Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 17-11-2012
Mad Member

Default What do I need to get started?

My nephew came down on Friday to have a look. He's decided to go the mardave route. Could somebody give me a list of stuff he needs to get racing? I.e which kit to buy and what electrics etc. please.
Old 18-11-2012

Default Where to start

Hi.
You can run any of the Mardave cars we just prefer the countersunk screws to protect the carpet, they pop ip on eBay every so often. I think most versions are currently being run.

Do you have anything to start with or are you starting from scratch?

If you are looking for brand new then the Mardave ce edition will be spot on if you can afford it throw in the diff (48dp). The hobywing xerun speed controller and a 21.5T motor and you will be good to go.
Old 18-11-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMadShane View Post
Hi.
You can run any of the Mardave cars we just prefer the countersunk screws to protect the carpet, they pop ip on eBay every so often. I think most versions are currently being run.

Do you have anything to start with or are you starting from scratch?

If you are looking for brand new then the Mardave ce edition will be spot on if you can afford it throw in the diff (48dp). The hobywing xerun speed controller and a 21.5T motor and you will be good to go.
Thanks, will be buying all new, what battery and bodyshell should I get?
Old 18-11-2012

For the Lipo i would go for the 2S Shortie Lipo, its a hard case so it should be safer.. make sure you have a Lipo Sac too.. as for shell take your pick.. we do not have a set shell.. I like the Mazda 6, the Superstox drivers have had to run the Ascari because of the Chippenham rules.. but we at gloucester hope to be open for the new rules.. as yet to be signd off though..

?? are you Sponsored by Schumacher ?? could you get the SS cheeper??
Old 18-11-2012

A good choice and great balance between looks and performance would be the Kamtec Sierra Cosworth. But there are so many, you have a huge choice. Get something interesting!
Old 18-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
A good choice and great balance between looks and performance would be the Kamtec Sierra Cosworth. But there are so many, you have a huge choice. Get something interesting!
What DAve means by 'get something interesting' is don't get a speed six as he hates them
Old 19-11-2012

That's pretty much it.

DAVE
Old 19-11-2012

If it helps,. there is a Mardave in the for sale section at the moment
Old 19-11-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjames View Post
If it helps,. there is a Mardave in the for sale section at the moment
Bought one off capt flatout. If my nephew takes to it I'll get him new gear for Xmas. He should be down Friday to race, he will probably need somebody to take a look over the car and make sure it's working properly with his radio gear.
Old 19-11-2012

You won't have a problem there, we will all be happy to help out.
Old 20-11-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
You won't have a problem there, we will all be happy to help out.
Great, his name is Harvey. Hopefully the car arrives before Friday. Being posted tomorrow so should be.
Old 04-01-2013

Quote:
You will like my new shell then........

I am just waiting on my ESC and Lipo to arrive, but as soon as I have that I should be making an apearance! Hopefully next friday!
Old 06-01-2013

Great shell, I like the small details along the bottom of the doors. I am a huge fan of the Texaco Sierra too. I did the same shell, a while back. Look forward to seeing yours at the club!

Old 06-01-2013

Quote:
Great shell, I like the small details along the bottom of the doors. I am a huge fan of the Texaco Sierra too. I did the same shell, a while back. Look forward to seeing yours at the club!

Yours looks great! I love the wheels on yours! Im not sure if I can make it this Friday but should be there the week after!

This was my first attempt at airbrushing so I was quite pleased with how it turned out, I couldn't find Texaco decals anywhere so had to airbrush it. The masks were a little big and I have also screwed up the mounting of the shell so I will have to trim some of those logos to enable the wheels not to catch. I'll know for through next time though!!
Old 06-01-2013

If that's what you have done on your first airbrush job then you are well on your way to becoming an expert. Getting text and thin edges good like that is much more difficult than some of the fancier 'racing' designs. My Texaco text and logos were all painted too but I have done countless shells and have a lot of experience.
The pic shows my shell fitted to my Tamiya M-03 chassis, and the wheels are Tamiya.