Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 19-04-2009

Default nitro fuel

is it ok to change brands of nitro fuel because i found a place that sells it cheeper that my hobby store
Old 19-04-2009

Default changing brand

yes it is ok to change brand but your engine will need retuning
Old 19-04-2009

cheers mate im new to all thius rc stuff i only just tuned my engine lol ill check see if they stock my brand and can i put 20% instead of 16%?
Old 20-04-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

depends, if your running where 16 is the max allowed in the rules, may also need another head shim, depending on head clearance, will also need retuning
Old 20-04-2009

You also need to be aware of the oil content.
The 16% you refer to is the nitro content which as Mark says, will affect your engine's performance and you will need to adjust your carb settings to maintain optimum temps etc.
But the fuel also contains the lubricating oil and the amount (and type) of oil in the fuel will also have a big effect on the engine cooling and running performance.

Changing manufacturer (assuming both are reputable) won't be a problem but changing either the nitro or the oil content is likely to necessitate re-setting of the carb.

You can do an awful lot of damage very quickly with an engine that is running too lean - Here speaks the voice of experience

As a general pointer - also don't forget that the engine will lean out as the fuel tank runs dry - so an engine that is optimum at the beginning of a run may begin to become over-lean towards the end of the run - it is always safest to set as rich as possible so that it will (just) accelerate cleanly from idle without 4-stroking or 'fluffing' on a full tank.
HTH
Old 20-04-2009

im not racing im just messing around with my cars im kinda new to all this and i wasnt shure if you could put more %fuel in or what the deal was with it but cheers for the advice i think ill just stick to the brand and % i got its only for fun any how