Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 16-10-2014

Default Handset Choice/Price?

When I got my first car several weeks ago I bought the Spektrum DX4C wheeled handset, which came with an extra receiver which has since been put into my sct I recently got.

As you know handsets can be VERY expensive but what I am unsure about is what would say a more expensive handset do that my current one doesn't and do they actually make the car feel or handle any different? Just thinking ahead for when I get another car(s) do I need to pay more for a different handset than my current one and if so why?
cheers
Old 16-10-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

If you are racing, the minimum you want to be able to do is model memories, end point adjustment (EPA), servo throw and ideally exponential, that would be the minimum. As you are already Spektrum, take a look at the DX4S if you want a wheel radion.
Old 16-10-2014
Mad Member

TBH, as long as it does all (or most) of the things DCM has identified, you'll be fine with any radio.
The more you spend the more you'll be able to adjust and the more reliable/faster it's likely to be, though you are unlikely to be able to tell the difference between fast (which is what most modern 2.4GHz adios are) and REALLY fast (expensive modern 2.4GHz radios).

The only significant noticeable difference between the DX3C i had and the DX3R Pro i now have is that the trigger sits slightly closer to the hand grip. It does everything else in pretty much the same way, and has a few spangly toys.
But for driving a buggy round the track, i should really have stayed with the DX3C!

You've already got a good radio, so going to an expensive one will probably gain you less than using the money going to a faster servo or better ESC.

Oh, and reading the manual to find out what it can actually do is worthwhile.
Old 16-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
If you are racing, the minimum you want to be able to do is model memories, end point adjustment (EPA), servo throw and ideally exponential, that would be the minimum. As you are already Spektrum, take a look at the DX4S if you want a wheel radion.
thanks for that, although its over my head tbh, being a newbie I need to know what most of the above mean/do etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
TBH, as long as it does all (or most) of the things DCM has identified, you'll be fine with any radio.
The more you spend the more you'll be able to adjust and the more reliable/faster it's likely to be, though you are unlikely to be able to tell the difference between fast (which is what most modern 2.4GHz adios are) and REALLY fast (expensive modern 2.4GHz radios).

The only significant noticeable difference between the DX3C i had and the DX3R Pro i now have is that the trigger sits slightly closer to the hand grip. It does everything else in pretty much the same way, and has a few spangly toys.
But for driving a buggy round the track, i should really have stayed with the DX3C!

You've already got a good radio, so going to an expensive one will probably gain you less than using the money going to a faster servo or better ESC.

Oh, and reading the manual to find out what it can actually do is worthwhile.
I must admit, the Instruction book still needs a read so that's the next job then I might learn a little cheers
Old 16-10-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

EPA stops excess servo throw, reducing the strain on the servo and the steering components. Servo throw you can then turn down to reduce the overall steering lock during a run. It can also be used to turn up/down the brakes. They are really the basics you will need to allow proper setup of the car.

Model Memory allows you to program the radio for X amount of cars.

As you got the Spektrum receivers already, it would make sense to go that route. You can get a fully functioning radio off eBay for £40 with all above settings and receviers are £10 each but it does feel cheap and tacky compared to the Spektrum. We have both types in the house and they are both very reliable.
Old 16-10-2014

What you have is fine. You are using a system that is extensive with lots of support so can upgrade to a better handset when you get better.

When you are learning you cannot tell the difference between a basic rtr handset and a top of the line - well I couldn't. As long as it fits your hand and is functional you are fine. When you get better and more competitive you can try a better handset and you will notice a faster response. I just upgraded from a mid range to a top radio and immediately noticed a faster response from the servos and acceleration, so much so I have had to readjust my own driving but I have no doubt that 2 years ago I would not have noticed.
Old 17-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
EPA stops excess servo throw, reducing the strain on the servo and the steering components. Servo throw you can then turn down to reduce the overall steering lock during a run. It can also be used to turn up/down the brakes. They are really the basics you will need to allow proper setup of the car.

Model Memory allows you to program the radio for X amount of cars.

As you got the Spektrum receivers already, it would make sense to go that route. You can get a fully functioning radio off eBay for £40 with all above settings and receviers are £10 each but it does feel cheap and tacky compared to the Spektrum. We have both types in the house and they are both very reliable.
cheers pal, informative thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
What you have is fine. You are using a system that is extensive with lots of support so can upgrade to a better handset when you get better.

When you are learning you cannot tell the difference between a basic rtr handset and a top of the line - well I couldn't. As long as it fits your hand and is functional you are fine. When you get better and more competitive you can try a better handset and you will notice a faster response. I just upgraded from a mid range to a top radio and immediately noticed a faster response from the servos and acceleration, so much so I have had to readjust my own driving but I have no doubt that 2 years ago I would not have noticed.
can't argue matey thank you
Old 17-10-2014

I started back in May 14 with the top Absima handset, then I kept that at home for VRC and got the Spectrum DX4S for racing. I couldn't feel the difference.

Then by chance I picked up a Sanwa MT4 (Bit more expensive new) The difference was VERY noticeable: I dropped approx a second off of all my VRC times AND my racing times. Even as a relative newby I found I could instantly feel the difference using a more high spec system. I'd describe it as more precise like there are more steps in the steering allowing you to make smaller adjustments in the steering easily. Definitely worth investing in the best radio gear you can afford.