Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Ribble Valley R/C Car Club

Old 26-11-2011

Default Ideas on the race format

In the New Year we will be running a good number of fun nights before the start of the new leagues so we have plenty of time to try out different ideas.
A few lads asked last Friday if we could run with only 8 racers in each heat.
If we run with 7 heats of 8 buggies and 1 heat of Mardaves, it would take 64mins per round (with 2 mins in between each race)
5min races – 2 heats and 1 final.
With the first race at 19.40 the last race would finish at 22.28.
As we only pay for the hall until 22.30 we would have to be very smart in putting the track away, which if I’m honest there is a core of racers/non racers that do this week in week out.

Your thoughts on this or any other ideas welcomed

Peter
Old 26-11-2011

Could we start off when the track is built with 2 mins of practice for each driver and start racing at 19:30 so we have some headroom if more drivers turn up?
Old 26-11-2011

You can have 30 mins practice if the track is up by 19.00hrs.

I can start the first race at 19.30hrs if the track is built and everyone has booked in, this would give another 10 mins to play with.

Peter
Old 26-11-2011

I suppose you could increase the number in each race to 9 if more turned up but if we do have the 4WD and 2WD split up, it may not work out?
Old 26-11-2011
Banned

If you're worried about getting done early enough in the evening, especially if people are asking to run fewer cars in the heats, then how about running 1/2 time heats (in other words, if your normal finals are 6-min. in duration, run 3-min. qualifiers).
Old 26-11-2011

Default Lots of racers

I think this club is really booming now and I am just wondering what happens when there's 75 buggys at the club because the way things are going I don't think that will be too long!!
Old 27-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce View Post
If you're worried about getting done early enough in the evening, especially if people are asking to run fewer cars in the heats, then how about running 1/2 time heats (in other words, if your normal finals are 6-min. in duration, run 3-min. qualifiers).
The more heats you have by cutting them down, the more rounds you get but all the 2 minute intervals add up so it is better to have two 5 minute rounds rather than three 4 minute rounds and you only lose a minute's racing (15 vs 16 minutes)
Old 27-11-2011

I think the majority would probably rather keep to three four minute heats ..At the moment I really can not see a solution to not having ten in a heat as the club is so popular. Me and Matt C are doing our bit as we have decided to run mardave class after the end of this series mainly because of the amounts of racers and the type of driving thats happening in the top heats. I will occasionally run buggies in the new year depending on how many racers there are. To be honest Pete I think your better off just keeping it as it is because I think only running two heats would put a lot of people off the only other solution possibly is to try and get the track built quicker and start earlier but that means more people need to help getting track together and as most weeks its the same people doing it I don't know if it could be done
Old 27-11-2011
Banned

Mardave!
Old 27-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman758 View Post
Mardave!

Old 27-11-2011

Thats what I'm afraid of Mark, we can just about manage with 60 racers.

Like I said on Friday in the New Year we will try running a 4WD heat with the top ranking drivers in it, the rest will have to go in with the 2WD. With the same driving style this may negate the need for reducing the numbers in the heats.

What about having a set of racers putting the track up before 19.00, they would have a free nights racing (if its up before 19.00)

More people are talking about moving over to Mardaves it would be good to see this class grow.

Peter
Old 27-11-2011

I was just having a chat with lee about it He was saying someone had come up with the idea of an extra roll of carpet which sounds like a really good idea as it would open the track up wide enough to be able to take the extra amount of cars also then you would not have the problems between the 2 and 4wd cars as there will be more room. If you split them up you will have Lads like adam running a 2wd racing against lads that he will probably lap 5 times or more in heats and finals
Old 27-11-2011

I don't mind helping set up the track just sometimes can't always get there for half six? Always try help putting away but like I say will help out were I can
Old 27-11-2011

All help with the track is appreciated whether at the beginning of the night or at the end. I know not everyone can be there on the dot.

The idea of an extra roll of carpet puts pressure on the storage area, but is not impossible, it will extend the track set up time.

Peter
Old 27-11-2011

I think it is about time we brought the mardave into the 21st century.
I know the club has always run the 4 cells and tin can which is still fun and keeps everyone the same but at most clubs around the country have now gone the 1s lipo and 13.5 brushless which you might think is going a bit expensive but if you add it all up it is about the same.
you only need one lipo instead of 3 packs of 4 cells also u do not have to mess about with cleaning the comm and finding a decent motor.
I think running the 4 cells and tin can puts a lot of people off the mardave.
I can spend hours on a thursday night discharging and balancing the cells which is becoming a bit of a drag i just want to turn up put some gripper on my tyres and race.No hastle.
I know there are rules for the mardave league but everyone knows we are all fighting for the 3rd place trophy
Also you might think haveing a brushless motor gives you an advantage in the mardave but end of the day you still have to learn how to race them.
Old 27-11-2011

[QUOTE=suggy007;587554]I think it is about time we brought the mardave into the 21st century.
I know there are rules for the mardave league but everyone knows we are all fighting for the 3rd place trophy

I want to race g2 motors and 4 cell old skool rules and watch out top two we are coming
Old 27-11-2011

Two seperate leagues then if we have enough racers
I think you might find though within lap times there will not be much difference between the 13.5 brushless 1s lipo and the g2 motor 4 cell.
Old 27-11-2011
Banned

Nahhh old school is where its at
I had a good night friday with the mardave.

But yes!! Another roll of carpet could work, It seems the best idea so far?
it would allow the track to be much wider.

Old 27-11-2011
Banned

[QUOTE=tisher;587582]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suggy007 View Post
I think it is about time we brought the mardave into the 21st century.

I want to race g2 motors and 4 cell old skool rules and watch out top two we are coming
Yes we are

BE AFFRAID
Old 27-11-2011
Banned

mardaves dead and done and only for.........nah im not gonna say it