Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 05-01-2008

Exclamation What a beginner!

Hi you all! Here is the story of an amazing beginner. Prior this, he just wrote many post trying to show the whole world how to pic a car and teach every newcomer from now what steps he needs to do. Now, the translated story, I've tried to be as loyal as possible to the original text:

Well, now I'll explain you what i've done with my new ZX5 rtr and I seize the opportunity to launch some questions.

1- When the car finally arrived I couldn't wait a minute to use it, so I run to the supermarket and bought 3 chargers that included 4 rechargable alkalyne batteries each. Every charger plus 4 cells was 44€, a bargain. The cells are ni-mh 2400mAh 1.25v and the box says that you can cycle them up to 1000 times.

2- At home I had one box where I can place the cells to get an 11v pack, I used it to build on 7.5v pack, 6 1.25v cells

3- I also had one TX from a Nikko toy car, and I have a lot of practice with it. I took the crystal from ZX5 TX and placed it on the Nikko one, it worked great, even better with being more sensitive, so it's easier to drive the ZX5 now.

4- After that, I made some drift tyres for the car with a hoe that i had at home. The inner diameter of the hoe was 4mm bigger than the wheels, so I covered them with duct tape until they fit. Then i take a scissors and cutted the excess of tape.

5- I plugged the 3 chargers with the 12 cells, the instruction manual says that you need between 10 and 16 hours to charge them properly, I let them charge for 11, so the cells were at 70% of their capacity.

6- Meanwhile the cells were charging, I reviewd diffs, hubs, drive shafts... also checked that bearings to be well covered with greasse and tightened the screws, just in case...

7- The great moment arrived. After let the cells rest for 8 hours after charging, I took the car, entered 6 cells tightly in the box, mounted the drift tyres and headed to the street, where I could drive without any danger ant started to drive, enjoying like a child with a new toy.

Conclussions after the 1st test:

1- The cells, at 70% of their capacity, lasted for nearly 30 minutes, counting that I used 2 packs of 6 cells, 7.5v each. I hited throttle with no mercy, forget about break in and other stupudities .

2- The cells got little warm, but I could take them at hand easily, I think they were around 40-50º C the esc didn't warm at all, the motor got warmed less than the cells and its power and economy surprised me.

3- The car, right out of the box but drift tyres achive 45-50km/h with full batteries, at least it seems so to my eye.

After that I'm very, very happy with the RTR, the only thing I didn't like were the stock drive shafts.

Now just some questions:

1- Are the cells using the right ones for what I'm doing?

2- If I'd use 10v, just adding 2 more cells to the boz, will I brake something in the car (TX,esc,servo, electrics)? I'm not planning to do it, but I feel curiosity.

3- Will I fell too much difference in power, rpm and run time between sotck motor and a Mamba Max 6900?

4- Will I fell any difference between my alkalyne rechargable cells and A123 Li-Fe cells from a 36v dewalt pack?

5- Will I have any issue if I use my current cells whit the Mamba?

GO FOR 'EM DOGBERT!!

Please visit:
WATT RC CARS

http://www.oople.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=562&dateline=12565680  10

Last edited by albertobdq; 05-01-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Adding some pics from the story
Old 05-01-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

AA batts ?

whats it drive like ?
Old 05-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

Why use AA's?
Old 05-01-2008
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

Maybe he thought they were more powerful. Cheaper to buy aa's than having to buy a charger and cells? On a budget.

lil ben
Old 05-01-2008
kyosho_greg

come on is this supost to be a wind up?? or wat i mean aa battarys and your finking about useing a dewalt 11.1v battary lol

n i think you will feel a bit of diffrence between a mamba max brushless and a stock motor

n why use aa battary's??

not exacly ideal for raceing if you gotta wate 11 hours for them to charge and 6 to leave them buy a stick pack last longer n well dont flirt out of your car when u jump it lol
Old 05-01-2008
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Well he has drift tyres on. Does that not show he isnt going to be racing it. I put in my post above WHY he might be using aa's
Old 05-01-2008
Lee-Mag

That is ace

Its all so logical though if you think about it and know nothing about rc cars.

The only thing i question is, how RTR is it without Tx, cells, charger etc
Old 05-01-2008
Mad Member

if you check out e-bay mate thers some cheap packs on there. and some very reasonable chargers too
Old 05-01-2008
Mad Member

these koyosho rtrs look really good for £125 you get everything u need apart from a battary pack and a charger ! fantastic value for such a great car !
Old 05-01-2008
kyosho_greg

Default .

look for a pro peak battary charger they do the job pritty good n you'll probobly get one prity cheap of ebay
Old 05-01-2008
kyosho_greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Maybe he thought they were more powerful. Cheaper to buy aa's than having to buy a charger and cells? On a budget.

lil ben
he could start raceing in doors lol
Old 05-01-2008
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Why does it make any difference wether using indoors or outdoors
Old 05-01-2008
Mad Member

now now
Old 05-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

i have a headache now, 16 hours to charge battries ..... you what!
Old 05-01-2008
kyosho_greg

he could start drifting indoors lol
Old 05-01-2008
Mad Member

dude thats hardly fair..
Old 05-01-2008

Send a message via AIM to HVAC25000

isn't drifting with a 4wd buggy the exact opposite of what it's meant to do?

we call that "blasphemy" in the u.s.

Larsen's Biscuits
Old 05-01-2008
Mad Member

what a n00b!

I think we should all try 36V dewalt batteries on mamba max's too!
Old 12-01-2008

everyone seems to be able to tell how fast something is going by just looking at it, i cant seem to do that is there something wrong with me?

as for the aa batteries when i got my very first real rc car i used a nitro receiver pack built with 4aa batteries to try it just because i couldnt wait to get a proper pack. i drove it for about 30 sec before the batteries got really warm. the car was a tamiya tl 01 with a mechanical speed control and silver can motor. i dont think that he drove the car for so long at full throttle with aa batteries, they just werent made for such loads and they get hot really quick. also the connector springs in that battery holder are 1mm thick thats way too thin to be able to transfer that much power.

for batteries i will never go back to ni mh, lipo forever and its better to get a good charger right away one that does everything so you can use it for many ears and not have to buy a new one later on.

i would like to mention one thing though, everything was done nicely and is very clean so thats a very good job. most new people just hack things together not caring.