Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 12-05-2008

Thumbs up 5-link B4

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0261 (Medium).jpg (33.3 KB, 676 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0262 (Medium).jpg (39.6 KB, 684 views)
Old 12-05-2008
Lee-Mag

Very cool.

How is the shock mounted at the bottom? and also is this just to give it infinate toe in adjustment?

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 12-05-2008
Administrator

awesome!
Old 12-05-2008
#1 ZX5 fan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-link_suspension

I've never really understood the benefits and not sure I'm any the wiser from the above article. Does look nice though!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 12-05-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

That is awsome!

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 12-05-2008
Super Moderator

Did you not hear me talking to Tom about this at the weekend?

G
Old 12-05-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I would be worried about poping one of the 28 ballstuds off.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 12-05-2008

Send a message via ICQ to CAClark Send a message via MSN to CAClark

B4 Avante stylee, looks pretty cool.
Old 12-05-2008
#1 ZX5 fan

No, well not that I remember. I remember the quiz qeuestion though

Nortech is ACE!
Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

cool idea but how will that look with the bodyshell on
Old 12-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Very cool.

How is the shock mounted at the bottom?
In a more mechanically sound way than on the JRX-2 It's mounted to the bottom forward link. Figuring out a way to mount the shock properly was 95% of the work.... (the other 4,99% was making sure it didn't pop off landing the first jump)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
and also is this just to give it infinate toe in adjustment?
Well it's got infinite adjustment of... ... basically anything A 5-link is suspension nirvana.

It seems to be crash-proof as well. But I'm no expert in that matter...
Old 13-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
I would be worried about poping one of the 28 ballstuds off.

A

Only 22 for the rear suspension 32 for the whole car...
Old 13-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Its an impressive piece of work.

But don't take offense, I can't see the point, yet. Have you done it for performance or for own curiosity?
Old 13-05-2008

I think its a car only him or Jim Dixon will ever understand fully

It does look good tho. As Chris says, what's the theory behind it other than infinitely adjustable?
Old 13-05-2008

good idea but looks over complicated to get it setup right
Old 14-05-2008
Mad Member

If I understood the wikipedia-article correctly, it is quite easy to tune a car with this kind of suspension, as changing one aspect of the tuning, doesn't affect other aspects.
Also, camber and caster are much more stable. When a car lands from a jump, or rolls in a corner, with a conventional suspension the camber-angle will change, but not with this type of suspension, so it is much more consistant and the suspension can move more freely.

(source: wikipedia)
On this picture you can see that movement of the wheel does not affect the angles.

Drawside is the more complex build ... and you have more parts to maintain, or that can fail.
... and according to the wikipedia-article, a swaybar is needed to control (slow down) the chassis rolling.

... So all Elvo has to do now, after testing this suspension, is building it also into his S2.
Next thing you know, conversion kits are sold lol
Old 14-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Its an impressive piece of work.

But don't take offense, I can't see the point, yet. Have you done it for performance or for own curiosity?

For both!
The point is this: I've always found anti-squat to be a huge compromise. Very little anti-squat is good for accellerating through bumps and sideways traction, but lots of antisquat is good for absorbing bumps off-power, and on-power traction. And it's a fixed value; you set it, and you're stuck with it.
With a 5-link suspension, the two forward links allow the same kind of flexibility and tunability for anti-squat as you have now for roll centre, it's almost limitless. Anti-squat varies throughout wheel travel. That, and you can make the rear wheels move back in bump. I've always wanted to test that, but with A-arms, you'd have to use a massive amount of anti-squat (like the AERO, possibly more), but then the shocks don't work properly anymore...
Old 14-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Is there a name for each link so they can be identified?

if the two on each side (drag link upper and lower?) are unequal length, then that would mean antisquat could increase or decrease through suspension travel, same as if the 2 links were not mounted parallel.

Then with the lower two wishbone links on each side, if these are unequal in length, or not mounted parallel, then the toe in will increase or decrease through suspension travel.

Then the top link, we all know what that does, camber change through suspension travel.

Then beyond that, with the movement of one factor, means other tie rods are twisting and so other factors become changeable through suspension travel even if not intended to be.

But with all this, id be completely lost. On paper it may mean a perfect setup can be acheived, but do we live long enough to find it practically? Seriously though.

On that animated picture above, links don't look to remain static in length through the animation, or is that just me?

Will you be running something like this at Belgium? I am intrigued by this, and impressed with your engineering and bravery mate.

Chris
Old 14-05-2008

Quote:
Is there a name for each link so they can be identified?
Probably, just use words like forward, side, rear,.. etc.

Quote:
if the two on each side (drag link upper and lower?) are unequal length, then that would mean antisquat could increase or decrease through suspension travel, same as if the 2 links were not mounted parallel.
Anti-squat decreases in bump regardless of link length being unequal or not. It's the same as with roll centres: they shift as the car leans in turns, if you change link positions, they just shift a little more or a little less, or earlier or later, or further or... you know.
Quote:
Then with the lower two wishbone links on each side, if these are unequal in length, or not mounted parallel, then the toe in will increase or decrease through suspension travel.
Indeed. Decreasing toe during compression is bad, I know that from previous experiments. Don't know about the opposite. This is also called 'roll steer', and it's generally regarded as a very, very bad thing, either way. But I kept the B4 geometry for those.
Quote:
Then the top link, we all know what that does, camber change through suspension travel.

Then beyond that, with the movement of one factor, means other tie rods are twisting and so other factors become changeable through suspension travel even if not intended to be.
The forward and side links are close to perpendicular (on my car, not in the wiki animation), so they don't influence each other too much. It was hard getting the top side link parallel to the 'wishbone' link, because it's far from it on a standard B4. The spur is in the way.

Quote:
But with all this, id be completely lost. On paper it may mean a perfect setup can be acheived, but do we live long enough to find it practically? Seriously though.
There aren't that many options really. I kept the B4 geometry (which is good) and just added side links. And because the shock attaches to the lower side link and I didn't want to have to make a new shock tower or use a different shock length, the pickup points and length of that link were more or less determined as well. And the top side link had to be about the same length. In the end, there are not many variables left.
Quote:

Will you be running something like this at Belgium? I am intrigued by this, and impressed with your engineering and bravery mate.
Running the 5-link at the GP? There's a fine line between bravery and foolishness! Let's say I don't know which side I'm on yet :-) Going from a nice mid-motor car back to B4, now that's foolishness, so I'd have to make a 5-link for the S2. But the S2 has the shocks behind the CVD's, so the shocks would have to attach to the rearmost lower 'wishbone' link instead of the side (drag) link. And that means it won't have the B4 shock geometry :-/
Old 14-05-2008

wouldnt mind seeing a bit more, with the wheels off