanks for all your help guys, I have some yellow mini pins and hard inserts on order.

Also I might try thicker shock oil, does anyone have an opinion on whether this could help?
Old 04-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
Thanks for all your help guys, I have some yellow mini pins and hard inserts on order.

Also I might try thicker shock oil, does anyone have an opinion on whether this could help?
I would try slightly harder springs first as it worked for me.

>Trader Feedback<
Old 04-06-2012

Default grip roll

hi bud,try stiffer springs/oil(all round) also try bow ties,but i've never liked the idea of cutting up tyres as you can then only go one way with them.
Old 06-06-2012

couple of other set up tips are increase chamber angles and reduce the amount of droop on the lower arms.