Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 12-11-2014

Default Newbie question about Kyosho GT-12 glow engine

Hi, I have a question about my old GT-12. I've recently started running nitro buggies (just for fun, I'm not a racer) and I'm having trouble with setting my engine up.
After a lot of tinkering I've reached a point where I'm not sure what to investigate next. The engine fired and ran fine but after shutting a wide throttle opening the engine would die. I've tried different fuels and glow plugs but it's now at a point where it only runs with the starter on the plug. I fitted an OS no.6, (a hot plug), and have tried Byron Race 20 and Model Technics Qwikfire 16 fuels. Mixture screw is 2.5 - 2.75 turns out. Compression is decent.
My understanding is that the plug is still too cool, but I'm surprised as the OS is labelled as hot. Do I need to go even hotter? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Chris
Old 13-11-2014

Default engine problems

i had a kyosho GS-11 engine long ago in a 4 wheel drive onroad car and that engine had some issues also....

you can try a os nr 3 plug i think that is hotter than the nr 6 you are using...., i used it and it fired up quite good.

you can also try to put the engine back to its original settings if you have a manual that says how to do that and start from scratch.

OR you can buy a better engine, force 12 engine or hpi 12 engine or if you want to continue and maybee race a bit than get a much better enigne, OS maybee....
Old 13-11-2014
Mad Member

The GT12 was a very good engine. with the red pullstart?

It will be very old and worth checking o rings are not perished as it will mean engine tuning will be tough.

It sounds like the engine is too rich if the starter has to be left in?

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 13-11-2014

Kenios and Neil, thanks for your replies, it's great to hear your ideas.

A little more background: I bought this engine and fitted it to a Kyosho Rampage, a late 80s buggy based on the same chassis as the Ford RS200. I went for it because they are reputed as good reliable engines - I wanted something that was keeping in the period, wouldn't be too fussy, and a little quicker than the OS 10 that the Rampage originally came with. Oh, and it was also cheap!
I had it running a little better today with the glow plug (unidentified) it originally came with, but it isn't keen on idling, on any needle setting. I have used silicone around the carb joint to seal against air leaks, and I can't see any blowing around the cylinder head, but there is a small weep of oil from the output shaft - between the bearing and flywheel.

Neil - it is the one with the red pullstart. I haven't investigated the carb yet, and you make a good point - it is 20 years old. I'll take it to bits tomorrow...

Kenios - I've bought a couple of plugs to try - an Enya #3 and a Taylor, with an idle bar, as an experiment. I have also considered a new engine replacement, as I would rather enjoy driving this buggy than tuning it every run. I would need to make sure it fits okay though.
Old 14-11-2014

Default engine ?

Hello again,

does it have a side exhaust or is the exhaust port situated inline with the caburator ?

if side exhaust than i know hpi ( 100%)and force have those replacement engines, you also have to check wich kind of crankshaft you have to buy almost the same but better engine.

it sure sounds like you need to replace the engine, i think it is worn out !

on mine everything was worn when i opened the entire engine, the rubbers were perished, the carburator had done its time, not much compression when pulled over, etc...

kenios
Old 14-11-2014

Kenios, I will bear the new engine in mind as a last resort, but for now I want to try and fix the GT. I like bringing old machines back to life!
I have been told that the oil leak indicates an air leak from the output bearing, and that makes perfect sense. I am going to replace the bearings and check the carb. First I have to get those tiny seized screws undone...
Old 16-11-2014

Okay, so I cheated a bit and bought another motor - an OS Max CZ 12Z SE with some nice hopups, and it runs like a watch, albeit a very loud, smoky one
I'm still determined to fix the GT 12 though. I'll keep you updated. Thanks guys.