Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 22-09-2009

I picked up one of these bad boys yesterday. Has to be the best value for money 4wd on the market.

Some more pics from Tamiya Japan web site:

Box

Chassis is molded for torch batteries, but Lipos fit snuggly enough

Buy the sweet Ti screw set so you can ditch the crappy phillips heads

Old 22-09-2009

Looks a great bit of kit ScottyP, the Ti-screws are nice. How much did the kit cost? Is it in B44 territory in term of price?
Old 22-09-2009

Quick couple of questions;

Does it come with the double slipper clutch (the slipper spring looks like its from that hop-up)?

Is that brushless motor in the kit? The reason I ask is because the normal DB-01 came with a motor.
Old 22-09-2009

Congratulations ScottyP. I also think that it´s best value for the money.

It´s has the 54018 "single" slipper clutch, not the double slipper (#54061)
Btw, The 511 also comes with the new spring, but the standard "single" slipper.

Brushless motor is not included in the DB01R kit.

Only options you might want to buy are the 501X outdrives ($30) and titanium screw set ($30). Of course a body shell as well.

I have ordered one + a Durga bodyshell.
Will not replace my 511, but really look forward to try the DB01 chassi.
With the new drive belts it will need very little maintenance.
Old 22-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5POINTSTAR View Post
Looks a great bit of kit ScottyP, the Ti-screws are nice. How much did the kit cost? Is it in B44 territory in term of price?
I got mine from RC Model in Hong Kong for USD$230. That's $100 less than B44
http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/product_i...ducts_id=15513

simoncook - yes, it comes with the optional slipper. No motor in the kit. In fact, it's much like a touring car in that you do not get wheels & tyres, or a body.

Apparently the body to use is the Baldre as there is a bit more room for electrics and it is better for cooling. I like the styling of the Durga better though. Will probably try both.

Cheers,
Scotty P.
Old 23-09-2009

Just my opinion but the Ti screw kit - and I speak from experience of the Tamiya one I used on my DB01 - is a total waste of money. The weight saving is negligible, even more so if you use lipo as you'll probably want to add weight anyway, and the screws feel horribly soft when you tighten them with an allen driver. After a few times removing the geartrain covers to change pinions (the real pain in the ass part of the DB01) mine were shot so I bought a replacement hex headed steel screw kit, loads better and less than a third of the price including shipping.
Old 23-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP View Post
Apparently the body to use is the Baldre as there is a bit more room for electrics and it is better for cooling. I like the styling of the Durga better though. Will probably try both.

Cheers,
Scotty P.
The Baldre body follows the line of the chassis better too so less crud gets thrown up inside. Shame it has looks that only a mother could love.
Old 23-09-2009

So do the b44 rims fit?
Old 23-09-2009

Does the kit come with the rest of the reinforced part sprues?
54033 Carbon Reinforced A Parts Diff Cover
54034 Carbon Reinforced D Parts Caster Block
54035 Carbon Reinforced L Parts Steering Arm

The baldre shell is great! it provides a much better fit around the sides and back of the car than the durga shell. It also seems to me that my car rolls right side up after rolling more often than when I was using the durga shell (when you spend as much time rolling as I do, you notice these things!) for me, the baldre shell is clearly the way to go.
Old 23-09-2009

falcon pwner: for a list of the hop-ups included within the DB01R click the link:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/picturefra...09134139_2.jpg

Old 23-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
So do the b44 rims fit?
Tons of rims fit.. I have used J-Concepts Rulux wheels and Losi XXX4 wheels with no problems..
Old 24-09-2009

rear rims can be found the same as most suppliers but having trouble finding non tamiya front rims (tamiya distributor dose not suply any trf parts or kits db01 are rear over in australia)
what front rims would you suggest
Old 24-09-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Losi front rims, for starters.
Old 24-09-2009

another brand local hobby shops don't supply
Old 24-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzy View Post
rear rims can be found the same as most suppliers but having trouble finding non tamiya front rims (tamiya distributor dose not suply any trf parts or kits db01 are rear over in australia)
what front rims would you suggest
These wheels are a direct fit to the DB-01. Both front and rear:

J-Concepts Rulux B44 Front - http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=218

J-Concepts Rulux B4 Rear - http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=217

Losi 1/10 4WD Buggy Front Wheel - http://www.losi.com/Search/Default.a...hTerm=240_Dish

Losi 1/10 Buggy Rear Wheel - http://www.losi.com/Search/Default.a...hTerm=260_Dish

I have been using these wheels at my local track for over a year.

I have my eye on the new Brama wheels made by HPI for their 1/10 4WD, but 12mm wheel adapters (Tobee etc) will be needed to fit them to the DB-01. - http://www.hpiracing.com/kitoptions/10791/
Old 08-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

So has anyone run theirs yet? Does it gave the droop problem that the standard db01's have with the trf dampers?
Old 09-10-2009

The only parts that my DB01 lacks in making it an 'R' Version are as follows: Reinforced drive belts, Motor heat sink, and i guess the newer chassis as well, but other than that, I could soon start calling mine the 'R' version of the almighty Durga. As far as the new belts go, i'm not sure why Tamiya felt the need to reinforce them, as mine have never had problems for the 2 years or so of using it with low turn brushless motors. Well i guess this kit is just another example of parts that you can already get and add to the original version of whichever car it may be and then giving it a new name. Nothing against the kit though, I think it looks pretty bad ass and gives you the convenience of having everything all in one box, unless of course you already owned the DB01 then it would be quite pointless to purchase. I wonder what the price of it is, but I'm not even gonna ask since it's probably already in this thread or a couple of clicks and types away on google. I gotta see those new belts as well while I'm at it.
Old 10-10-2009

Send a message via AIM to AaronR

The new belts are a HUGE improvement! I used to get 25 or so 5-minute runs on my old belts in my 501X. I use the new belts in my 511 and likely have 75+ and they still appear to be in good shape.

Sure, my 501 was 110 grams heavier than my current 511, so belt wear shoud be more in a heavier car but I feel Tamiya found/made a really nice belt for the DB01/511 series.
Old 11-10-2009

When you bought new belts Aaron did you also replace your pulleys with new also. Or do you think it would hurt the old pulleys?
I have over 50 5 min runs on my 501x WCE and the stock belts are still in good shape.
You guys must be stretching your belts tighter than I am if your snapping them.
A friend of mine ran his belts loose and put 40 runs on it before he sold it, and he wasnt even the original owner either.
I guess everybody is having a different experience.
I plan on getting the new belts eventually, but people have said to me if it isnt broke dont fix it.
Old 12-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Will saddle lipo's fit, is there any extra length over and above the amount needed for the stick lipo's?

Also, are the atomic towers needed or is the droop not a problem?