Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 30-08-2008

Default 501X diffs - do we glue the diff rings?

Hi guys, just a quick one. I'm running the 501X diff halves in my DB-01. Do I need to glue the diff rings to the diff halves? When I first built them, I just applied some thick grease to keep them there, and assumed the friction between them will always be more than the friction between the balls and diff rings. Now I'm not so sure because I'm having to tighten the diff quite a lot more than when I first built them to keep them from slipping and I'm not even sure what is slipping.
Old 30-08-2008

Yeah, you need to use some CA glue. If the diff loosens up quite a bit, then add a dab of threadlock in your next tuneup. When I rebuild my diff, I tend to tighten the diff completely, then back off about 1.25 turns. This has worked great in the setup I run. Some say this is a bit tight, but it suits my driving and no meltdowns yet. Play around with the tightening and turns from full. Start with a full turn back and do a good five minute run to see how it feels.
Old 30-08-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

on the 501X diff halves, I haven't glued them, I sit them on a thin bed of diff grease and it works fine
Old 30-08-2008

under no circumstances glue the rings you can never be sure they are seated correctly! This is why the team say the reason you use a thin smear of grease is to do just this. The reason your diff is not as it once was is the grease has become contaminated with either muck or bearing lube strip the diff back to kit and replace any worn parts and it will be as good as ever. Tamiya research everything they do to the n th degree so only arrogance will presume that there is a better way
Reedy
DJ KIRKY