Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 16-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
More space for the speedo and receiver.
What Speedo and reciever..? There should be pleanty of room unless you have some older equipment...also are you talking about the two little front tabs that done have a hole for screwing it into the chasis... if thats the case go for it and cut them..
Old 16-07-2014
Mad Member

Guys would anyone have any starter points for a high grip carpet set up?

Bests.....lee
Old 16-07-2014

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphee View Post
Guys would anyone have any starter points for a high grip carpet set up?

Bests.....lee
I'd be willing to bet that that one I posted above from Satoshi would work pretty well since it was a Astroturf/ Carpet mix that that set up is from
Old 17-07-2014
Mad Member

Ill give it a go then Dave thanks buddy, first time out in 2wd, and i bagged Marks awesome car, so im dying to get it on the track now!

Lee
Old 18-07-2014
Mad Member

Don't rule out the kit setup either, I just raced mine for the first time tonight on an indoors multi-surface track and although I had very low expectations of the kit setup, assuming it was for dirt, it was actually REALLY nice to drive. No grabbiness, no tippiness, just very settled and smooth. Perhaps a smidge of mid-corner understeer, all I did during the night was lean the front shocks in one hole and increase the punch on my speed controller. And the shocks make the jump landings butter...

This is with Minipins on the rear and LP cut staggers on the front. 21mm ride height. Gear diff.

I'm going to try the Satoshi setup in the near future, it is VERY different from kit so it will be interesting to see what it is like.
Old 19-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Don't rule out the kit setup either, I just raced mine for the first time tonight on an indoors multi-surface track and although I had very low expectations of the kit setup, assuming it was for dirt, it was actually REALLY nice to drive. No grabbiness, no tippiness, just very settled and smooth. Perhaps a smidge of mid-corner understeer, all I did during the night was lean the front shocks in one hole and increase the punch on my speed controller. And the shocks make the jump landings butter...

This is with Minipins on the rear and LP cut staggers on the front. 21mm ride height. Gear diff.

I'm going to try the Satoshi setup in the near future, it is VERY different from kit so it will be interesting to see what it is like.

This is what i found out too. I was racing on a medium-highgrip national race on clay. The car was very smooth and easy to drive, also when the clay started to dry out. Only trouble was a bit of understeer and rear bottoming out on steep jumps. So i changed the rear piston from 1.7 to 1.6 and jumping was just right after that.

I also drove a few laps at the dusty home track and its incredible how well this handles on low grip too!
Old 25-07-2014
Mad Member

Thanks both, ill try that, not running it for another week as I'm away, but ill start at the beginning. Ok being a pedantic/OCD fool, spare chassis (i cover every avenue lol) I'm betting along with the side guards they can only be had in the XM kit or XR conversion set? Thing is, the conversion set is close to the price of a full XM kit, would it be a part i could keep just in case i bend one or break a side guard? Or does that sound like overkill? I only ask due to the subject matter being of a limited factory run.
Im kinda throwing everything at this car now haha.

lee
Old 25-07-2014

Ordered mine this this week in HK. Hope it gets here next week.
Already got a new HW (blue) V3.1 and a HW V10 6.5t here to fit in when it gets here.
Sold my Xray XB4 2wd for it, as i ve Always been a T-fan. I used to have a TRF201XM/XR but sold it as there werent any gear diffs for it that time.
Old 25-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Thanks both, ill try that, not running it for another week as I'm away, but ill start at the beginning. Ok being a pedantic/OCD fool, spare chassis (i cover every avenue lol) I'm betting along with the side guards they can only be had in the XM kit or XR conversion set? Thing is, the conversion set is close to the price of a full XM kit, would it be a part i could keep just in case i bend one or break a side guard? Or does that sound like overkill? I only ask due to the subject matter being of a limited factory run.

lee
The xm/xr chassis not the same as the xmw so don't waste you time and money sourcing one
Old 26-07-2014

Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie Top Force

Quote:

lee
Stellamodels is releasing spares, including chassis for the 503 now, so hopefully, same sort of spares will be released for the XMW, XR/XM platforms. Whilst the chassis are different there are many common parts. Pitty there isn't an XR kit, as mine is great on tracks not so suited to mid motor cars. It was interesting watching the recent Euros and seeing the rear motor cars getting some attention again!

David
Secretary/Treasurer
Southern Highlands Off Road R/C Car Club Inc.
(NSW Australia)
http://shorrcccinfo.wix.com/shorrccc
www.facebook.com/SHORRCCC
Old 26-07-2014
Mad Member

Guys thanks for the replies, didnt realise the plates were different MW kit, duh lol, ill hold out for Stella, could be a safe bet seeing as 503 gear is now being listed!

Bests.....lee
Old 26-07-2014
Mad Member

If you contact one of the Japan based stores they might be able to get the spare for you since it has an 8-digit number.
Old 26-07-2014
Mad Member

Do you have said number buddy? Im away this week, would like to get a message to them in the meantime though!

Bests....lee
Old 26-07-2014
Mad Member

Not to hand but it is in the manual.
Old 27-07-2014

Hi guys,
I am considering getting the 201xmw and have afew questions I was hoping you guys can help me with.

1. What is plastic quality like?

2. How much slop is there on the joining parts (I have a B5 and there is quite abit of slop, although less than the B4 series. I also have a Schumacher SV2 and there is very very little slop and plastic quality and durability is stunning)

3. Does the car run better on saddles or shorties?

4. You had to pay ridiculous amounts of money for some basic tuning on the Schumacher cars, unlike AE where many of these tuning options were available in the kit. What is Tamiya like?

5. Any issues with the turnbuckles? I hear they can come loose and the camber settings change.

Thanks in advance, fellas. Its a really expensive buggy and I wanna be sure I'm not going to regret the decision. I'm really happy with my Schumacher SV2 and the AE B5 but the 201xmw is too sexy to pass.
Old 27-07-2014
Mad Member

I wouldn't bother if you have a b5 get a b5m and the additional grub screws to take the slop out of the hubs etc.

At least you will be able to get parts for the AE cars and they won't randomly discontinue the car unlike Tamiya.

This is my opinion it's up to you
Old 27-07-2014

Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie Top Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy74 View Post
Hi guys,
I am considering getting the 201xmw and have afew questions I was hoping you guys can help me with.

1. What is plastic quality like?

2. How much slop is there on the joining parts (I have a B5 and there is quite abit of slop, although less than the B4 series. I also have a Schumacher SV2 and there is very very little slop and plastic quality and durability is stunning)

3. Does the car run better on saddles or shorties?

4. You had to pay ridiculous amounts of money for some basic tuning on the Schumacher cars, unlike AE where many of these tuning options were available in the kit. What is Tamiya like?

5. Any issues with the turnbuckles? I hear they can come loose and the camber settings change.

Thanks in advance, fellas. Its a really expensive buggy and I wanna be sure I'm not going to regret the decision. I'm really happy with my Schumacher SV2 and the AE B5 but the 201xmw is too sexy to pass.
I don't have an XMW, but I have an XR/XM, currently running XR due to our track conditions, but essentially the same car other than a few differences. The quality is great, everything fits where it is supposed to and slop is minimal, nothing a shim or two wouldn't fix.

The XMW comes fairly high specced so you don't need to buy lots of up grades, maybe the spring set and aluminium rear hubs? You can check prices at Stella models and RC Mart against AE parts. Good thing is many AE parts from B5M will fit the XMW - see earlier in this thread. A big warning in respect of the Titanium Screw set for the 201 - the button heads are a bit soft, I turned stripped two screw heads this weekend rebuilding my car - had to use the dremel to cut the head to fit a flat head screw driver. This was due to thread lock, which is required to hold screws in aluminium posts and parts, otherwise they come lose too easily! I nearly lost the front suspension hanger (in the rear of the car) once as the screws loosened after a few runs! The standard screws are stronger. The only other gripe, minor though, is the shock bleed screw o-ring seal. It does it's best not to seat behind the screw to create a seal, it tends to bulge out. Nevertheless, my shocks aren't leaking!

In respect of the XR/XM, saddles work great. In respect of the XMW, Lee Martin used Saddles to take second at the worlds last year. However a lighter shorty might be best if you are running 17.5 class.

In the end if you want the car go for it! It may not offer any more performance though from what your B5M delivers.

David
Secretary/Treasurer
Southern Highlands Off Road R/C Car Club Inc.
(NSW Australia)
http://shorrcccinfo.wix.com/shorrccc
www.facebook.com/SHORRCCC
Old 27-07-2014

Thanks for the replies guys. I am confident its a good car and will perform well but I think this one might just be a used once in awhile on carpet and spend most of its time sitting pretty on the shelf while I abuse the sv2 and b5m.
Old 27-07-2014

B5M and XMW are in my eyes quite similar.. If you really look what was changed from AE centro to b5m.. Its much more like the cars which won (RB6) and came second (XMW) in the worlds.. Altought XMW is mid motor the weight bias is quite rearmotorish.. Also did you watch the Euros a week or two ago? 3 finns in the A main we're driving b5m, and the track was very low grip.. And it was the first time any of those guys got in to the a-main.

What I really like about the "new coming" of the midmotor is that XMW is very consistent for me, no matter the overall grip..Its more like a 4wd, you don't need to change everything when the grip changes a bit.. Just pick the right front tires..

Soo we've seen quite impressive results with the b5m aswell as XMW.. Its a pity that so few drive tamiya.. For me I havent had any trouble finding parts for my tamiyas. Majority of the parts are used in other kits too like 501/503/Durga/TA-06/F103 etc.. If tamiya discontinues something. Its usually easy to get the parts for years. Also they don't change plastics very often.. And the quality if of course top notch so why change them..

The new turnbuckles aren't as tough as the blue ones in the old 201 IMHO.. I have snapped a few.. Altought there's no trouble of bending or the threads coming of...

And yes, the XMW is quite well tuned up.. Maybe use better turnbuckles if you really want to spend some more money to it..
Old 27-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I wouldn't bother if you have a b5 get a b5m and the additional grub screws to take the slop out of the hubs etc.

At least you will be able to get parts for the AE cars and they won't randomly discontinue the car unlike Tamiya.

This is my opinion it's up to you
can you tell me the release date of the original 201 and when was discontinued ?just curious lol