Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 07-11-2014

Default My vintage collection

Here's my vintage collection so far. I'm collecting all the cars I used to have as a kid in the 80's and early 90's. The Procat and Ultima Pro are the same cars I drove as a kid. I dug them out from my parents' attic and refurbished them. The bodies and decals are repro because the original bodies were messed up. One picture shows "display mode" and the other shows driving mode with disposable tires and wheels. The box art paint job for the Procat looks simple, but it's really difficult to mask. I'm also a little annoyed that the decals don't match the box art. :P

The Marui Big Bear is one I bought off Ebay a few weeks ago. I stripped the original paint, filled in a chip and a few crack in the body and repainted it. The decals are repro. It's missing the roll bar and roll bar lights, and the tires are driveable but a little aged, but other than that it's in really good shape.

I also have a Kyosho Raider Pro on the way. Also from an Ebay-seller. I already have a new repro body for it here, painted and decorated in the same colors I had. The only cars missing from my collection after that is the Playtron Lynx, and the red Kyosho Beetle on road car. The Beetle was utter crap, so I don't really care about that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigbear03.jpg (121.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Procat04.jpg (116.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Procat05.jpg (113.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Ultimapro02.jpg (115.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Ultimapro03.jpg (117.1 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by tahustvedt; 07-11-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2014
Mad Member

like the procat with black wheels
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
like the procat with black wheels
Same here, looks great with the body design as well.
Old 08-11-2014

Thanks. I used to have white JC racing wheels, but replaced them with black ones and they look much better. Maybe I should add black side plates to the wing as well.

My Raider Pro will be here on tuesday.
Old 11-11-2014

My Raider Pro is here. The white body and decals are repros from BGT and MCI. Not completely happy with the decals as they are missing several colors in the gradient from red to yellow, but noone will know. It needs a few parts to complete it, but it's in ok shape. I found some original rear wheels on Ebay. The rear wheels are old Optima wheels and the tires are actually new rally tires that fit 1.9" wheels well.

Also, I have to show off the Procat again. I combined the box art body with the black JC wheels, and I think it's an awesome combination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raider01.jpg (102.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Procat06.jpg (103.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahustvedt View Post
The rear wheels are old Optima wheels and the tires are actually new rally tires that fit 1.9" wheels well.

Also, I have to show off the Procat again. I combined the box art body with the black JC wheels, and I think it's an awesome combination.

I would be interested to know what tires those are. Always nice to have some more options for 1.9 inch wheels.

Both cars look nice. I like the Schumacher better as it looks in your first message, but this is also great.
Old 11-11-2014

These are the tires. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Bodies-1.../121467245428?

Here's a picture comparing them to Marwan OT66-tires. The diameter is slightly smaller than the outer spike diameter of the OT66-tires, and the width is slightly narrower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raider02.jpg (122.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 15-11-2014

I was able to source a Playtron Lynx today. That will complete my collection. Can't wait to see it.
Old 15-11-2014

Do the tires need glue? My experience is that with the Schumacher 1.9 inch tires the fit is so tight on the rims, that glue is not needed with a medium power brushed motor.
Old 15-11-2014

The Hot bodies tires need glue om my 1.9" rims. I haven't glued them to mine as I'm saving them for when I need them. I think these rims are actualy three piece rims but I'm missing the inside ring. They would probably be pretty tight on the old Schumacher rims as they are 2.1".
Old 15-11-2014

With those rims you mean the type that needs to be screwed together with 4 thin screws? These indeed need inside rings to clamp down the tire.

The rims that have a very tight fit with the Schumacher tires are the same as you used on the first picture of that Ultima, the rear wheels.
Old 15-11-2014

Yeah they are screwed together. I haven't tried them on the Ultima rims though. The OT66 tires on them are glued.
Old 03-12-2014

The Lynx has arrived. It's in pretty good shape, but is missing the front dogbones (they all are). I found some HPI dogbones that I hope will fit. The body is not as good as I would like it to be, so I want to get a repro from TBG. The only problem is that there are no repro decals as far as I know.

Also, I got the correct rear wheels for the Raider Pro. It looks like it should now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lynx01.jpg (115.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Raider03.jpg (113.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-12-2014

That Raider looks nice this way. I'm a big fan of white body with yellow wheels color combo.
Old 04-12-2014

Very nice collection and Love the Linx! Make sure to add your collection to the bragging rights thread archive

>>My Trader Feedback<<
Old 04-12-2014

Oooh that Procat...

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 04-12-2014

The HPI dogbones fit well. They are probably a mm or two longer than the stock ones, but they don't seem to bind when turning. I couldn't find 50 mm so I got these 52mm instead. Probably useful info, as they seem to be missing fro all vintage Lynx cars.

The bag says they are for the HPI Nitro 3, "drive shaft 6x52". Part number 86036.

I managed to remove all the decals without significant damage and might try scanning them, cleaning them up and printing new decals.
Old 10-12-2014

The 52mm dogbones limited the turning radius by interfering withe the outer drive cups, so they do bind slightly at high steering angles after all. I cut them down and silver soldered them together so that they are 50 mm long. I now have all the turning circle I need. To fix the problem of losing dogbones with these cars I added a ~1mm piece of rubber fuel tubing inside the inner cups before installing the dogbones. That kept them well within the outer dogbones even at extreme angles.

Last edited by tahustvedt; 10-12-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2014

I remoed all the original decals, stuck them to a plastic sheet and then scanned them. Then I cleaned them up and printed them onto some clear decal paper. It turned out pretty good, but it needs to be printed at a higher ink density for the red and blue to come out right. They're not dark enough now. Nevertheless, I applied them to the original body in the box art positions, and it looks better than before. The body was painted on the outside, so the surface was too rough for the decals to stick some places.

A repro body is on the way, and that one will be better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lynx02.jpg (117.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Lynx03.jpg (169.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by tahustvedt; 12-12-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 13-12-2014

The Lynx shocks are oil shocks, sort of.They are filled with oil, and a brass piston inside is lubricated by the oil. Very silly. I refilled them with some 27.5 weight fluid but, as expected, they achieved hydraulic lock due to there being no expansion chamber. I just ended up not filling them to the top instead. The bore is just 5 mm, so I don't have any rubber diaphragms that will fit.