Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Newcastle RC Racers

Old 01-03-2011

Default Newcastle R.C. Racers @ TyneMet

Newcastle RC Racers run at Tynemet College every Monday night from 7-10pm except bankhols - directions and address are:-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf...e&ved=0CAQQ_BI

looking at the TyneMet location shown it's the White Building on the lower right

Tyne Metropolitan College
  • Battle Hill Drive
  • Wallsend
  • NE28 9NL

Gentlemen

Well we had our first race meet at the new venue last night and it went very well!
4 of us there for doors opening at 7 with another five arriving within minutes enabled us to have the track set up by 7;30 with the first heat on the line at 7:40.
11 of us in total racing last night with a few notable absences - where were the rest of you – but on the plus side, 2 old members turned up to see what was going on and have promised to come back to race (see you next week Colin & Paul) Also a young lad who has a car and his dad who had a play with Johns old car and who seem keen to come back.

Strangely we were short of buggies for the first time in a long while, ending up running two TC heats with Mr Hindson opting to run his TC rather than buggy. He did however revert to the buggy by round 3 as he wasn’t winning resulting in a mixed heat and very good close mixed racing. Even them he had to lengthen the straight on which he had the speed advantage in order to eventually win! (any more cheating measures you could come up with for next week will NOT be welcome!)
We WILL be back to running buggy heats next week I imagine – with jumps if that’s what is preferred.

The floor was clean with a fair amount of grip and more importantly was very predictable enabling nice controlled 4 wheel drifting without nasty surprises mid corner – so who is going to be the first to try rally blocks?

The podium issue seems to have resolved it’s self with the gym’s benches being arranged to certainly provide an adequate platform although not perfect.

Last final finished by 9:30 and we were out of the hall by 9:50 so all in all a very good first nights racing there – now lets get the numbers up, we need 15 racers to cover the cost of the hall at £5 each per meet!

Ross & Dytham take note of the start & finish times for RACING – we’d rather you ducked set up or clear up than ducking racing altogether!

Gripes, suggestions and new racers are very welcome!

Hope to see more of you there next week

Mark

Last edited by lazysurfer; 15-09-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: The threads getting long so it seems sensible to have the time & venue on the first post
Old 01-03-2011
Mad Member

Sorry i couldnt make it lads!

I was really up for it until late yesterday afternoon when all of my plans changed! The joys of being Self-employed!

I have heard fom a few of the buggy lads who said that they will start attending in a week or so time, just a pity im moving down to Surrey next Sunday night, fingers crossed i can make it a few nights.

Good luck in this taking off.

Chris
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 01-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68nufc View Post
Sorry i couldnt make it lads!

I was really up for it until late yesterday afternoon when all of my plans changed! The joys of being Self-employed!

I have heard fom a few of the buggy lads who said that they will start attending in a week or so time, just a pity im moving down to Surrey next Sunday night, fingers crossed i can make it a few nights.

Good luck in this taking off.

Chris
You bunking down with blitz to be a southern fairy chris.......?

I will be there in a couple of weeks work permitting. Can't wait guys...
Old 01-03-2011

Cheers for a good night Mark.
Grip was good and like you say no nasty surrises mid corner which makes a huge difference to a lap. Now people can actually try some set up than just coping with lack of consistant grip. Rally blocks on order. Well done for everyone who helped and made the first night such a good first event.
Old 01-03-2011
Mad Member

4 weeks and Ill be a Monday night racer
Old 07-03-2011

Ok, its our second meeting at TyneMet tonight. Be good to see some new faces bring a car along to see what the new venue is like.
And don't forget your pit tables!
Old 08-03-2011

Folks

Well our second week at the new venue seen a good turn out, 7 buggies and 9 TC’s.
Despite being a bit of a rush we still managed 4 rounds of 3 heats qualifying and 1 final for each class. And yes buggy lads, there were 2 jumps!
Buggies winner was Paul Hindson and TC’s Gary Campbell.
Prize for most improved driver goes to Harry, while he claims not to have been racing for a long time I suspect he’s been secretly practising somewhere qualifying second and flying all night!
Nice to see a few old faces pop along for a look again, Jim & Gary, bring your cars next time and race. Also to have Bill Allison who I haven’t seen in ten year since I raced Nissan turn up join in the buggies. Hope to see you back next week.
A few I expected to be there weren’t, Gary, Jason, Colin, Ian - where were you.
See you all next week and lets see if we can beat 16 racers
Old 08-03-2011

Hi everyone, new to the forum, thought I would join and ask if its ok with peeps if I could pop along to the next meeting, just to see what its all about, the types of cars your running etc. Its been a long time, probs going on 15 years since I ran i car of my own, a Schumacher Cougar if memory serves me right and I loved it and I am sitting at work and got into a conversation about hobbies and that particualr time popped into my head. This led to me internet searching for local clubs to see if anything was still going and there you all were. Granted at this point I dont have a car to run and it would be a steep learning curve to catch up on everything thats changed over the years but I guess I had a few questions that if you dont mind I have listed below.
1 - What is the most popular car type these days? Electric or Fuel, Buggy or TC?
2 - Can you recommend (im sure there are many options but keep it simple) what car i should be looking at to get started again but also that I can grow into and tweak as I progress?
3 - Are you the only club in the area and are you specifically indoor or do you venture outside/offroad?
4 - Whatever happened to the model shop just off shields road, was it called Phils?

Anyway, ill leave it at that for now and if you dont mind ill try and pop along to a meet and say Hi,

many thanks for your time, much appreciated
Old 08-03-2011

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie and am also looking at coming along next week hopefully.
I would also like some advice on a good buggy (pref) to start out with.

I just sold my nitro buggys which i was just bashing with, and got sick of breaking them every time I went out.
I'd love to get into racing, and TyneMet is just around the corner for me!

36CF, Phills Models is still there, on Nile St in North Shields. Going strong by the looks of it. I call in now and again and its always busy.

Joe,
Old 08-03-2011

Chaps, please call along next week and have a chat with the guys there, everyone has their own personal preference to kit and many have both pro's and cons so it's worth hearing a few opinions, and it depends on your budget i.e. best new car vs second hand options etc.

Crazyfists - electric is the predominent class in the North East, I think the Nitro boys travel a fair distance to get some racing (Jonny am I right!?)
There a quite a few clubs around tbh, though ours is the best !

In summary:
Tynemet - Mondays - Touring & Buggy
Benfield School - Fridays - Buggy
Barley Mow - Firdays - 1/12th scale and touring
Seaham - Sunday - Buggy
Teeside - Various - Touring, F1, Buggy?

For outdoors there is a regional buggy series which runs May to August at various venues from Morpeth down to Doncaster, about one per month.

Carlisle have an outdoor touring circuit which normally runs April to October.

Hope this helps! We have plenty room for new members (and spectators)!
Mardave V12 AC12-S
Old 08-03-2011

Thats great lads thanks loads for replying. Ill def try and get down for the next meet. Its good to know electric is prominent, a tad more what im used too and budget wise its always better. All buggies will 1/10 right?

Phills models, man thats a blast from the past :-)

Andy
Old 09-03-2011

Yeah guys, please come along and have a look, always plenty people will spare the time to give you any help and advice.
Phills Models is now on Nile Street in North Shields still with the Old Guy himself and Gary behind the counter!
I'm sure they'd be pleased to see any customers from as far back as Heaton Road!!!
Old 09-03-2011

And yes Andy, buggies and TC's are all 1/10th
Old 09-03-2011

Do you run 2WD or 4WD?
I'm mainly looking at buggies, something like the Team Associated RC10B4.1 Brushless to get me started, but didnt want to look into 2WD when everyone else is running 4WD.

I should be down on Monday to meet you all too!

Cheers,

Joe
Old 09-03-2011

4wd is the most popular choice. easier to drive on a wooden floor unless talent dictates otherwise i suppose. like previous posts visit and talk to others.
Thanks for the inserts for the rally blocks i was trying mr. hindson.
I do think with proper inserts to open the block on these tyres will make them grip better. Though not as fast as new mini pins wear was better than the new mini pins i used the previous week using a softer compound. Slower than other drivers until their tyre wear affected them and then was on thier pace. Plus some better set up on my car too. Think yellow blocks compared to the softer white i was using could be as good with proper inserts. Worth trying some new things anyhow.
Old 10-03-2011

Cheers Joe, hope to see you Monday then. We're there from 7 but racing won't start before 7:30 and to be honest between 7 and 7:30 we're all pre-occupied running round like the proverbial blue ar$ed fly setting up track, laptop and cars. So 7:30 onwards if you're coming for a look and a chat will be better - tho you're more than welcome to come and help with the track!!!
Old 10-03-2011

Default videos

Couple of videos from monday's racing

http://www.youtube.com/user/MMWRACIN.../1/QK2MNaLwDmU
http://www.youtube.com/user/MMWRACIN.../0/KFbgedPfVBQ

Couple more of the indoor series at seaham and teeside on there as well.

Pictures are on the website as www.mmwracing.co.uk
Old 10-03-2011

Send a message via MSN to baD Send a message via Skype™ to baD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike West View Post
Couple of videos from monday's racing

http://www.youtube.com/user/MMWRACIN.../1/QK2MNaLwDmU
http://www.youtube.com/user/MMWRACIN.../0/KFbgedPfVBQ

Couple more of the indoor series at seaham and teeside on there as well.

Pictures are on the website as www.mmwracing.co.uk
so glad you fixed the focus on the first one before too long - I was half way through making an appointment at the optician

good vids
Old 11-03-2011
Mad Member

Hope to be able to turn up this coming Monday, Please dont tell me its not on!!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 11-03-2011

Its on every week chris. hope to see you there.