Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 15-11-2009
Mad Member

Smile Who's getting one?

There's been rumers running round the net for a while but this is from Tamiya USA:

RC Sand Scorcher (2010) - 4WD Off-Road Racer
Item #58452

The 4wd bit is a typo but I'm getting my name down for one thats for sure, possibly two. I gotta get one to race

Clown
Old 19-11-2009

Seems like Tamiya corrected the typo... For the longest time, it was stated as a 4wd!!!

I'm actually waiting for my tricked out buggy champ that's coming in the mail...

I'm one of the few that's not that into the VW Beetle body... But it's kinda nice to have another SC/RR re-re chassis out to further lengthen their parts support!
Old 25-12-2009

I like it, maybe maybe not...
Old 27-12-2009

I might as I want a few 2wd buggys to add to my collection.
Old 07-01-2010

I have decided to get one. After all it's my 30th birthday in Feb so it only
makes sense. I wasnt even born in 1979, I wasnt alive til 1980.
But yet this kit is the holy grail of tamiya RC's, so the people who want one can buy it now and not have to surf ebay.
Jimmy I suggest you get one as well and review it.
Old 07-01-2010

Default got one of the originals

Don't need one o
f these as i have one of the originals from 30 years ago with everythin acoms techniplus and the original box,spares and left over items from building the kit,.even have in the same condition the original cheetah and rough rider from 30 years ago(none for sale).Iguess the second hand price has just plumeted due to the re-release,thanks tamiya.
Old 08-01-2010

Why is it so bad that Tamiya re-released a classic.
I think it's great!
Old 08-01-2010

Sorry to sound a bit negative on this one but I bought a 'rough rider' about a month ago which was released (originally) about the same time as the 'sand scorcher' 30+ years ago. I was very excited about it and and took a lot of care and attention over building and painting it and when I took it for it's first spin I was deeply disappointed, it was hopeless!! I fitted a 15t motor and bought an upgraded ESC to take the extra power and I could hardly keep it in a straight line. There is no diff as the back wheels are locked so the slightest of wheel spin sees the back wheels over taking the front. That and the fact that I broke it on the second battery I put throught it means that I'm unlikely to use it again. I took it down to Batley buggy club out door track, went over a few (very minor may I add) jumps and broke the suspension arm!! If you look on 'youtube' there are quite a few adverts and videos from when they first got released. Both the sand scorcher and rough rider racing round in the sand together. If anyone wants my rough rider then feel free to make me an offer, it is quite literaly brand new with about 8 mins of running time. Just order the suspension arm and your away!! (cos I sure as hell won't be using it again!!) Send me a message if your interested.

Gav
Old 08-01-2010

I was thinking it would be a fun car to run in the snow or mud.
It has a sealed electronics box? I wasnt thinking about racing it at all.
I need a buggy to play around with, as it looks like a mud/sand buggy.
I wasnt even thinking about running a super fast motor in it, because
that's really not what it was designed for. Howd you break it? It's practically all metal...:/
I never break my cars anymore and I bash hard sometimes, I guess people have a different experience than I would have.
I've ran the tar outa my blackfoot xtreme in the snow these past two days. That's mainly what I bought it for.
I waterproofed everything and it never skipped a beat in the snow.
Old 08-01-2010

Hi mate, yeah I was wanting it as a fun car too but just found driving it a bit rubbish and not very satisfying! The model shop said it would take a 15t motor so that's what I put in.

The suspension arm is metal but it's 'cast' metal which is very soft. I wasn't even pushing it that hard either before it just...well...snapped off!

Although the waterproof electrics housing is a good touch I must admit.

I still want to get rid of it though!!!
Old 08-01-2010

how much??
Old 08-01-2010

Am open to offers if your interested?
Old 09-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by B44&501xRacerEX View Post
I was thinking it would be a fun car to run in the snow or mud.
It has a sealed electronics box? I wasnt thinking about racing it at all.
I need a buggy to play around with, as it looks like a mud/sand buggy.
I wasnt even thinking about running a super fast motor in it, because
that's really not what it was designed for. Howd you break it? It's practically all metal...:/
I never break my cars anymore and I bash hard sometimes, I guess people have a different experience than I would have.
I've ran the tar outa my blackfoot xtreme in the snow these past two days. That's mainly what I bought it for.
I waterproofed everything and it never skipped a beat in the snow.
Hey B-Mag, can we get an updated picture of you? Please, pretty please? I'll post a pic of me if that makes you feel more comfortable.
Old 09-01-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Sorry to sound a bit negative on this one but I bought a 'rough rider' about a month ago which was released (originally) about the same time as the 'sand scorcher' 30+ years ago. I was very excited about it and and took a lot of care and attention over building and painting it and when I took it for it's first spin I was deeply disappointed, it was hopeless!! I fitted a 15t motor and bought an upgraded ESC to take the extra power and I could hardly keep it in a straight line. There is no diff as the back wheels are locked so the slightest of wheel spin sees the back wheels over taking the front. That and the fact that I broke it on the second battery I put throught it means that I'm unlikely to use it again. I took it down to Batley buggy club out door track, went over a few (very minor may I add) jumps and broke the suspension arm!! If you look on 'youtube' there are quite a few adverts and videos from when they first got released. Both the sand scorcher and rough rider racing round in the sand together. If anyone wants my rough rider then feel free to make me an offer, it is quite literaly brand new with about 8 mins of running time. Just order the suspension arm and your away!! (cos I sure as hell won't be using it again!!) Send me a message if your interested.

Gav

Oh heck matey, you didn't believe the hype did you? There's always been plenty of gen out on the 'net that should lead anyone to the conclusion that dynamically the SRB cars (RR, Scorcher, Ranger, S/Champ) are comprehensively outclassed by most things - probably even them £30 RTR's from Asda. They are more for the nostalgia experience really (and for those of us to skint to afford the silly prices people asked for originals on ebay up until last year).
Old 09-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolio View Post
Oh heck matey, you didn't believe the hype did you? .
Yep, hook-line and sinker!

I think "I" would outclass the rough rider if I strapped little wheels to my arms and feet

Might keep it for 30 yrs or so if nobody buys it from me and sell it for a ridiculous amount (might get my money back that way)