Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 17-11-2014

Default Mardave Meteor LWB Prototype

This is my nearly complete Mardave Meteor project. This car is fitted with a Mardave prototype chassis, Kyosho gold shocks and a copy of Greg Halliday's rear shock mount as featured in Radio Race Car June 1990. Tyres are original Schumacher Mini Pins just as I used to race at Hereford Shire Hall back in the late 80's. It's taken me a long time to build this car, utilising as many parts from my original Meteor as I possibly could. The wheels front suspension, gearbox and rear suspension are all original from the car I used to race, the original chassis was destroyed as part of my final year school project in 1991. The prototype chassis was a very lucky find, there can't be many of these out there? This chassis is notable because it has mounting holes for both the Meteor and the Cobra gearboxes. I think I remember Scott Raynor using a prototype Cobra gearbox at some nationals in 1989/1990? Anyway I love Meteors, they were such a great, reliable and inexpensive car that you could modify to your hearts content. So here it is my ultimate Meteor.

Nostalgia
Schumacher Boss Cat ...... Schumacher Pro Cat ...... Schumacher Cat XLS ....... Schumacher Cat XL ...... Schumacher SWB Cat ...... Schumacher Top Cat ...... Schumacher Top Cat 89 Worlds Replica ...... Yokomo Super Dogfighter YZ870c ...... Kyosho Optima Mid LWB ...... Kyosho Optima Mid SWB ...... PB Maxima ...... PB Mini Mustang ...... Marui Ninja ...... Marui Samurai ...... Mardave Cobra ...... Mardave Meteor ...... Mardave Meteor LWB
Old 17-11-2014
Awesome Admin

No pics pal
Old 17-11-2014

I had one back in the day. Those things were virtually indestructible apart from the gearbox. Why don't mardave make buggies now?
Old 17-11-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Wish id kept in touch with Kristian Wiles as he drove and tested the Cobra and leant me his car to test at an event and liked it, understered a bit much for my liking but made the A with ease. Great car for a budget price
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 17-11-2014

Lindsay still has that car James, and it was by far not a stock Cobra....
Old 18-11-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

wasn't the meteor available in short and long wheelbase versions back in the day anyway? I seem to recall it was, but I'll have to check old Radio Race Car issues to verify.

Mardave now is under different ownership to the original company, and so focussed on their GT12 circuit and banger racing.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 18-11-2014

The original was a SWB they then released a LWB.
Old 18-11-2014

Yes my first RC car was a SWB Meteor. Later upgraded with ball races and a long wheel base chassis, with a lexan shell instead of the solid white plastic shell. The LWB chassis could bend easily just like the original centro. Remember adding brass square sections to brace it. Great car wishbones were about 50p to replace.
Old 18-11-2014

Default Mardave Meteor

I don't know why my pics won't upload? Any ideas

Nostalgia
Schumacher Boss Cat ...... Schumacher Pro Cat ...... Schumacher Cat XLS ....... Schumacher Cat XL ...... Schumacher SWB Cat ...... Schumacher Top Cat ...... Schumacher Top Cat 89 Worlds Replica ...... Yokomo Super Dogfighter YZ870c ...... Kyosho Optima Mid LWB ...... Kyosho Optima Mid SWB ...... PB Maxima ...... PB Mini Mustang ...... Marui Ninja ...... Marui Samurai ...... Mardave Cobra ...... Mardave Meteor ...... Mardave Meteor LWB
Old 18-11-2014
Awesome Admin

What are you using to upload them ?
Old 18-11-2014
Mad Member

Trying to attach them directly from an email by the looks of the link.

Surprisingly enough, we don't have access.........
Old 18-11-2014

You first need to upload the pics onto a file hosting site like Photobucket; http://smg.photobucket.com/ Then link the photo form there into here using the 'insert image' function

Sounds like we have both been inspired by those Greg Halliday RRC articles... I've been building up a Meteor to the spec as outlined in his last 'Modified Meteor' article dubbed the 'MK3'.... this is as far as I've got so far... can't wait to be able to see the photos of your build!

The Meteor was only ever offered with a SWB chassis in the kit - but the long wheel base chassis was sold separately as an upgrade part - with which you needed the optional matching LWB lexan shell (which is now available as a repro part from Penguin Custom Shells). There are early and later versions of the LWB chassis - the early one had the standard width front which used the original car's front arms where as the later one had a narrowed front which required the use of longer arms (as per my car)
+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 18-11-2014

We need those pictures, I've recently got hold of a lwb chassis myself for a modified Meteor winter project of which Dan has already been a great help
Old 19-11-2014

Default Pictures

Using my iPhone, but that just says upload failed. Tried to take pics from my phone and upload via my laptop but that's just created a link...... Shame cuz the chassis is nothing like the standard LWB. It's saddle pack config with a top deck. I'll try again......

Nostalgia
Old 19-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Lindsay still has that car James, and it was by far not a stock Cobra....
I havent been in contact with him for ages, do you still have his contact details.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 19-11-2014
Awesome Admin

Install the photo bucket app on your iphone and use that pal sooo easy
Old 21-11-2014

Default Photos

Does this work?

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Alex...0Uploads/story

Nostalgia
Old 21-11-2014

There you go

Old 21-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I havent been in contact with him for ages, do you still have his contact details.
Only through Facebook.
Old 21-11-2014

WOW that looks awesome!! I absolutely love it! I remember seeing Mardave team driver Lee Romang (now racing again at RRCMCC) with highly modified Meteors at my local club, but I don't ever remember seeing him running a saddle pack chassis like this one - very trick!

P.S; Any ideas on what paint scheme you would like on the bodyshell?
+ too many vintage racers to list!