Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 02-04-2010

Thumbs up A Lazer Zx-r for racing

For all bored Lazer (and kyosho in general) fanatic I think it's time to start a new thread .

Probably someone will remember my restoration one (here: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37223); unfortunately still not complete as I have to wait the Kamtec body repro ....
However as promised there it is finally time to build another Lazer but this time for racing !!!

And when I say racing it means that will run among modern cars (Schumacher, Durango, Associated, Hot Bodies, and so on ....); do you think I am totaly crazy ?
Onestly I don't thik so, however I'd like to read your opinion (and advice ...) here.

Ok, let's stop talking, it's time to start !!

Ema
Old 02-04-2010

Problem 1: the battery placment.

I decided to run again the zx-r chassis because it is possible to choose the battery configuration you prefer.
Honestly I don't like at all the saddle configuration, so I have to found a way to secure the stick lipo battery.

My idea is quite simple, I use a small pice of teflon in order to secure the battery at the rear and I get some rc12 body mount in order to replace the standard battery ones because they are too short to use with a lipo.

I know it is possible to make a better holder, however using this solution I did not modify the chassis and/or any lazer parts, so I can improve the design in the future (probably the weight distribution is not the best available ...).

Old 02-04-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I can see one problem, the belt rubbing the battery. Ive designed the lipo saddle pack holder so why not use that.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 02-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I can see one problem, the belt rubbing the battery and top deck may be lower than battery. Ive designed the lipo saddle pack holder so why not use that.
Don't worry , I already checked that there will be enough clearance between the battery and other elements.

You have also to consider that this is an MKII chassis, so the batteries(battery) are (is) placed a little backward compared to the standard one and the belt is a little higher in that position.

At the moment I only own stick lipo battery and I also like the idea of having less wires inside the car, however I don't made any chassis modification, so if I change my mind I can return to saddle configuration.

P.S. I'm glad to know you suggestions as your knoweledge on the Lazer platform is really huge .
Old 03-04-2010

Some fresh parts before starting the build !!!

A new set of rubber shielded bearing ....

A Zx-r MkII motor plate (new) and an good condition 48dp Rw Racing spur gear (hope it will do a good job in the slipper department)

Together with the MKII motor mount it's necessary to use the latest kind of LA31, the one with the recessed area for the motor
Old 03-04-2010

Another choice ... gear or ball diffs ?

I'm tempted to start with the gear diff because I prefer the easy maintenance, at leat during the first test runs.

Plus for the ball diffs I'd like to wait the new "Welshy Design" smoother pulley !

Old 03-04-2010
Mad Member

or something like these

regarding the teamline hubs yeah i can trade just have to deside with what...
i´ll get back to you...

mvh Isobarik
Old 03-04-2010

I personally go with the gear diffs, not the white Diff halves that iso has as they will snap unless you can set the drivetrain to 70 percent rear as they were designed for a touring car. But the diff ball gears iso has are superb. Gear diffs got me some great results and can handle the power but the slipper had better be set correctly.
Answer UK team driver
Old 04-04-2010
Mad Member

Those white complete diffs i got for the white pulleys they looks so good...and they have a ballbearing in the center...

mvh Isobarik
Old 04-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobarik View Post
Those white complete diffs i got for the white pulleys they looks so good...and they have a ballbearing in the center...

mvh Isobarik
My kyosho prototype diffs are almost identical except they are made in metal. Two bearings, one in the outdrive and one in the centre of the pulley. Super smooth. How much for one set of outdrives as im tempted to send off to a machinist and have more made seeing as mine are wearing out.
Answer UK team driver
Old 04-04-2010
Mad Member

What do you mean one in the outdrive is it instead of the axial bearing or ????

I can lend you mine so that you may have them copied.

mvh Isobarik
Old 04-04-2010

Quote:
What do you mean one in the outdrive is it instead of the axial bearing or ????

I can lend you mine so that you may have them copied.

mvh Isobarik
One of the out drives has a bearin in it and the diff gear in the middle as well. The idea is a good one as there is no resistance due to the two bearings.

I will take you up on that at a later date when i have found the right machinist.
Answer UK team driver
Old 05-04-2010

Quote:
or something like these

regarding the teamline hubs yeah i can trade just have to deside with what...
i´ll get back to you...

mvh Isobarik
Those white pulleys are the one designed by Whelsy or something else ?

Thanks for the Team Line hubs, I will update my item list as soon as the build will going on

P.S. Seems that you are really smart in finding vintage aftermarket hop up parts for our kyosho .
Old 05-04-2010

Quote:
I personally go with the gear diffs, not the white Diff halves that iso has as they will snap unless you can set the drivetrain to 70 percent rear as they were designed for a touring car. But the diff ball gears iso has are superb. Gear diffs got me some great results and can handle the power but the slipper had better be set correctly.
Another couple of questions ..

Is it possible to fill the gear diffs using some diff oil ? Or you have only to use some standard grease ?

When running the ball ones is it necessary to rebuild them often ?
Old 05-04-2010

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ema View Post
Those white pulleys are the one designed by Whelsy or something else ?

Thanks for the Team Line hubs, I will update my item list as soon as the build will going on

P.S. Seems that you are really smart in finding vintage aftermarket hop up parts for our kyosho .
Iso is learning from the master, me. Still his skillls are good at sourcing.

I found most and designed a lot for all lazer zx, zxr, zxs and the lot made by fibre lyte are because i sent the originals to them, i also supplied kamtec with the zxs and tomcat shell. I also designed the tub chassis for the zx and zxr. Still cant find the original as i sold it.

Also due to persuasion we can now get rare items such as layshaft gears,diff gears and gearbox cases for these cars from dyna.

Ive thoroughly tested these items and i can ruin most things in a short time and the quality speaks for itself as ive not managed to kill a diff or layshaft gear yet.

Ive also done a mod on the zxr and all info is placed on radiocontrolzone.com under the lazer zx,zxr,alpha thread from page 8 onwards. May interest you.
Answer UK team driver
Old 06-04-2010

Quote:
Iso is learning from the master, me. Still his skillls are good at sourcing.

I found most and designed a lot for all lazer zx, zxr, zxs and the lot made by fibre lyte are because i sent the originals to them, i also supplied kamtec with the zxs and tomcat shell. I also designed the tub chassis for the zx and zxr. Still cant find the original as i sold it.

Also due to persuasion we can now get rare items such as layshaft gears,diff gears and gearbox cases for these cars from dyna.

Ive thoroughly tested these items and i can ruin most things in a short time and the quality speaks for itself as ive not managed to kill a diff or layshaft gear yet.

Ive also done a mod on the zxr and all info is placed on radiocontrolzone.com under the lazer zx,zxr,alpha thread from page 8 onwards. May interest you.
Don't worry Welshy, I know that you are the master !

I also know your huge development made on the Lazer chassis; I'm also really glad that you want to share (or shared) everithing with us .
Old 06-04-2010

Time for some updates !!

Bye bye phillips screws !!

Old 07-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ema View Post
Don't worry Welshy, I know that you are the master !

I also know your huge development made on the Lazer chassis; I'm also really glad that you want to share (or shared) everithing with us .
These websites are just for that - sharing, and if you make something that you believe is nice I think its got to be shared. Still I am more than happy that there are people just like me with the same passion that I can share my ideas with - thanks for making my day.

PS - Iso is catching me up rapidly. I have to admit he has got a talent for finding things which I was unable to. Top notch!!!

The slipper looks good, and for your reference Rob Gammon (team Kyosho Driver in the UK used a 99 spur gear on high grip surfaces, and I tried it and give just a fraction more top end at the end of the straight so may be worth trying out when you decide to run it.
Answer UK team driver
Old 07-04-2010
Mad Member

The pulleys are from RW-racing the last he had they are machined so they are absolutley true....

he could make more but he wouldnt do less then 20 if i remember correctly

the complete diffs i got from an LHS

mvh Isobarik
Old 07-04-2010

They do look the dogs b***ocks in white and cant wait to see your completed zxs. I know its going to be superb.
Answer UK team driver