Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 23-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optima4Ever View Post
If you mean the Lazer ZX-R, the gap may not be as big as it seems. Both have the same shocks, the Custom Mids have about the same wheelbase. Biggest difference is probably the longer suspension arms, creating more leverage, and making it easier to absorb bumps.

Some have combined the Lazer ZX-R suspension with the Custom Mid. Dan has one of these "hybrids" and I've done one as well, see the attached pictures.

As for bodies and decals, the body used on this "hybrid" is from Marwan, and the decals are from MCI Racing. I trimmed this body a little different than stock, as it's fitted on a long wheelbase car.
That does look nice. I've seen the Marwan stuff on eBay and it looks good. His kit doesn't include an undertray but then there are some other ones on ebay.
Old 23-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optima4Ever View Post
If you mean the Lazer ZX-R, the gap may not be as big as it seems. Both have the same shocks, the Custom Mids have about the same wheelbase. Biggest difference is probably the longer suspension arms, creating more leverage, and making it easier to absorb bumps.

Some have combined the Lazer ZX-R suspension with the Custom Mid. Dan has one of these "hybrids" and I've done one as well, see the attached pictures.

As for bodies and decals, the body used on this "hybrid" is from Marwan, and the decals are from MCI Racing. I trimmed this body a little different than stock, as it's fitted on a long wheelbase car.
I have one of these hybrids too though its still not quite finished
The only difference left is the gears in the rear gearbox instead of a belt
Some of the other differences actually make the Mid more like a ZX-S than the ZX-R

All the details are here
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145008

Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S

Last edited by HKS_TRD; 23-11-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 23-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by J77MYF View Post
That does look nice. I've seen the Marwan stuff on eBay and it looks good. His kit doesn't include an undertray but then there are some other ones on ebay.

I am using a Team Bluegroove undertray on my "hybrid" as it's using a standard Mid body on an LWB chassis, so I had to cut the undertray at places to make the body fit. The first attached pic shows that.

The TBG LWB Mid undertray is reasonably priced, but a little too short. I had to sand off a slight edge on the chassis bottom plate and make the fold on the rear portion, that is secured with screws to the rear gear box, a few mm more to the rear. Check the second attached pic to see what I mean. Their SWB undertray fits better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
I have one of these hybrids too though its still not quite finished
Great looking car, I posted some comments in your thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a6417409-125-MidZX_53.jpg (138.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg a6333475-208-MidZX_30.jpg (90.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by OptimaFan; 23-11-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 23-11-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Try my sponser, Kamtec, links below and look at the ZXS and mid shells and you should find the one suitable for you
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 24-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Looking good

Alcyon, you know me, its my ZX. As you know ive proved with your layshaft it is as quick as the current cars out there, if not quicker. Now we have done the layshaft how about doing the diffs, ive got the design and we just need to make it.
I feel that the lwb mids are just as competitive as the lazers.if fitted with lazer suspension. I always feel the main advantage the lazer had over mids was much easier servicing. My lwb is a star performer as seen in my latest video. That durango kid was really miffed !
I beleive now my problem of stripping spurs on my zx is caused by the tbg gear cover not covering the gpm motor plate properly. Anyone want to trade a standard zx plate for my gpm ? I will test My lazer this Thursday, hopefully it wont rain and the track will be dry too.

Last edited by alcyon; 24-11-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 24-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
I feel that the lwb mids are just as competitive as the lazers.if fitted with lazer suspension. I always feel the main advantage the lazer had over mids was much easier servicing. My lwb is a star performer as seen in my latest video. That durango kid was really miffed !
I beleive now my problem of stripping spurs on my zx is caused by the tbg gear cover not covering the gpm motor plate properly. Anyone want to trade a standard zx plate for my gpm ? I will test My lazer this Thursday, hopefully it wont rain and the track will be dry too.
Rama,

A standard lazer ZX motor plate is on the way to Kuala Lumpur!
It's a used one but still fine for a runner! Let me know once received mate.
You can keep the GPM plate, no worries

Brgds
Oli

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
1/10 Kyosho Optima Mid Custom
Old 24-11-2014
Awesome Admin

Quote:
It looks like it drive great Rama I love the old stuff out gunning the newer cars the looks on there faces is priceless.
Old 24-11-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Interesting, great if its just that.

Rama it shows whos the better driver and looked really good. Jumped well too. Id love to come down one day if its ever possible with mine and have a blast with you guys. Ive never been spot on on low grip surfaces but with a bit of practice and setup changes i think we could dominate.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 25-11-2014

Oli. You have been a great help.i could always send the gpm plate after my testing.
peakey..yes the feeling is priceless, thats why i still continue with a vintage buggy.
welshy40, thanks for the compliments, but i feel i am only slightly above average skill wise. That durango kid beat me in a race in june, and he is actually pretty quick too. my car is much better now because of harder springs and 7 degree zx5 caster blocks otherwise he would have beat me again. You and any oople member are most welcomed to come to malaysia for a vintage race or even to compete head on against modern cars.
J77MYF , sorry for hijacking your thread. I have a swb mid just like yours, and i am still trying to improve its handling. Its working pretty well at this moment but i am working on some tweaks to make it better , i will share what i learnt with you guys

My SWB at the track with 30wt oil and Hobbyking quonom vandal tyres.
I swear it was running better an hour before this. I realized after this video was taken, one kingpin fell off.

Last edited by alcyon; 28-11-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 25-11-2014

Quote:
Oli. You have been a great help.i could always send the gpm plate after my testing.
peakey..yes the feeling is priceless, thats why i still continue with a vintage buggy.
welshy40, thanks for the compliments, but i feel i am only slightly above average skill wise. That durango kid beat me in a race in june, and he is actually pretty quick too. my car is much better now because of harder springs and 7 degree zx5 caster blocks otherwise he would have beat me again. You and any oople member are most welcomed to come to malaysia for a vintage race or even to compete head on against modern cars.
J77MYF , sorry for hijacking your thread. I have a swb mid just like yours, and i am still trying to improve its handling. Its working pretty well at this moment but i am working on some tweaks to make it better , i will share what i learnt with you guys
That looks really nice. Do you have an undertray on it? I've tried mine with a 10.5 beushless setup and it loves to wheelie. It's a lot of fun to drive:-)
Old 26-11-2014

Quote:
That looks really nice. Do you have an undertray on it? I've tried mine with a 10.5 beushless setup and it loves to wheelie. It's a lot of fun to drive:-)
Yes I use a TBG undertray. It wheelies because you don't have a slipper clutch. Try reducing the punch too.
Old 11-12-2014

The new body set arrived from Marwan earlier this week. I painted it last night and put the graphics on early this morning. Just got the wing to sticker up tonight. image.jpg
I'm using the LWB undertray cut to the chassis rather than the SWB one. Hopefully I will be racing it tomorrow night for the first time in over 25 years at my local club.
Old 11-12-2014

image.jpg
Old 11-12-2014

Looks nice. Can you show how you cut that undertray?
Old 12-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaFan View Post
Looks nice. Can you show how you cut that undertray?
I got the LWB undertray and cut it out to the shape of the SWB chassis. I tried to keep as much of the tray as possible but it just wouldn't work. I'm only running the car indoors so it should be fine.
image.jpg
Old 12-12-2014

I see, it's more a chassis protector now. I faced a similar challenge, as I wanted to fit a regular Mid body to a LWB Mid, for this "hybrid" Lazer/Optima Mid contraption.

I was able to keep most of the LWB undertray sides intact, except on the front part, as the SWB body follows a different shape than the LWB bodies there.
Old 12-12-2014

The finished car all ready to race tonight.

Old 12-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaFan View Post
I see, it's more a chassis protector now. I faced a similar challenge, as I wanted to fit a regular Mid body to a LWB Mid, for this "hybrid" Lazer/Optima Mid contraption.

I was able to keep most of the LWB undertray sides intact, except on the front part, as the SWB body follows a different shape than the LWB bodies there.
That's a nice car. I also have a Lazer ZX which I'm going to put the LWB Optima Mid body and under tray on. Do you know if that will fit straight on?
Old 12-12-2014

Quote:
Hi,

Where did you run it & how did it go?
Old 12-12-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:

That looks just awesome!

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117