Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 17-12-2010

Default Ask a silly question...........

Ok so i am converting my hb lightning 2 pro. i have an esc and have been looking into motors.

one thing i have noticed is that boat/plane/heli motors are alot cheaper than car motors.

so here comes the silly question, is there any difference between? the only thing that springs to mind is a boat motor may be more water resistant, or they mey be designed to provide power in a different way (i.e a boat designed to spend a long time flat out and not alot of accelerating and decelerating)

or are the motors the same and the esc makes the difference?

thanks mike
www.plymouthrc.co.uk
Plymouth RC Think You Can Drive 2010 - 3rd Place
Old 18-12-2010

Well I'm not a boat or plane guy But I will say this; The ESC and motor on our buggies have to put up with alot of smacking from jumps that plane or boats probably do not. Also we are not pushing air or water but hard/firm ground and the full weight of the car so they are probably more robust and torque. That alone would explain why they are so much more expensive.
Old 18-12-2010

well i have been looking into this more and chatting to people who race boats and the resident brushless expert from my club,

on the boat side of things, with the bigger boats there is usualy more weight for the motor to push and believe it or not there is quite alot of impact resistance needed for a boat.

have not managed to speak to anyone about flyers yet.

so far the thinking seems to be that the motors are basicly the same but you would use a lower or higher kv rating depending on application, the difference comes in the way the esc works, a car esc requires different features with alot more range of adjustment needed (so the extra cost is justified) but no one i spoke to knows why motors are double (in some cases tripple) the price.

so i plan a little experiment, i will try a boat motor from good old hk (leopard 2000kv) yes i know they are castle copies but they are 4 pole where as all the other cheap motors are 2 pole, and i can get one to my door for £50

will let people know how i get on.

mike
www.plymouthrc.co.uk
Plymouth RC Think You Can Drive 2010 - 3rd Place
Old 22-12-2010

I understand flyers are very interested in impact resistance. Landing is also known as a "controlled crash" for a reason...