Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Closed Thread

Old 14-01-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Just to add the clubs do not have to change software, just advisable I guess. I think the major national brca championship will be RC4 software and Mrt will not work. Lets continue to discuss this, good debate
Old 14-01-2013
Mad Member

Default hmm

eventually, most things need to be upgraded/changed to move with the latest technology.

nicads/lipos

brushed/brushless

27meg/40meg to 2.4ghz.

and PT's will be the same.............

Anyone with the amb will be ok on the newer software, MRT sadly looks like it may not.

as mentioned, there is plenty of time till its needed to upgrade if its needed eventually to move forward then it will have to be done.

I dont think the mrt's will be worthless as many clubs that do not run a national/regional etc will prob stick with the older system for a long time to come.
AMB may offer a trade in with mrt's so watch that space.

I would advise anyone(as been mentioned) if buying a PT now, Only get the Harry/AMB ones. so you can race all over for a while to come.

Its still in its infancy the newer 4 system, so time will tell what clubs do.

Personally i say hold off until absolutely needed on the software upgrade front.
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 15-01-2013

One of the reasons Yateley Rc club went under was the fact that if you did not run the latest car/speedo/motor and so on then there was no point in racing because you never had a chance of EVER getting in the top three .because there was no budget racers there was no club in the end .
I think budget races are important to any club !!!.
Plus there would be no one to purchase old gear from people who love to upgrade

Gary
Old 15-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobson1970 View Post
One of the reasons Yateley Rc club went under was the fact that if you did not run the latest car/speedo/motor and so on then there was no point in racing because you never had a chance of EVER getting in the top three .because there was no budget racers there was no club in the end .
I think budget races are important to any club !!!.
Plus there would be no one to purchase old gear from people who love to upgrade

Gary
Wrong the reason yateley went under was because of restrictions put in place by the head master and the pta. i don't run a top of the range buggy but i put in time on setup and i race as much as possible that's how you make top 3
Old 15-01-2013

Hi James
I no it was not as black & white but it did not help the problemas you no i am a crap driver but i love racing .
All i am trying to say is please dont push out the budget driver .
people who race for the fun not just the winning .

Gary
Old 15-01-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
you no i am a crap driver but i love racing .
Stick me into your bucket with you Gary!!!
Old 15-01-2013

There is no reason y the new software can't do mrt they aren't changing hardware which could effect timing system

I think the clubs should at lease maybe chat to the software ppl as lots of ppl don't want to waste £76 on a pt when they have a working one when they need tyres spare stuff that keeps ppl going
Old 15-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Stick me into your bucket with you Gary!!!
Whereas I am a great driver but the PT system seems to think otherwise and always adds an extra 3 or 4 seconds to my lap time.

I say upgrade now to resolve this mis carriage of justice

Not helping am I?
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 15-01-2013
SHRCCC Legend

A brief reminder...
"RC3" WILL count all AMB PT's, Mylaps Harry's and MRT's but WILL NOT count the new Mylaps Purcy.

"RC4" WILL count all AMB PT's, Mylaps Harry's and new Mylaps Purcys but WILL NOT count the MRT PT's
Old 15-01-2013

Hope you don't mind an outsider adding 2p worth, but remember that the BRCA sections will/should only update their timing system if the members agree. If the members at the section AGMs don't agree the new RC4 box is needed, then there is no need to update.

I race at a few clubs and none are even thinking of switching for fear of alienating their membership, and their membership are seeing the need for change.

The biggest problem will be when/if a clubs decoder breaks down beyond repair and they have to go for the new box with the new firmware.

I would agree with some of the above recommendations, if needing to buy a new pt, get a harry.

I think this will be a constant battle between the two companies for a long time to come, mylaps cancel mrt from counting on their system, mrt get it fixed, then RC5 comes along and cancels it again.

I say if what you have isnt broke then dont spend the money updating something that works perfectly fine.

As i say, just an outsider adding a view, feel free to ignore.
Old 15-01-2013

so please correct me if i am wrong but the new amb pt's will work the current software as well as the mrt's ,but if the software is upgraded only the AMB's will work ,so if you are a racer that travels to race at other clubs or someone getting there first pt then get a AMB unit (thats fine).
but if you dont travel and there is no change to software then everyone with the mrt's dont have a problem .
So why do it .I dont get the advantage ?.
as they say if its not broke dont fix it !!!!!!!!

Gary
Old 15-01-2013

Quote:
so please correct me if i am wrong but the new amb pt's will work the current software as well as the mrt's
The new PT's (Purcy's) will only work with the new software.
Old 15-01-2013

what will Purcy do that harry doesnt and mrt ?
Old 15-01-2013
Mad Member

Default Lots

Basically, the new Percy will have a .1 after it. There is a long winded explanation for it all somewhere on oople. It's all techno crap really.
I say stick with the RC3 for now and see what happens. It will run all the current PT's and as such not put off any budget racer.
SHRCCC is a club racers venue and holding a few big scale events won't matter to the overall scheme of things, in my opinion. It will take a while till everyone gets the newer PT's so leave as is for a while.

That's my opinion.
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 15-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARTMAN View Post
Basically, the new Percy will have a .1 after it. There is a long winded explanation for it all somewhere on oople. It's all techno crap really.
I say stick with the RC3 for now and see what happens. It will run all the current PT's and as such not put off any budget racer.
SHRCCC is a club racers venue and holding a few big scale events won't matter to the overall scheme of things, in my opinion. It will take a while till everyone gets the newer PT's so leave as is for a while.

That's my opinion.
One thing worth considering for your club the same as we have just had to consider at Watford.

If a new racer comes along, just about to start up racing for arguements sake, trots along to his local or favoured shop, buys said new car, radio, ESC etc etc and then needs his own PT. So he has three main choices, go find a "copy" for want of better word (by that I mean an MRT) or one of the genuine AMB/MYlaps units, the same make as the decoder used by his new club? Well most will "probably" say the "real deal" the genuine Mylaps. So he trots off to the BBK, to find the slighlty older Harry, that works universally on all decoders is £76, but the all new and updated Purcy is just over £10 less at £65, so what is stopping him choosing this newer version that is actually less money, the possability his new club wont support the newer and cheaper option in favour of supporting the "copy", after all the cost to update for the club itself is zero, the software update for the decoder is FREE....... If it were the other way around, that Harr's were cheaper and Purcys where £10 more its a no brianer, stay with RC3, but when new owners are forced to spend more, there will be pressure from racers to update to allow them to save money (especially if they have more then one car) and use Purcy(s)

When put like that, it puts the clubs under pressure, plus, do we (as clubs) want to turn people away who have invested in the newest transponders or do we have a hardcore who have gone out and brought the cheaper copies (MRT)...

It is a real awkward one, we at DMS MCC oursleves are still not 100% sure what to do for the best (and we dont have any "regular" racers using MRT's) but we still have to think of those who visit once in a while or when we hold larger meetings (regionals etc), at presetn we are edging towards upgrading to RC4.........
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 16-01-2013

Obviously as its a public forum you are all able to state your own opinions, but what THIS club does should be decided by its membership and as such, does not matter in the slightest what you do at your club...
I just do not see the relevance of you giving your opinions here...
Old 16-01-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Thought Darren stated the facts well without really giving an overall opinion. It's a very difficult subject and one that will rumble on and on around the scene for the next 12 months for sure. We don't need to do anything yet but as Darren rightly stated, what would you buy?.

My personal view is that perhaps we should all run the old red Harry... which works on both softwares to cover all basis.
Old 16-01-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_UpGrade View Post
Obviously as its a public forum you are all able to state your own opinions, but what THIS club does should be decided by its membership and as such, does not matter in the slightest what you do at your club...
Oh, and chill out, just cos you have to see the inlaws this week
Old 16-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_UpGrade View Post
Quite simple, I would not have wsted my time posting if I did not think it was relevent but because it was brought up at the recent regional meeting (that involved your club and ours) and discovered that ALL clubs in our region are in the same boat on this issue. What one club does locally (ie in the same region) does affect all the others around it, since many racers travel to more than just one it can affect them if their local club may not cater for their chosen PT either now or in the future...

The last thing any club wants is to make the wrong choice and alienate any racers from running at their own club.

Since TORCH announced at the meeting (as did Stotfold) that they WILL be updating to the newer RC4 decoder software it has put pressure on all of us to consider our options too, since if members of those clubs visit us and have PURCY's, we (and you) cannot cater for them and likewise if members of SHRCCC or DMS visit either of those clubs and have an MRT very shorlty, they would not be catered for either. A unity for all clubs in the same area could well be the way forward, esecially when the new technology is cheaper than the previuos version and there is no cost incurred by the clubs to accomadate this.........
Old 16-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Thought Darren stated the facts well without really giving an overall opinion. It's a very difficult subject and one that will rumble on and on around the scene for the next 12 months for sure. We don't need to do anything yet but as Darren rightly stated, what would you buy?.

My personal view is that perhaps we should all run the old red Harry... which works on both softwares to cover all basis.
The only issue with that Neil as was pointed out at the meeting, the Harry is the most expensive PT of all, more than the MRT and the PURCY. Logically it makes sense, since it works on all, but from a clubs point of view it is a nightmare knowing what to do for the best....... You go the RC4 route you upset everyone with an MRT, you stick with RC3 and upset all the new PURCY owners..........
Closed Thread