Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK

Old 09-09-2009
Mad Member

Thumbs up Potential new 1/10th electric track in NE Scotland (10 mins from Aberdeen airport)

All,

Some advice please if you will,

Tonight I had a meeting with the manager of a very smart leisure centre up here in Inverurie, it is a modern facility with great space.

I took along a couple of buggys and proposed a business partnership, he gives us land, we build a track with his help and he gets most of the proceeds. He showed me a piece of ground at the back of the car park which was almost made for an RC track:

• Grass bank - 50% already a drivers stand, just needs barriered off
  • Contour changes in land profile
  • Ample parking just steps away
  • Mains power in a garage in the car park approx 15 mins away!
  • And the amazing thing - loads of free astroturf!
So, you can see my keeness for him to agree to us building a world class track - airport and hotels nearby, food, drink, toilets you name it!

He wanted me to send him the following info:

• How many UK tracks are near leisure/sports centres, I could only think of Batley when I was in the meeting but there must be others? Please list them below?
  • Also, is there a standard size for a track, if we get go ahead we want to do this properly and hold some national/european/international events at the track....would you travel up??
All help gratefully received!

Dan
Old 09-09-2009
Mad Member

Hi Dan,

Depending on what events were on then people would travel. For example if there was a BRCA Naional or a Euro's event then people would make it. Is there a solid enough club base up there in terms of numbers? If so then good luck.

As for tracks near Leisure Centres, not sure about many in Britain but the 1/10th Off Road Euro's in Bilbao was on the site of a leisure centre
Old 09-09-2009
Mad Member

Do you honestly think that people would travel to Aberdeen for a National event?
Im not killing the idea off but its 5 hours drive for me and i live probably the most northern of all national drivers.(im sure ive seen a kilt at Nationals!!)
Would people from say EPR travel that distance in a car? They could go via aeroplane but that would push the cost up a bit.
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 09-09-2009
Mad Member

yer it does sound like a great place to make a track, i know there isnt alot of places in scotland to do 1/10th so it would be good. i know of a few tracks that have been in skools and also leasure centres, also a few more that move into them during the winter for indoor racing, so this place could be a great location.
Old 09-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68nufc View Post
Do you honestly think that people would travel to Aberdeen for a National event?
Im not killing the idea off but its 5 hours drive for me and i live probably the most northern of all national drivers.(im sure ive seen a kilt at Nationals!!)
Would people from say EPR travel that distance in a car? They could go via aeroplane but that would push the cost up a bit.
Why not??? Do people want to get their National grades?

I raced at a National event in Scotland (Kirkcaldy) in the Mid-90's. Maybe Aberdeen is a bit too far but why punish a club or drivers by not turning up because of the distance??

It's like travelling up and down the country to watch your football team play (which is something I also do on a Saturday), if you have the passion for it then you will do it.
Old 09-09-2009

Hi Dan,

We have started running 10th Electric Offroad at our local club in the Central Glasgow Area - East Kilbride to be exact. We run in a local school on wednesday nights, I know most of the guys would be interested in a proper offroad track, so you would have our support along with Chris Mitchell from ARCCC.

www.ekmodelcarclub.co.uk

Regards
Raymond
EKMCC
Old 10-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68nufc View Post
Hi Chris,

I am from Newcastle but live up here with work, we've maybe raced together at Fewsters (as was) in Hexham or Longbenton?

For the Much-More UK GP touring car events at Stonehaven (just South of Aberdeen) we have had people from the South/Middle/North of England/Ireland/Wales/Holland/Korea/Switzerland/Hong Kong and Middle East all travel for race events so I think it's a goer

Must get the track built first though

Dan
Old 10-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondkerr View Post
Hi Dan,

We have started running 10th Electric Offroad at our local club in the Central Glasgow Area - East Kilbride to be exact. We run in a local school on wednesday nights, I know most of the guys would be interested in a proper offroad track, so you would have our support along with Chris Mitchell from ARCCC.

www.ekmodelcarclub.co.uk

Regards
Raymond
EKMCC
Thanks Raymond and all for your comments.

Hope to race with you soon.

Dan
Old 10-09-2009
Mad Member

Nice website Raymond, I have to say it sorry but in the gallery on your website there's a pic of my 415MS from the GP at Stonehaven I think it was 2006, underneath it says "Tamiya Replica Paintjob"......believe it or not it is actually one of Marc Rheinard's race shells signed by him! I bought it in a charity auction which he had donated to at an overseas race....don't have it any more though! Wish I did!
Old 10-09-2009

Thanks Dan,

Didn't realise that was the actual shell. That is cool. Think your right, it was 2006 GP.

Working on the site, should have some youtube embedded video of club racing soon on the site. Will be at falkirk on sunday with the buggies, need to try and get some video on the iPhone there too.

Raymond
Old 10-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Why not??? Do people want to get their National grades?

I raced at a National event in Scotland (Kirkcaldy) in the Mid-90's. Maybe Aberdeen is a bit too far but why punish a club or drivers by not turning up because of the distance??

It's like travelling up and down the country to watch your football team play (which is something I also do on a Saturday), if you have the passion for it then you will do it.
I wasnt being a killjoy in my post. I would attend a national there but just wondered if others would be up for it. Good luck with the venture. Lets hope there is a flight from NCL Airport to Aberdeen, and by the way, its bloody freezing up there aswell.
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 10-09-2009
Mad Member

Joking aside you'd need snow ploughs to race up there.
Old 10-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

do you have pictures of your proposed new venue?

I am looking for spots to build a track and this has given me a few ideas. cheers
Old 10-09-2009

i know of a few ppl who have attended the "national" series in past years (traveling to the likes of epr ect)! they live in and around the glasgow to falkirk area so it would be great if us in the scottish region had a national track on the list. so all support from me n i hope to get up there some time when your running
Diementia would like to invite you to vote for us on Total Biker FM here : http://lnk.ms/TPsV9 and share this link. Please also share this link.Thankyou for your support \m/ www.reverbnation.com/diementia
Old 11-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
do you have pictures of your proposed new venue?

I am looking for spots to build a track and this has given me a few ideas. cheers
Thanks again guys - I didn't have my camera with me but next time I'm in the area I will take some pics - it really is ideal and I just hope they give us final approval soon so we can get building.

Watch this space as I may be calling on Scottish racers for some help with the build, that sand filled astro turf is damn heavy!

Cheers,

Dan
Old 11-09-2009

Default Getting to Aberdeen

I live in aberdeen and tend to fly around the UK a fair bit. Ok yes, its not the closest to anywhere in particular so I though i would just give some ideas of cost and time....

Flights....
Aberdeen airport is 20 mins away, as per the MMUK GP at stoney, we will pick people up if required.... flights from everywhere, see this map:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...toaberdeen.jpg

If you book in advance to get cheapest flights.... from Luton on easyjet booking for March flying on a friday, returning on a monday its £80 (but you may have to pay more if you are bringing loads of kit!)

From Manchester for march on BMI baby its £70 in the sale, £100 otherwise. Any further north and i guess people would drive.

Road....
Durations from aa website from Leeds 7hrs (although I drive this every month and its 6 hours if no traffic!), from newcastle 5 3/4hrs (take an hour off this if no traffic)...

Train.... There are trains to Inverurie... book far enough in advance and they are dirt cheap.

The point I am trying to make is that if the round dates are set in advance by a fair amount, people can take advantage of the lower rail/air tickets and then the distance / cost thing doesnt seem too bad... but then again I would say that as I live in Inverurie and would trade my left foot for a decent track up here!

Regards

Chris