Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 16-05-2011

Default 2wd 1/10th buggy

Hey fellas,

Before I start, is there a 1/10th off road/buggy section?
I couldn't see one.

So, I am after a 1/10th buggy for racing but can't decide on one right now.

The track it is going on at the moment is gravel with a couple of loamy bits, it's only a small track and not technical nor fast.
This is in time supposed to be changed to a clay pad which a new track will be built upon, most likely something a little more technical.

I am not new to the hobby (been at it a couple of years now) but havn't really raced before.

The kits I am looking at are;
Tamiya DN01/TRF201
Losi XXX CR (I have quite a few spares for the XXX T, should have some to cross over)
Losi 22
TQ Racing SX10 Pro
Schumacher Cougar SV

For some reason the AE B4/B4.1 does not really interest me at all.

Any others I should look at?

As for the above, could anyone possible comment on their reliability, durability, tunability, how easy they are to work on?
As for parts availability, as long as they can easily be found online, that's good enough.

I would appreciate any replies.
Old 16-05-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Most popular atm seem to be:

Losi 22
Cougar SV
Kyosho RB5
RC10B4.1

or a conversion of some sort from all those!

Vega B4/RB5/Tamiya
X6
C4.1
Old 16-05-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

I run an X6, as I had a B4FT, and wanted to try Mid-Motor.
I love my X6, very strong, reliable, easy to work on etc. Doesnt seem too popular at national level anymore, but still there/thereabouts at regioanl and club.

You could also convert from a B4 to a Mid-motor Vega, or C4.1 as well.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Old 16-05-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Hey fellas,

Before I start, is there a 1/10th off road/buggy section?
I couldn't see one.

That would be just about the whole site
Old 16-05-2011
oOple Journalist

Arrow x6 etc

I agree with Marks posts...the x6 is wonderful. The 22 is still in its early days so getting strong feedback at the moment is difficult. Most top lads who are running 2wd are using mid motor configs these days...although you can still see the old motor on arse models doing well.

Vega is raved about for build quality at the moment but as previously mentioned, the x6 is great and extremely forgiving on those mistakes we all make...there is also loads of set-up advice and general tips available for x6 on the xfactory section of oople. You can get feedback and comments on problems from the lads at xfactory directly which is brilliant in terms of support with your car.

Since the x6 squared came about (the latest model) the car is strong and easy to build....check them out here http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

Happy buggy hunting

Check out my trader feedback here - http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65776
Old 16-05-2011

Cheers fellas.

I agree the 22 is still a bit new, one bloke at the track recently got one, havnt seen it run though.

I don't mind converting a buggy to mid motor but don't really want to pay the price for the conversion (seems to cost nearly as much as the buggy in the first place).

I quite like the TRF201, but seems parts are harder to find for them (although my LHS sells Tamiya parts last time I was in, very expensive though).

Hmm, I forgot about the Kyosho, I quite like that one also.

I have found a Cougar SV Pro with a bunch of spares on ebay for about AU$260 delivered that I think may be a good deal

If I remember rightly, I read something a little while back about the gears not holding up?
Is this true or is there some other fault with them?
Does anyone know what size stick pack lipo fit in these, I already have a couple and would like to use them.

Also, could anyone elaborate more on the handling differences between mid motor and rear motor?
I got the gist of the differences but would like to hear from people who have driven both, and which type is generally better for a certain surface.

I have only driven a 2wd Stadium truck with the motor at the rear (Losi Desert Truck) which I have only just gotten setup for our track (we have only been at it for a couple of months now), just needs more suitable tyres.
Only recently I got a Mugen MBX5T which I have converted to brushless (just waiting on the ESC to arrive), this is just for fun though.

@JohnM;
Haha, righto, thought there was something odd about it.

Cheers.
Old 16-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

RB5-SP2, super strong, super reliable and everything you need is in the box. Job done!
Old 13-07-2011

Well a bit of a thread bump but still relevant...

I've been holding off for a while, not really in a rush and have decided on a couple of things I would like...

Mid motor
Stick pack capable
Gear diff

The only one that I know of that is a mid motor and has a gear diff is the Losi 22, which can't take a normal stick pack sized lipo.

So, that leaves the Cougar, X6, TC/TQ/Ansmann.
Thats for popular ones anyway, I don't want anything with a conversion that costs the same/more than the original kit and spares that are near impossible to get.

Am I missing any?

At the moment I am leaning towards the X6 Squared, can be bought used cheaply and has plenty of spares (cheap too), and cheap to setup.

The Cougar isn't much behind it and the main things holding me back on it is the cost of springs for the shocks ($40 for each end vs $10 for the AE springs) and that there seems to be quite a few for sale (is there a reason for this?).

I suppose the XXX CR PSI would be alright aswell (wouldnt mind something different from losi, already have 2 Losi ST's).

I apologize if I am just rehashing over it all again, I've just decided more on what I would like, before I had no idea really.
Old 13-07-2011
oOple Advertiser

The only downside from your list for the X6 Squared (and applies to the Cougar) is thyat a gear diff is not available for either of them.

However we did breifly test some theories and look at some gear diffs many months ago in the X6 and VERY quickly went straight back to the ball diff idea......
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 22-07-2011

Yeah, thats really all I had against it.

What did youse find with the gear diffs? how come you didnt like them?

Anyways, I just bought an X6 Sq, just waiting on it to arrive.
Got it for AU$242 delivered with a bunch of spares and pretty much all the tuning bits (AE and X-factory stuff), kyosho velvet shocks and a few sets of wheels.