Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > Events Organiser > 10th Off Road Events

Old 25-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
What tyres would be used? As mini-pins fluff up the carpet and loose grip for the onroad stuff
Different carpet, so don't worry, use razor blades if you like :-) maybe not that would just be stupid and against health and safety. Mini Pins will be fine. I will be looking for a Tyre Sponsor/control tyre, I will select one that most people already own so as not to impact peoples beer funds and hopefully get a deal where we can all benefit on savings in our pockets ££!! If I can't then I will leave it open. Won't have one for the sake of having one, there's got to be something in it for all of us right? :-)
Old 25-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbizzle5 View Post
Sounds awsome! Ill be there.
i assume you mean so long as it's not the 1st sunday of the month as you will be at broxtowe
Old 26-07-2010
Mad Member

sounds like it could be good....

however, IMO, a 2-dayer seems a bit intense for a winter series and having practice all saturday for those that that don't have other commitments (such as work, family etc) perhaps provides too much of an advantage.

maybe a straight 1-dayer would be a fairer series...?

correct date selection is going to be important too.

the winter is going to be pretty busy this year
Old 26-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post

however, IMO, a 2-dayer seems a bit intense for a winter series and having practice all saturday for those that that don't have other commitments (such as work, family etc) perhaps provides too much of an advantage.

maybe a straight 1-dayer would be a fairer series...?
Agreed
Old 26-07-2010
Mad Member

I am up for this, and i am sure i can get some of the hinckley guys to come over as well

As others have said a two day meeting could be tricky for some and i would be able to just make the one day most of the time.

If you ran minipins, or maybe have schumacher minispikes as a control tyre, as lots of people will already have these from the racing in the summer. So save a bit of cash for people.

Will you be planning on maybe having a off road meeting before the winter series starts?, so we can see if there are any problems and to see if anything needs to be fine tuned ?. Happy to pop over and help out
Old 30-07-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post

Will you be planning on maybe having a off road meeting before the winter series starts?, so we can see if there are any problems and to see if anything needs to be fine tuned ?. Happy to pop over and help out
if you run a pre-series meeting as Jonathan suggests and the date works for me, I think I would pop over for a run

as for winter series dates, you would need to try and avoid clashes with other local series in the area for best turnout, such as Broxtowe and Coventry (avoiding the legend that is Worksop, well that goes without saying, unless you wanted to run a the series for those that don't fancy racing/can't get in there).
Old 09-08-2010

Ok so Here's the cunning plan:

One weekend a month we will lift the on-road carpet to reveal a 480 sq.m wooden base. On this base we will paint a track layout using green and red floor paint (green where you drive, Red where you don't) and we will mix in some very fine grit so as not to cause too much wear on tyres. Track markings will be in the form of old hosing. Then we will cover approx 70% of the track with a mixture of carpet and astro turf that will go over jumps and bumps that we will make with OSB boarding, tables, with thinner ply to achieve a smooth take off and landing. A few of us (me included are old buggy racers so we get a feel for what you are looking for but open to listen to advice).

The dates I have in mind that avoid Worksop and Broxtowe are as follows:

Please note the track will be available from Saturday lunchtime on the day before each of these dates, but just for open practice so you can get some testing done ready for the Sunday. This would cost £5 for as much track time as you like and open to everyone, not just those racing on the Sunday.

Rnd 1 - 24th October
Rnd 2 - 28th November
Rnd 3 - 19th December
Rnd 4 - 23rd January
Rnd 5 - 27th February
Rnd 6 - 20th March

With a Series Finale and personalised trophy collection and demo race at the Kick Energy Rally Show at Chatsworth House on an outdoor track in front of 5000 people to promote buggy racing! Date to be announced.

Any comments? Feedback? Open to ideas/suggestions.
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

Sounds promising!

Any plans to "test" the track surfaces prior to the first round?

Are you planning on control tyres? And how many rounds to count?

Nov 28 and Feb 27 clash with the MAM series run between Coventry and Kidderminster (they clash with 2 Coventry rounds) which might force people to choose which they series they run, rather than running in both.
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussmart View Post
Ok so Here's the cunning plan:

One weekend a month we will lift the on-road carpet to reveal a 480 sq.m wooden base. On this base we will paint a track layout using green and red floor paint (green where you drive, Red where you don't) and we will mix in some very fine grit so as not to cause too much wear on tyres. Track markings will be in the form of old hosing. Then we will cover approx 70% of the track with a mixture of carpet and astro turf that will go over jumps and bumps that we will make with OSB boarding, tables, with thinner ply to achieve a smooth take off and landing. A few of us (me included are old buggy racers so we get a feel for what you are looking for but open to listen to advice).

The dates I have in mind that avoid Worksop and Broxtowe are as follows:

Please note the track will be available from Saturday lunchtime on the day before each of these dates, but just for open practice so you can get some testing done ready for the Sunday. This would cost £5 for as much track time as you like and open to everyone, not just those racing on the Sunday.

Rnd 1 - 24th October
Rnd 2 - 28th November
Rnd 3 - 19th December
Rnd 4 - 23rd January
Rnd 5 - 27th February
Rnd 6 - 20th March

With a Series Finale and personalised trophy collection and demo race at the Kick Energy Rally Show at Chatsworth House on an outdoor track in front of 5000 people to promote buggy racing! Date to be announced.

Any comments? Feedback? Open to ideas/suggestions.
So how about:

Rnd 1 - 24th October
Rnd 2 - 28th November
Rnd 3 - 19th December
Rnd 4 - 23rd January
Rnd 5 - 20th March
Rnd 6 - 10th April

Best 4 to count.

We would do a one-off trial race in September most likely the Sunday 19th September. Any one fancy being the first to race buggies here.
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

Sunday 19th is the 4wd End of Season finals for F3/4/5 @ Silverstone...
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Sunday 19th is the 4wd End of Season finals for F3/4/5 @ Silverstone...
So that would be OK then if it's just a trial race, even if we get 10 people at least we can have a shake down for the start of the series. Do the other dates work? Any other clashes you can think of?

Really appreciating your help here, thank you :-)
Old 09-08-2010

Send a message via MSN to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

Sound great the only problem i see is that Your first date clashes with the 3 day Worksop players meeting which could affect your series getting off the a flying start! Also the 3rd round in December clashes with the Batley series at Chadderton which being 100 miles away may not be that much of a problem. If that is the case it may be best to try moving the October date to the 31st which would clash with the Chadderton date but miss the Worksop players! As for tyres i would think it best to go with Schumacher mini pins as this is the controlled tyre for Worksop and seem to be the tyre of choice at every winter indoor event.
Old 09-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

will you be running an SCT heat as there are alot of people who own them

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 09-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Guys, they can't avoid all of Worksop/Broxtowe/Batley/MAM etc, it jut doesn't work, these dates look a good compromise although just maybe avoiding the players with round 1 would be good?

MAM is best 4 from 8 (2 at each track to count), Batley allows dropped scores too, maybe we encourage people to drop the odd round at places and try different tracks etc? Remember you only need 4 counting rounds here as well!

Personally I am tempted to do just enough rounds to count at all of WBMCC/Batley/Ardent/Broxtowe plus then Worksop and enjoy racing all over the place!! Either way I like the sound of this series!!
Old 09-08-2010

So how about:

Rnd 1 - 28th November
Rnd 2 - 19th December
Rnd 3 - 23rd January
Rnd 4 - 20th March
Rnd 5 - 10th April
Rnd 6 - 1st May
Finale - Kick Energy Rally Show at Chatsworth House, date tbc (Does not count towards title)

Best 4 out of 6 to count.

We would do a one-off trial race in September most likely the Sunday 19th September I know this clashes with an event at Silverstone but sure there must be some buggy racers free to test our facilities :-). Any one fancy being the first to race buggies here?.
Old 09-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I should be able to make that, the Silverstone event excludes F1/F2 grade drivers (although rightly many team drivers go and support people there) so some should be available, plus many who haven't entered Silverstone!
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

Personally, I think you'd be better having the final round in April rather than 1st May - can you squeeze one into Feb instead?

I would also prefer to see the series starting in October rather than end of November...
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussmart View Post
We would do a one-off trial race in September most likely the Sunday 19th September
Can't make that one personally (at the Silverstone meeting), which is a shame. I must pop over at some point to check out the facilities though, as I am pretty local...
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Personally, I think you'd be better having the final round in April rather than 1st May - can you squeeze one into Feb instead?

I would also prefer to see the series starting in October rather than end of November...
Just want to check I have this right as Feb is pretty much Broxtowe Worksop Worksop Broxtowe.

Is Broxtowe on the 6th Feb
Then Woksop on the 20th Feb
Then Coventry on the 27th Feb
Then Broxtowe and Worksop on the 6th March?

If so that only leaves 1 weekend the 13th and unfortunately that is the weekend of our on-road winter series.

if I have any of those dates wrong then I will definitely do a Feb round so we finish the series earlier. Also as far as starting earlier is concerned what about we start in September (5th) or is that too early? the only date I have free in October is the 31st or the 24th but that clashed with Coventry I think.

This is the hardest part of doing a series but again I REALLY appreciate your help :-)
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

September 5th is the F2 End of Season finals, so that's probably a non-starter too!