Old 09-07-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suggy007 View Post
I was talking about the 4 slot tin can g2 motors
written by Karl Dransfield on another forum

Quote:
Running in a G2
The idea of running in a motor is to ensure that the designed tolerances are achieved before bringing the motor up to race speed. In particular the brushes.
What you are aiming for to achieve a fast g2 motor is well seated brushes.
If the bushes have a smoother finish inside then this will give a low friction surface for the comm. to rotate around.
On a new G2 motor the brushes are only in contact with the comm. over a small area at each corner of the brush. They are made like this so that each brush can find its optimal seating position. Better electrical connection is achieved when the brushes are worn down to the extent that the entire brush is in contact with the comm. The brushes on the G2 motors are very hard wearing. Pretty much every time anyone has complained about having a slow g2 I have had a look at the brushes and they are not run in. I have had occasions where a motor has had hours of running and the brushes have experienced little or no signs of wear.
To overcome this I run my motors in on the bench at 3 volts with wd40 on the comm. until the brushes are seated correctly. This can sometimes take up to an hour so not a job for the track. It is also wise to use a cooling fan to keep the motor cool as heat will have a negative effect on the strength of the magnets.

Keep it clean
I have seen many cases of motors clogged with carpet and dirt. This will definitely slow your motor down and make it get hot. After meetings and sometimes during, it is wise to blast your motor out with brake cleaner and then compressed air. Once this is done, oil the bushes and it is ready to be run again.
As the brushes wear, the comm. will become coated in the carbon that has been worn off the brush. This creates a high friction surface. So in between runs once the motor has cooled, get a cotton bud coated in brake cleaner, rotate the motor clockwise and press the cotton bud onto the comm. Repeat this until a fresh cotton bud comes out of the motor clean.
Once the motor is clean, just before your run, spray a small amount of wd40 onto the comm. and rotate the back wheels by hand. Do not rev the motor. Put the car on the track and for the first 2 laps or so, do not use more than half throttle as any more than half throttle will cause the motor to arc and burn off the wd40. When you are ready to start your run, you will notice a significant increase in power as a low friction film will have been created between the brushes and the comm.
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 09-07-2011

cheers thats the info i was looking for