Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 30-05-2016

Default Airbrush kits

Hi all.

Want to start airbrushing my shells. Can anyone suggest an ok kit for a beginner without spending a fortune. Also what paint to use

Cheers
Old 30-05-2016

Iwata Neo is a good brush to begin with, but it wont be long until your after a better brush, Worth trying to pick up a second hand Iwata CS ect, as the quality you get from it will be much better.

Any oil free compressor will do, I use a draper 25ltr compressor and love it. Sealy silent compressors are good if you need to keep the noise down. I use this late at night but it has a much smaller tank so is always filling itself up.

As for paint, Createx, Faskolour, Wicked Colours, Autoair will all work perfect when reduced to the correct viscosity. I Generally use alot of Autoair these days as you can get these in bigger and better value bottles.
Old 30-05-2016

How much pressure is needed for the brush? Is there a max you use? Does putting too much pressure through the brush ruin the paint?
Old 30-05-2016

There is already lots of information if you use the search facility..

Anyway, If you don't want to spend a lot because you don't know if you will stick at it then you can get away with one of these for about a year of learning anything up to 1/8th truggy in spray size. - I get on with it just fine but it will start to die after about a year of regular use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Airbr...kAAOSwEetV8-WK

Pressure wise it depends on what you are trying to achieve, however there is no pressure that ruins paint. Naturally at first if you don't have airbrush control then spraying at a high pressure for fades etc can lead to it splattering all over the body if you are too close to the shell - Anywhere from 15psi to 60psi is the normal range. If you want to fade into a dagger stroke then 60 psi, if you are doing really intricate detail like lights and grills then lower it to about 20psi etc.
Old 30-05-2016

Can I get you opinion on this one please on ebay

Cheers all
Old 30-05-2016

It's not got a reservoir tank on it, so it will be constantly on - you will be waiting for air if you need high pressure for any more than 5 seconds, like filling in medium to large areas or doing passing strokes. Better off paying £20 more for the tank version (as linked above). It will also die quicker because it's working harder.
Old 30-05-2016
Mad Member

My only comment is that it appears to have no tank, which means it will be quite noisy and constantly running. If you have a tank then it fills up and then allows you to use the air up before it replenishes.

I use the compressor Steve showed above along with an Iwata brush and it is fine. I started out with a cheap £30 set up (all in) and it was ok, but I soon needed to upgrade both parts

Paint wise, all the ones listed above work well but I can't stress enough - let them down to the correct consistency otherwise you will clog and splatter paint everywhere no matter how good the kit is

As what Steve said (apparently faster than me ��)

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...

Last edited by Ashlandchris; 30-05-2016 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Steve beat me to it
Old 30-05-2016

Some say he is faster behind a keyboard than between the sticks.

All good info from same experiences though
Old 30-05-2016
Mad Member

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...