Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 13-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default fiesta stalling again.

Midway through 2012 my daughters fiesta 1.4 tdci started stalling . Diagnostics came up with crankshaft position sensor so a new one was fitted and 19000 miles later all was well until now. The thing is stalling again.
Booked it in for a full service and diagnostics showed the fuel rail pressure sensor was faulty. Ford wont sell one on its own you have to buy the whole rail £250 +vat. I soured a new sensor £56 and it was fitted and fault code cleared but it still stalled when they started it up they think it may have been air in the system as it seemed ok later when it drove without stalling.
Im collecting it tomorrow but if it plays up again does anyone have any ideas what else could be the cause
Old 14-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just picked it up and it started first time. I drove to the nearest garage to fill it up. Started first time out of the garage then stalled on a roundabout less than 100 yards from the garage. managed to freewheel off the roundabout and got it going again after several times. It the n drove fine for about 1/2 mile and cut out again. after several times it fired up again so I waited for the temp to come up then took it for a long ride and it drove fine.
I read somewhere that this was a problem for earlier models which was fixed with some electrical mod and wonder if anyone knows if this would work on a mk7 2006 1.4 tdci.

\same again started it up from cold it started first turn then while idling it stalled after just 20 seconds. Took a few turns to start again then stalled. I started it again and took it for a 30 mile run through town and the by-pass. It ran perfect so something is wrong with starting from cold but I've no idea yet.
Old 15-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I primed it with the bellows and it ran fine from cold several times and a overnight rest so air is not making fuel drain back into tank from cracked fuel pipes.
I started it from cold again and it drove fine until I went round a tight roundabout three times then it spluttered just after the exit. I tried this again from cold same result nice driving smooth accelerates as well as a 1.4 can do but once again it spluttered when going round the same tight roundabout three times. I drove to a much bigger by pass roundabout drove it hard a few times but no problem.
Any ideas. I saw on google some guy had same problem , it turned out to be the crank position sensor plug was loose. This sensor was new last 2012.
he fixed it with a zip lock.
I've just done 2 discs in my neck and 2 in my back again so I cant bend very well to see it.
Old 18-06-2014

Sounds like its trade in time.
Old 18-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'd check it with a vacuum gauge first to verify the engine is running healthy physically. its oldschool, but very simple and cheap to do. Electronic diagnosis with fault code logging frequently shows the symptom, but not the actual cause. you can also pickup a cheap OBD2 code scanner to check and reset codes yourself. some codes can be general and may have you swapping all sorts of electronic bits, when the problem could be more basic and mechanical, not electronic.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 18-06-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Seen a few where the ckp wire had been rubbing on the drive shaft.also a few where the Frp sensor wiring has loose pin grip,
Old 18-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I picked my daughter up from the airport on sunday night and it ran fine. She went to work 50 miles away and it ran fine but when she left work it stalled in the first half mile then was ok. She swapped cars with her mum today and it ran fine for her mum. Her mum's taken over and taking it back to the garage as we speak. If anything is found I'll post again to help any others that may have similar problems.
Old 18-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Seen a few where the ckp wire had been rubbing on the drive shaft.also a few where the Frp sensor wiring has loose pin grip,
Two things I'd be checking...
What's the betting the local spanner monkeys haven't a clue, change loads of stuff and charge you for it, then it still does the same thing...
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 19-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Bit of a strange one this. All the above ideas checked and it turned out to be the crank position sensor again was faulty. same problem as 2012.
It runs fine again now and the mpg has gone from 62 to 64 mpg.
daughters moaning about the cost but she saves £1400 a year on fuel from her last car so it pays its own way.