Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 08-02-2014

Default Turbo Optima Mid - Evolution aka 21st Century Mid

This is a project I have been chipping away at on and off for nearly two years with most of the time having been spent sourcing parts, trial fitting various bits and getting ideas from other peoples builds. I've recently gotten to the point where I had all the specs locked in so its now 95% assembled, with a few loose ends and decisions to tie up.
The main aim was to build a Mid that was as modified as possible, but with modern pats. The bulk of the bits would be from the vintage Lazer series, either standard parts or as things progressed more and more custom and aftermarket parts. Also the color theme evolved to being carbon and blue anodised or dyed parts.

First step like all my builds was the diffs. I used ceramic diff balls and a set of new pulleys bearings and plates

Then the first custom piece was the layshaft from Alcyon which lets you run the B4 slipper, along with a new vintage nylon counter gear, new kyosho parts to make up the rest of the gearbox and the associated B4 parts, including the vented plates which I had anodised blue and associated ceramic bearings

So with the layshaft assembled I could then get everything into the gearbox, the Mid rear gearbox is always a little fiddly to assemble I find, you wouldn't want to try and do it in a rush!

After a long search I managed to find a vintage finned motor plate (which I believe is A&L) which I also had anodised blue and a custom motor brace which I had Fibrelyte make for me which extends down in a similar way to the Lazer ZX-R MKII item

So now the rear gearbox could be assembled. Alot of the longer screws I had to shorten to the right length and around this time I discovered kyosho blue countersunk washers which started off going in a few spots but then I used these washers and countersunk screws pretty much everywhere ...

You will notice I cut the wing mount off the gearbox, it was hard to do this to a brand new vintage part but it had to be done!

Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014

Another custom piece I had Fibrelyte make for me was the chassis, which is based on the LWB Mid design but has had the redundant screw holes removed, only has six cell slots and also at the front servo area has been cut the same as a Lazer ZX-R chassis so it will work withe the Lazer ZX-R servo plate

I've skipped the front gearbox and bolting them to the chassis because thats not particularly intresting and someone forgot to take photos ..
Next was the steering, for which I used ZX-R steering posts and a ZX steering plate which I had to cut a notch into so it would clear the gearbox, luckily I worked this out prior to getting the parts anodised! I used the blue ZX-S steering parts

I also had Firbelyte make a custom upper deck for me, the changes from the standard configuration being that it is symmetrical with no speed control servo mounting slots, has two countersunk holes for the screws that go into the lazer steering posts and a small notch at the rear to clear the custom motor brace just like the standard one has on the other side to clear the motor plate. You can also see the anodised ZX servo plate mounted along with blue Kyosho chassis posts and the vintage alloy bulkhead I managed to find. Though at this stage it is still raw and I was not sure if I was going to polish it or anodise it

I then bolted up the shock towers, the rear is a standard ZX-R MKI configuration from Fibrelyte while the front is their hoop type for medium length shocks however I had them remove the hoop section for the Mid, purely for aesthetic reasons

You can also see the carbon battery straps and the kyosho blue battery posts as well as the custom front wishbone pivot plate which is cut to match the shape of the gearbox, another custom piece from Fibrelyte

At this point I decided that I would indeed anodise the bulkhead after most people rightly suggested that even if I polished the bulkhead it would look out of place
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014

So, when it rains it pours! I managed to find another identical finned motor plate so had that anodised along with the bulkhead so I would be sure they would match. The motor plate is going to get used on another build I have planned, along with the second alloy bulkhead I found ...

The standard plastic bulkhead has the extra hole in it for the longer motor brace but the alloy one doesn't so I had to drill and tap that thread

So now I could bolt those parts up and move along. You can also see the pargu rear alloy pivot block which I had them anodise in blue to match the rest of the build

I also used UMW-1 wing parts (which is why I cut the stock wing mounts off the gearbox) along with blue chassis posts to tie the two plastic extensions together

I had also picked up some vintage white RPM wishbones which I dyed blue to use on this build

I had initially considered using equalizer shocks or anodising some medium and long gold shocks blue but then I discovered these and there was no turning back! I only managed to find blue springs for the rear

So, front wishbones and shocks went on, I used some blue kyosho shaft collars which I had to drill out because they were too small doh, I have some of the correct one now but need to get them anodised

Then rear wishbones and shocks. I used blue kyosho washers and nuts wherever I could and all other fasteners are stainless steel. I also used one of these factory blue anodised rear suspension plates, the red one that comes in the set has been anodised blue and put aside for another project

Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014

Plain Awesome Man! Is this gonna be a shelfer or runner ? Hmm RPM arms. Now I know where MPP copied the arm design from ! Grinding off the rear wing mounts is something I wouldn't do myself because I want to have an additional option to use back the original wing mount. I also used UMW-1 as a wing mount , because with repeated rear wing landings, the gearbox was ripped apart at those mountings.
Old 08-02-2014

Keeping with the theme of modern parts there was no choice but to run Kyosho CVDs, I went with the longer ones in the front as I was going to run the front in the wider configuration and of course the rears are the regular shorter width for a ZX or ZX-R. This also meant I could use the blue Kyosho pin type wheel hexes

For the front suspension I started with a pair of teamline ballraced C hubs but I hated the standard bright blue color so dyed them a darker blue, I was happy with the way they turned out

I used the 3Racing ZX-5 knuckles though you have to trim one of the surfaces to make them fit the ZXR style C hubs. You cant see this area once assembled so I left as is

I wanted to run kingpin ballstuds like the ZX-S but this required much experimentation to find the right parts to make it all work.
I ended up using these parts, raiding the collars from the pivot screw set to use on the ballstuds and it all fits together really well, you can see a regular kingpin next to the parts for comparison

I used blue titanium associated turnbuckles and Kyosho heavy duty grey rod ends which I dyed blue, well tried to, they turned out pretty much black but anyway it looks better than the dark grey color for this build

Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
Plain Awesome Man! Is this gonna be a shelfer or runner ? Also, those arm are MPP lazer arms aren't they ?
Thanks, now you know what the layshaft was for!
I was told the arms were RPM by the seller, they were originally white.
This is going to be a shelfer but I would like to run it indoors a few times
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014

So now I could put the rest of the front end together and its starting to look like a complete car

For the rear I used 3Racing hubs again, though no modifications were required to use these. I forgot to take a pic of these before mounting the wheels

For wheels I went with some Kyosho ZX-R 2.2s which I dyed blue along with the mini-spike Kyosho tyres which aren't all that easy to find sometimes

And for the finishing touch a blue Shapeways bumper

So now I was able to mount the wheels up and its pretty much a complete buggy!

Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014

This brings me to where I am at now with the build and what I need to do to complete it.

I stumbled across one of these blue Kyosho wings and decided that it was the perfect wing for this buggy, I had to drill new holes to work but that was no big deal, I have no idea what it is intended for it looks very similar to the ZX-RR wing

The rear of it reminds me of the ZX-S, as you can see with my ZX-S sitting next to it

I am not sure what body to use on it, but I do have a spare ZX-S repro shell and undertray sitting here which I think may be ideal, and if I go for that I may go with these ZX-S style shock towers I have which bolt right up. I could then use the ones on the car for my Carbon Tub ZX-R project instead.
I also need to install the upper belt cover ofcourse but for the shelf am tempted to leave it off

Any other suggestions for a shell or thoughts on which shock towers to use?

One of my friends has commented that you can barely tell its a Mid, it just looks like a modifided Lazer ZX-R lol
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014

Wow!! Time, patience & effort all rewarded with this!
Old 08-02-2014

Awesome, I always though the only bad part of the optima mid was its suspension. with the Lazer Arms I am sure its handling will be brought to the next level. A few questions I have as I am interested in these parts too.

1. Where did you get the rear top deck /bulkhead mount from ? My plastic one keeps stripping at the motor mount screws causing the motor plate to loosen. I also think that graphite MSC plate that mounts the bulkhead on the opposite side like the ZX-r Mk2 is the way to go to prevent loosening.

2. I am also interested in the alloy spacers you placed in between the UMW-1 wing stays to stiffen them.

Please let us all know.
Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashtest33 View Post
Wow!! Time, patience & effort all rewarded with this!
Thanks, this project was in gestation for a long time, with the color scheme it kind of reminds me of Oosh (RIP) Lazer. I did borrow a few ideas from his build. The other non-standard builds planned are an all Carbon Ultima, SWB Mid with Trinity chassis and all vintage hop-ups and a Lazer ZX-RS Carbon fibre tub car, I am just prepping parts for anodising for all these projects. I do also have all the standard Mid variants to build and the Turbo Optima Mid SE-X will be receiving some changes and hopefully be finally completed.
Somewhere in all of that I will build my runner with the vintage carbon ZX-R tub I have here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
Awesome, I always though the only bad part of the optima mid was its suspension. with the Lazer Arms I am sure its handling will be brought to the next level. A few questions I have as I am interested in these parts too.

1. Where did you get the rear top deck /bulkhead mount from ? My plastic one keeps stripping at the motor mount screws causing the motor plate to loosen. I also think that graphite MSC plate that mounts the bulkhead on the opposite side like the ZX-r Mk2 is the way to go to prevent loosening.

2. I am also interested in the alloy spacers you placed in between the UMW-1 wing stays to stiffen them.

Please let us all know.
The bulkhead I found on eBay I have no idea where to get a new one, maybe Pargu could do one, I see he now does the C Hubs in alloy for the Mid.

The spacers are Kyosho blue radio posts, you can find them on eBay but if you don't care about the color you can just use the radio plate posts form a Mid, they are identical bar the color. I still needed to put a 1 or 2mm (can't remember) washer either side as the posts were not quite long enough but thats easy enough
The trick is you have to drill out the UMW-1 to accept 3mm screws and there is not much meat there, don't try and just tap the larger thread with a screw or it will snap the material, drill it out.

So still deciding if I switch the shock towers and if I use the ZX-S body on it. I have a stock mid undertray I will put on it for now while I am deciding
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post

The bulkhead I found on eBay I have no idea where to get a new one, maybe Pargu could do one, I see he now does the C Hubs in alloy for the Mid.
Do you have the ebay link? If all fails, I would just ask my local machinist to copy the mid top deck bulkhead.. Or if you know the keywords you used to search it.
Old 08-02-2014

I don't have the link but its not going to help much the part was secondhand not new
The best bet would be to get a replica machined up, there may be a market for them
I could use another one
There was one thing about ti thats annoying that is it doesn't have the notch for the rubber belt insulator to fit into, I'm to cut one short for this car, though I have one other idea which is to try and use the upper belt cover from a Lazer ZX but I don't think that will be viable
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014

Alcyon I have a question for you
Are any of the Kyosho pinion gears the same pitch as the Associated spur gear?
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014

Amazing!!!
If the buggy will mostly be for shelf art, have you concidered using one of those carbon fiber wing available, like the one I am using for my Blue Thunder project?

>>My Trader Feedback<<
Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiman View Post
Amazing!!!
If the buggy will mostly be for shelf art, have you concidered using one of those carbon fiber wing available, like the one I am using for my Blue Thunder project?
I'll have to check the wing out are there pics in your thread?
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 08-02-2014
Mad Member

This is a very nice build.

You have carefully put this together.

Definitely an optimized optima!
Old 08-02-2014
Mad Member

Wow.

Just Wow!!

Well done Adam - puts my LWB modified Mid runner to shame!

Dan
Old 08-02-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiman View Post
Amazing!!!
Link please as im after one and am contimplating having a mold made for a cf wing, that is if i cant find one.

Dan, ive given you the bug, its addictive isnt it? Hopefully the layshaft will be here before friday this week and will post some pics. Zxs shell will be perfect.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 08-02-2014

Here is an ebay link for two Integy carbon fiber wing models.
The second link is the one I am using for Blue Thunder. Check for dimensions, I think the first link is slightly larger... or smaller, can't remember

http://m.ebay.com/itm/360742705466?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/380821172745?nav=SEARCH

They are available in different aluminum side panel colors.
You can visit; Integy.com

>>My Trader Feedback<<