Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 01-10-2012

Default Cougar SVR

Hey guy's.

A mate has pulled my leg to get in to 1:10 club racing.

Think i'm going for a Cougar SVR.

I'm a Nitro man so this would be my 1st electric buggy. I currently own an 808.

I need some help with choosing
  • Motor
  • Servo
  • ESC
  • Motor Pinion
  • Lipo
  • Charger
I dont have a massive budget but would like to get somthing to get me going
Old 01-10-2012
Mad Member

What surface are you going to be racing? If its Astro/carpet, then a mid motor buggy might be a better option. For dirt, rear motor all the way.
Old 01-10-2012

It could be a mixture of both, as they race indoors in winter and outdoors in summer.

I have also been looking at the Losi 22 RTR, i guess i would only need some lipos and a charger then?
Old 01-10-2012
Mad Member

Losi 22 and Durango DEX210 can be converted between mid motor and rear motor without buying a conversion. The 210 is due to be released in RTR flavour very shortly but as with most RTR's, the electrics are aimed at the 'sportsman' class.
Old 01-10-2012

Which one would you choose if you had the choice, the Losi 22 or the Durango DEX210?

I understand the electrics wont be the best but i guess it would get me going, to make sure i like it. I can always upgrade i guess
Old 01-10-2012

Durango, As a lot of people have said that the 22 Can be tricky to set up
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0p3d0g View Post
Which one would you choose if you had the choice, the Losi 22 or the Durango DEX210?

I understand the electrics wont be the best but i guess it would get me going, to make sure i like it. I can always upgrade i guess
I presume you have been racing a decent amount of time and know how to drive? Trouble is the electrics on the ready to run cars would make your experience unenjoyable because if you are any good you will be beyond your equipment. The electrics are aimed at novice/beginner end!

You can easily find good 2nd hand electric for a reasonable price posted on here, theres stuff everyday. (Am actually going to put some stuff on myself when i get round to it)

Car wise I have just sold my 210. I would highly recomend it however for your position. It is cheap and great out of box in kit standard. You can buy extras for it but like you said to just give it a go you will be fine. They are easy to drive, easy to set up and forgiving. I have just got myself a Losi 22 but from good mates running the cars they can be a pain and hard to set up to your own liking. So out the 2 id say 210. Not saying you wouldnt be okay with a 22 just IMO not as safe option, sure plenty might disagree with me

Hope that helps
Old 01-10-2012

Nope i'm new to racing, apart from having a bit of fun with mates.

I'm not new to R/C cars, I have owned a fair few Nitros.

I would prefer it to be new as its going to be an Xmas present. I would quite like to build the kit as to be familiar with the car.

Apart from radio gear i would probably have a budget of about £400 ish for the car and electrics, Would this be possible?

I have no clue to electric cars so i'm going to be really thick as to what to buy.
Old 01-10-2012

Quote:
Nope i'm new to racing, apart from having a bit of fun with mates.

I'm not new to R/C cars, I have owned a fair few Nitros.

I would prefer it to be new as its going to be an Xmas present. I would quite like to build the kit as to be familiar with the car.

Apart from radio gear i would probably have a budget of about £400 ish for the car and electrics, Would this be possible?

I have no clue to electric cars so i'm going to be really thick as to what to buy.
Arrhhh Okay sorry I thought you were a nitro racer coming to electric. okay well yeah budget electrics to a certain extent would make total sense. If you wanted a kit like i have said the Durango 210 would be great but so would the losi and they are similarly priced. Both good starting point and if you really get into it both have room to buy little improvements here and there. The Losi kit looks a lot nicer imo. But tbh for beginner level any good kit will be fine

Have you got a local model shop? Still think in this day and age going into a shop and speaking to someone in the know is great. They usually have some deals on the go especially building up to Christmas. Is there a club you are due to go to? Why not pop down and see what the locals are running? Seeing what is popular can be great as if you get similar you can get help and advice.

You mentioned the SVR. Have you looked at the SV2? The mid motor Schumacher. My ex local club used to race on sports hall floor and after a round of qualifying and the grip had come up the mid cars were totally fine. Some used to just run some extra weight on the back.

But I think you could definatly get a package together for £400 with a bit of research and some smart buying
Old 01-10-2012

I'm not sure if i have a shop that deals with Cars, but i am popping to a club with a mate on Thurdsday. I hav been thinking of looking out for a kit that i can convert to both mid and rear mounted as it will be indoors in winter and outdoors in summer.

I really like the look of the Schumacher cars, they look good quality.

I'm really confused with what to look for with electrics as there is so much choice. I am going to go with my Spectrum DX3S and probably a Savox servo as i like these.

As for motor ESC and Lipo's its all over my head, including what pinion gears i would need to choose
Old 01-10-2012

Quote:
I'm not sure if i have a shop that deals with Cars, but i am popping to a club with a mate on Thurdsday. I hav been thinking of looking out for a kit that i can convert to both mid and rear mounted as it will be indoors in winter and outdoors in summer.

I really like the look of the Schumacher cars, they look good quality.

I'm really confused with what to look for with electrics as there is so much choice. I am going to go with my Spectrum DX3S and probably a Savox servo as i like these.

As for motor ESC and Lipo's its all over my head, including what pinion gears i would need to choose
Well that radio and servo choice seem all good

From your position I really don't think changing from mid to rear is going to be an issue. If you are new to racing I honestly don't think it is going to make any difference. Like I said I raced on slippy floor indoors only up to a couple of months ago (relocated down south) and mid was still just as quick if not quicker than the rears. If you like the look of the schumachers id say SV2 purly because you will meet more people with them rather than SVR and I think starting out, getting help and advice is the most important thing. But like i say its just my opinion.

There is a lot of different choices electrics wise but if you look at the prices you can see how they compare. You know if anything is dirt cheap it is for a reason the same as if something is VERY expensive. Id recommend somewhere in between. Just do some research and I think once you see what people are racing at the club you are visiting it will make more sense
Old 01-10-2012

Thanks for taking the time to advise me

So far i have been looking at these:-

Schumacher SV2/SVR
SAVOX SC-1258 (high speed type)

Is the Losi Xcelorin S 6.5T a good choice to get me going?

What do i look for with lipo?
Old 01-10-2012

Id say for anyone a 6.5 is very fast for a 2wd buggy. Even some of the best run 7.5 turns and for a beginner Id say far too fast. I mean depends how much experience you have with rc cars but with a motor that quick you could just break stuff on your car every run. But as far as I know the losi stuff is very good.

I will leave it to someone else to advice on electrics. I usually go to my model shop or speak to good mates and say whats the best and get that lol. Although even though the last pair of lipos cost me £90 each but two years on they are still VERY good and feel just as good as when I first got them. But yeah think someone else could take over now.

Which club are you going to thursday night?

And you're welcome happy to help
Old 02-10-2012

forget a 6.5 for indoors, car would be like a missile, a slower motor will make the car much easier to drive and give you quicker lap times overall than you would get if you are fighting the car all the time. look at around an 8.5 for indoors, even with that you can gear it up outdoors and it will be quick. have a look in a couple of magazines as to what top drivers are using in 2wd, most will be 7.5 or 8.5 turn. personally have a 10.5 in my 2wd, nice, smooth and easy to drive, far less mistakes and still quick down the straight, not the fastest but then i am not the best driver.
Old 02-10-2012

I've just started racing with a second hand Cougar SV. I went for a speedpassion motor as I liked the fact that they are all fitted with connectors so I can change motor very easilly, with no soldering etc.
At the moment I've got an 8.5 turn and that seems plenty fast enough for a beginner like me. I'm hoping to drop to a 7.5 turn at some point but probably not for a few months. Using the SP motors makes that an easy thing to do at the track if I want to.
Pinion size will depend on the motor so pick that first.

As for LIPOs I went with some 4000mAh Core RC ones from the Schumachacer website and they seem fine for about £40 iirc. I imagine a more expensive set would be better but I'm hardly using full throttle yet so it doesn't seem worthwhile paying top-dollar for something like an Orion 90C LIPO just yet.

One thing to look out for is if you need saddle pack LIPOs. I think most (if not all?) SV2s use saddle packs and my SV has been converted to use them too. They seem quite popular with mid-motors but I'm not experienced enough to comment too much on that. Just make sure you don't buy the wrong type.

Wingers
Old 02-10-2012

I'm wanting to join the Furness model car club, A mate who i'm sure is a member on here.

I'm not sure if this is a sill question but what is the difference between the SVR and SV2 apart from one is mid motor configuration & the other is rear?

Are there any resources here online that anyone knows of so i can re-search on different types of motors, pinions ect. . . Just to avoid the imbarasing questions
Old 02-10-2012

The pinion size will be determined by the motor turns, driving style, motor temperature and track.

Smaller pinion
• Quicker acceleration
• For tight and technical tracks
• Cooler motor temperatures
• Slower top end

Bigger pinion
• Faster top end
• Slower acceleration but smoother
• For wide and fast flowing tracks
• Cooler motor temperatures
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 02-10-2012

I have been looking at the speed passionv3 8.5T and esc combo, dose that sound good?
Old 02-10-2012

Default Electrics

Hi mate I came back to rc racing after 16 years away, and so much has changed I bought a speed passion esc of here cheap n a new speed passion sportsman 7.5 motor from modelsport for 36 pounds to start Of So apart from my motor everything else was bought from here and I'm running a Schumacher cat sx . Hope it helps