Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 18-02-2011

Send a message via AIM to EDS Send a message via MSN to EDS Send a message via Yahoo to EDS

AndyF: Yep I'm starting a new project and after I start it I will come back to this and starting figureing how to fix the problems and dial it in.

Kasval: Thanks. Yep thats part of the idea is to gain engineering experiance from these projects and have projects which I can show companies when I apply in a few years.

Till: Thanks, along with showing them the actual car and I am in the process of drawing up the entire car in Solidworks and so pictures of those drawings should help. Unfortunatly, I won't have my Mechanical Engineering degree for another 4 years.. so I can't apply until then.

John: Thanks, yep I definatly plan on applying at different companies for an engineering position once I get my degree.
Old 18-02-2011

Default Neat

Hello EDS, very nice car, ideas, how you solved problems how you got the solutions, for real, very very good, and above all share all that and show all how it went, wish that get your degree well and a job in the industry that makes you happy, apart cant even imagine what will build in 4 years from now, but for sure would love to see it, and drive it , if that would be possible, but better dont lend it , same problem as you good in mechanics , not good in driving ,,, well so is life
but have to thank you very much for sharing your deram, and how it become reality

thanks a lot for all, and if need help any time just let me know

All the best
Old 13-03-2011

Send a message via AIM to EDS Send a message via MSN to EDS Send a message via Yahoo to EDS

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the build...it looks like I will continue to develop this car in the up coming months..

To my dismay... I'm having to revisit this project sooner then I would have liked.. I have recently become a Contributing Editor for a magazine.. I sent some pictures of this project to them to check out and they want me to send it to them for pictures and want me to write an article on it...

Currently its fully disassembled..So i have to replace the broken parts with some new ones and try to figure out the suspension issue before I send it out.

Sooo be looking for this project in... Rcdriver mag.

So guys after looking over this project...I'm thinking it might be better to switch to a regular stand up shock set-up.. the inboard shocks do add alot of weight..and its very hard to figure out the right spring stiffness and all the geometry with out knowing the mathematics yet. I'm thinking about keeping the revo shocks..but redesigning it to use stand-up shocks..this would allow me to lighten it up alot and be able to get the suspension to work properly. I ofcourse would keep the rest of it the same because I think the rest of it works great.

What do you guys think? Should I work on refining the laydown suspension with possibly Team xtreme X11 parts...or should I go to stand up shocks?
Old 13-03-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

You might be able to try Ishima shock layout
Old 13-03-2011

I think you should stay with the layed down shocks, this is what (i think) is your special thing in building cars. This is your speciality, you did this with 2 or 3 cars as far as I remember.
So stay with it for the mag and if you want to change it, wait till after the mag.

TLR 22 "1.0"
Old 23-03-2011

till: as much as I would like to stay with laydown shocks.. I just don't have the knowledge to design the suspension so it would work properly. Now ofcourse I will learn this knowledge but I don't know the mathematics yet.

I believe in-order for my buggy to be competitive I will probaly have to switch to a stand-up shock system. I do believe my buggy will still be very unique though becuase of the belt drive, pivot ball suspension,etc

I did change the P2 rockers on the front of the buggy to Long Travel rockers and those seemed to soften up the suspension alot but still allowed for the buggy to rebound.. I also tried dying the springs black and I think they turned out great. I re-made the parts that where broken and packed it all up in a box.I sent it out to Rcdriver yesterday..

Here's a picture of it before getting into the box...

NOW...back to my vacation from this project..and some time to work on a basher project.
Old 23-03-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

I had the idea of bolting an E4 backend onto a buggy a while back and now I find out someone else had got there first! You even sorted out the main issue, the addition of a slipper.

Try bolting that transmission to the back of a B4 chassis - it would be a very simple job compared to the scratchbuild of the K2v2!

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 01-04-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
till: as much as I would like to stay with laydown shocks.. I just don't have the knowledge to design the suspension so it would work properly. Now ofcourse I will learn this knowledge but I don't know the mathematics yet.

I believe in-order for my buggy to be competitive I will probaly have to switch to a stand-up shock system. I do believe my buggy will still be very unique though becuase of the belt drive, pivot ball suspension,etc

I did change the P2 rockers on the front of the buggy to Long Travel rockers and those seemed to soften up the suspension alot but still allowed for the buggy to rebound.. I also tried dying the springs black and I think they turned out great. I re-made the parts that where broken and packed it all up in a box.I sent it out to Rcdriver yesterday..

Here's a picture of it before getting into the box...

NOW...back to my vacation from this project..and some time to work on a basher project.
Got to say this is the coolest and most innovative build I've seen, you've got some real skills and I look forward to developments with this car
Old 16-04-2011

colmo: Yea the slipper took some time.. quiet a few hours of latheing down a aluminum rod. But hey it works, it was definitely the hardest part of the build. I think it could be a bit tough to bolt this rear end to a B4 chassis since the "webbing" on the B4 chassis.

Beng: Thanks a lot for the compliment!

The buggy is still with Rcdriver...they said they are going to make and paint up a new body for it for the pictures though. Once I get it back I hope to keep testing and developing this buggy. I really want to get some videos of it running for you guys.
Old 22-04-2011
Mad Member

great work dude.

I think that indeed, the laydown shock-system adds quite some weight to your project ... but on the other hand such a system can quite easely be adjusted so there is a very strong pro to it.
(there MUST be reason why such shocks are used in F1-cars! )

I think you can easely soften your suspension by making some adjustments to your rockers ... and offcourse to the shocks itselves.
A softer spring, more holes in the piston, thinner oil.
on the rocker: make the distance from the shockhole to the rocker-axle a bit shorter. this way the pushrod will have a larger lever-functionality, IMHO.
Actually, (being an ex-predator-racer) I think that even small changes might make a big difference.
And who knows, maybe just by returning to more conventional shocks (B4, Kyosho, BB TLR22, ...) might get you back on track AND would easy your project.

As what weight is concerned, It is a pitty that the car is this heavy but nowadays, 2WD-cars are often equipped with quite some weight/brass to add on traction with all that heavy brushless-power. A 1700 grams car is no exception anymore.
Also, if, later on, you could replace some other parts by carbon parts, that would drop the weight of the car also.
Old 16-05-2011

Thank you guys for all the support and comments about this project. After giving this buggy real hard look I don't believe this project will progress any farther. To make this buggy better I was looking at having to fix the suspension, drive train, and steering while also cutting down on weight and increasing durability. Fixing all the problems to make this car competitive would take a good deal of re-designing. Also, the features that I thought would be advantageous really weren't such as the laydown shocks and the pivot ball suspension.

I'm sorry to say but this project is going to be put up on the shelf. This is sad for me becuase of all the hard work and money I put into this buggy. But...

2wd buggy is still one of the most popular classes at my track...so I have to some type of custom, unique, buggy to race. For that.... look for a new thread in the next few months..as I have come up with a 2wd buggy project which I believe will have a much lighter,simpler design, and achieve all the goals I had set for this buggy..including being unique....and being able to keep up with the B4's and 22's

Project: Traxxas J2
(1/10th 2wd based electric buggy)
Old 16-05-2011

thats a shame fella, i really liked your design
Old 17-05-2011

Thanks, I liked the design too.. it looks great also but I just don't think it can compete with the other buggies.
Old 17-05-2011

yes you may be right, but at club level i think it could work if you make it reliable have you fort about using a B4 front end with the inboard shocks, if i had the time i would of loved to tried to made 1 similar.

sorry if there is any spelling mistakes, im a retard
Old 17-05-2011

I think a 'regular' buggy (B4, Losi etc) with inboard shocks would be cool, that way the geometry is all good and the balance shouldn't change much, and the durability will still be as good as the rest of them. Do you think a torsion chassis would work off road? so torsion bars flexing instead of springs compressing, that would be pimp if you could make it work.