Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 29-04-2009

Default Buying a Electirc buggy

Hi im planning on buying the Durga buggy
http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...iya-110-durga/

and i was wondering what parts do i need to get?
  • Radio: 2-Channel with servo(s)
  • Battery: 6-cell flat with standard Tamiya connector
  • Charger: AC/DC timed or peak for 6-cell battery
  • Paint: PS for polycarbonate
  • ESC: Electronic Speed Controller
the car ive chosen good ?
Old 30-04-2009

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

What are your intentions for it, general bashing about or racing? The Durga is capable of both. The recommendations below are fairly general, and aimed at reducing your long-term expense, with the side effect of increasing performance!

Instead of buying a 6-cell NiMh battery, I'd suggest you get a Lithium-based battery - you'll get a lot more runs out of it, and the charger appropriate to it won't be obsolete shortly (NiMh batteries are probably on borrowed time). A hard case Lipo costs a bit more than a NiMh, but you'll only need the one for a long time. You could also use a LiFePO4 type battery like this; they're excellent for bashing, as they don't have the safety concerns LiPos do if abused.

The same may go for the Electronic Speed Controller - you may be better off getting one capable of running brushless motors (there are some that run both brushed motors, like the included 540 with the Durga, and brushless) - again, brushless require less maintenance, perform better and last longer provided you don't overheat them.

Lastly, I've seen on these forums and elsewhere that a slipper clutch upgrade is a good idea for the Durga. I can't comment on this, perhaps a Durga driver could?
Old 30-04-2009

thanks for the reply

i would be just bashing around not that hard !!!

also which radio control would you recommend ?
Old 30-04-2009

Durga should come with ESC unless otherwise stated, and said ESC is good for up to 23t brushed motors (e.g. tamiya 'Super Stock TZ' {53696} 26500rpm @ 7.2v). concensus is you should replace rear diff' halves with those of the 501x if going above c.23t brushed / 4000kV brushless. be sure to get lipo compatible ESC if choosing lipo power!
Old 30-04-2009

look here: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23189
Old 30-04-2009

Arrow Durga Love...

Old 30-04-2009

oh ok.. i went a hobbie shop today and they had a dark impact brashless version for £190.. and im thinking of just buying that.. what you guys think ?
Old 30-04-2009

The DF-03 is not as good a car as the Durga (DB-01), racing wise, though should be just fine for bashing. A slipper is still a good idea, but the fact brushless is included should help keep your costs down if you are going high spec. I would suggest buying all of it from the same place at the same time if possible so you have the best chance haggling wise.

As far as radios go, what kind of radio are you after? Stick/Wheel? If you can afford it I'd look into a 2.4gHz system as they are easy to use (no crystals or interference to worry about). If they are a bit pricy then a good 40mHz FM radio would be next best. You can get decent 40mHz Futaba 3GR's or 3PM's with standard receivers for about £90 so are a steal really.
Old 01-05-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGEL.ONE View Post
Durga should come with ESC unless otherwise stated
None of mine (UK and imported) came with an ESC, which is a surefire sign of a "proper" racing kit . All you get is a silvercan 540 motor but god knows why because I don't think anybody ever uses them.
Old 01-05-2009

Yeah, maybe Tamiya should just leave out the silver can as i agree it really has no purpose whatsoever and nobody that i know uses it. It would also reduce the weight of the kit and in return save money on shipping costs to the consumer.
Old 01-05-2009

thanks for the replies

im not into the racing.. so i think the dark impact will be fine.. as i just want to drive it around in the background and on some roads/dirt.. thats all
Old 01-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
The DF-03 is not as good a car as the Durga (DB-01), racing wise, though should be just fine for bashing. A slipper is still a good idea, but the fact brushless is included should help keep your costs down if you are going high spec. I would suggest buying all of it from the same place at the same time if possible so you have the best chance haggling wise.

As far as radios go, what kind of radio are you after? Stick/Wheel? If you can afford it I'd look into a 2.4gHz system as they are easy to use (no crystals or interference to worry about). If they are a bit pricy then a good 40mHz FM radio would be next best. You can get decent 40mHz Futaba 3GR's or 3PM's with standard receivers for about £90 so are a steal really.
as for radio any good one would do, what about this one:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=28015
Acoms Technisport 2.4GHZ
Old 01-05-2009

Exclamation

DB01 vs. DF03MS
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13070
Old 01-05-2009

For just bashing, I'd be tempted to recommend something 2WD instead of 4WD - it's more fun when you can get the back end out easily

There are also some excellent RTR trucks around atm, like the Traxxas Slash (check out Youtube, you'll be amazed!), or Losi's Speed T and Desert Truck. They'll all work out less than a brushless Tamiya, due to the cost of the required radio.

Many people are going brushless using the Hobbywing EZRun systems, widely available on eBay - they give fantastic bang for the buck. You could still get the Durga (or Baldre, same car) and put an EZRun in it for about the cost of the brushless Dark Impact. It might require some solder work, though.
Old 01-05-2009

how fast is the durga stock ?
Old 01-05-2009

£35 will buy you a Tamiya '101' ESC and the Tamiya 'Super Stock TZ' (23t, 26500 @ 7.2v) motor which can be fitted and running in less than five minutes and is good for near on 30mph!
Old 01-05-2009

Tbh, there are plenty of folks virtually giving away their old brushed ESCs - I'd have a look around in the For Sale forum for one. It'll work with the 540 motor in the Durga.

Looking at eBay, you can see those Tamiya ESCs aren't worth a lot. Buying a new one burns £15 in value instantly.
Old 01-05-2009
Mad Member

whoops
Old 01-05-2009
Mad Member

The Durgas are ace cars, but I prefer the df03 for bashing. The car is still very fast and is ok to race, but the DF03 is more edgy and hence more fun for just pushing to the limit.

I have a 5.5t in mine and its a great car for ragging around over fields/ grassy parks etc.

My Durga and 501x are so smooth, there is no real challenge (obviously when racing its a different story, as the competition becomes the challenge)

i'd get a df03 (or df03ms) if you were going to spend most of your time larking about with maybe a little bit of racing. Otherwise get a db01 (durga / baldre) if you were going to race most of the time
Old 02-05-2009

yeah i i know for a fact that i wont be racing... and the one ive seen comes with the brushless system.. so it works out cheaper for me.. i just want to drive it thats all